Recommendations for in-ground pool pump?

I think my pump for my in-ground pool is ready to fail any day now. It's a bit louder than it used to be while running. The problem is when it starts it sounds like all heck is breaking loose inside it.

The only way I could describe the sound is if you rebuilt a motor DRY and then threw some pebbles in it, then try starting it. THAT's the sound!

Any recommendations or experience in the matter?

Sounds like your bearings are going, is it leaking water?
You can have it rebuilt if its not too bad, But it might cost about the same if you get a new one. Hayward is a good brand to go with. I am running a new pump called Wisperflow made by Pac Fab, it is the quietest pump on the market. I would stay away from Jacuzzi pumps if I was you.

Mine died a couple of weeks ago. It was only about $200 for a brand new one.

One of the advantages to Hayward is that everybody seems to stock parts for them so if you need a new gasket or whatever on a Saturday afternoon you have a good shot at finding one locally.

You can have the motor and pump rebuilt locally but with the price of a new one I'm not sure that it makes sense.

I have a Hayward pump and heater. I would recommend them.

Brian
94x

If you have a 2hp motor you must have a big pool, or the pump is far away from the pool. Did you just open your pool?
If so the bearings might have some surface rust on them from sitting all winter in one place, is this is the case the pump will start to sound better with use. If it starts to get worse its because tour seal has gone and is leaking water onto the bearings. It might be too late to save the motor if water is leaking into the bearings, because it leaks all over the motor and rusts eveything.
Your better off getting a new one.

FYI I own a pool company. :)

You own a pool company? Wow, I think nsxprime has the answer to just about any question!

I opened the pool in mid-may. The pump just started making that racket about a week now. So I go out in the rain tonight and take the pump off (cutting the power first of course;) ). I get the thing apart and find what I think is two problems. I have ZERO experience with pumps.

The first problem is that it appears that loose metal has gotten into the system and bent/scratched stuff in several areas. I'm guessing that the manufacturer wants the shaft to be perfectly balanced so there are little metal nipples welded on to an area in the front and back on the main shaft (this is only my theory/guess btw, based on common sense). Well, somehow one of the nipples has sheared off and gotten loose. I couldn't find any bits of metal though.

The second problem is rust. The manufacturer recommends the pump NOT to get wet and the installers put it right out in the open. The shaft is very rusty and inside the pump housing (which appears to operate like an alternator with brushes and windings) is a bit rusty also.

I'm really not sure what to do at this point. Either scrap this pump, try to find someone good to rebuild it, or clean it and throw the sucker back on my filter and hope for the best.

Thanks alot for the suggestions.

hlweyl said:
The second problem is rust. The manufacturer recommends the pump NOT to get wet and the installers put it right out in the open.[/B]

This is not a problem, the pumps are built to stand up to the rain, and are expected to run 24 hours a day for 5 years.
The main thing that hurts these pumps is, the 2 dollar rubber seal lets go, then the water gets into the motor.

hlweyl said:
The shaft is very rusty and inside the pump housing (which appears to operate like an alternator with brushes and windings) is a bit rusty also.[/B]

This is the problem.
The impeller sucks the water into the basket and has a rod attached to it that goes into the motor. There is a rubber seal around that rod that keeps the water in the wet end.
Clorine breaks down the rubber seals, its just a matter of time until it fails.
When it starts to leak out, you might see a wet spot under the pump.
That tells you its time to replace the 2 dollar seal.

On some of the newer pumps you may never see the wet spot, and the water that is leaking will go into your bearings and wreck you motor.

hlweyl said:
I'm really not sure what to do at this point. Either scrap this pump, try to find someone good to rebuild it, or clean it and throw the sucker back on my filter and hope for the best.
Thanks alot for the suggestions. [/B]

I would start by cleaning the rust off.

If you get it fixed your going to have some down time, they have to order the parts in that should take some time.
Then the motor still might have problems from the water that was getting in.

Just buy a new one off e bay, you can them there cheaper then you can at your dealer.

Back