Recommendations for HID Converstion Kit?

The other night when I almost when off the road, I decided to upgrade to HID kit. The OEM light are horrible, it's almost like driving with 2 flashlights and I can't see 500ft in front of me.

Can anyone direct where to purchase the HID Kit? I heard Xenon are good HID?
Anyone on Prime selling HID Kit (NEW)? What's the average price for the kit? $300.00. Also what's recommended for the watt? 6000K??

Talk to Erick, most of the guys in Orange County Cali is using his system.

EVOF575GTC is his prime name.

A good guy to work with.

The other night when I almost when off the road, I decided to upgrade to HID kit. The OEM light are horrible, it's almost like driving with 2 flashlights and I can't see 500ft in front of me.

Can anyone direct where to purchase the HID Kit? I heard Xenon are good HID?
Anyone on Prime selling HID Kit (NEW)? What's the average price for the kit? $300.00. Also what's recommended for the watt? 6000K??
The key is to get a high quality product. There are a lot of low quality HIDs out there that use cheap and unreliable components. Most are made in China. Most are $80 shipped on eBay. The only Japanese kits are Catz and Belloff. They are good but very expensive. I just came back from Toyko and they are $800+ usd. Some "Catz" are not made in Japan. There have been questions about their authenticity too. Beware many so called "Made in Japan" products other than genuine Belloff and Catz. These are actually made in China but are labelled as "Made in Japan".
I use an excellent kit called Mcculloch which is assembled in Hong Kong and owned by a Taiwan company. I have sold many on Prime.
Steve

I installed Cliffud's kit very recently. It works great ... the quality of the kit is very high. The instructions are quite good. If my fingers were a bit smaller, the installation would have been way easy. As it was, finguring things out a bit beforehand made it go smoothly. Cliffud is very responsive and his customer service excellent.

Selwyn

The key is to get a high quality product. There are a lot of low quality HIDs out there that use cheap and unreliable components. Most are made in China. Most are $80 shipped on eBay. The only Japanese kits are Catz and Belloff. They are good but very expensive. I just came back from Toyko and they are $800+ usd. Some "Catz" are not made in Japan. There have been questions about their authenticity too. Beware many so called "Made in Japan" products other than genuine Belloff and Catz. These are actually made in China but are labelled as "Made in Japan".
I use an excellent kit called Mcculloch which is assembled in Hong Kong and owned by a Taiwan company. I have sold many on Prime.
Steve

Steve has the best kit out there IMO. He sent super detail instructions, pre-drilled inserts, and even a set of gloves!! :) I would recommend him any day! Super great guy to deal with and great customer service! I installed them on my lunch break!!

I used to have 5000K McCulloch and it was a trash. Waste of my $300+ and the ballast was starting to die after like a year.

Have you considered getting a PIAA 3 Stage HID? The normal HIDs are 35W but with this one you can adjust 25W to 45W.

http://www.piaa.co.jp/hid/hid_conversion/hh49_ts.html
ts_img03.jpg

I used to have 5000K McCulloch and it was a trash. Waste of my $300+ and the ballast was starting to die after like a year.

Honestly, just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean that the brand is trash. No matter how good of a brand of something is, there WILL be defects that happen.
Who did you get your kit from and did you try and get it replaced?

Honestly, just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean that the brand is trash. No matter how good of a brand of something is, there WILL be defects that happen.
Who did you get your kit from and did you try and get it replaced?
I am not sure who I got it from, it was long time ago so I don't remember. The seller had 100% positive feedback on eBay tho.
I didn't try to get replace it since it only had a year warranty, however, even if it was under warranty I would have to pay the shipping for both ways.

I am not sure who I got it from, it was long time ago so I don't remember. The seller had 100% positive feedback on eBay tho.
I didn't try to get replace it since it only had a year warranty, however, even if it was under warranty I would have to pay the shipping for both ways.
Many brands including Mcculloch had reliability issues in the early days of HID era. I did not even start out using Mcculloch until they have gone to the 4th generation ballasts. So far they have been extremely reliable and even more so with the 5th gen ballasts I currently use. Another positive aspect of Mcculloch is the components that they use on the kit. The wires, casing, connectors are very solid, heavy gauge, and of very high quality. I will soon stop using Mcculloch because I want to have smaller components. I have thought about using the "Xetronic" compact digital ballasts which are reportedly the smallest in the world, very efficient and reliable according to other HID vendor on Prime. However, they are substantially more expensive. If there is a demand for them, I would build my kits based on those tiny digital ballsts for $399.
Steve

Agreed. That is the best kit out there, period. I have the same one.

I think we need to temper statements like this with "IMO." Zaino or Zymol? It's clear that we all don't see eye to eye. You ask which is the best kit on the HID forums and they will overwhelmingly tell you it's Philips. A blanket statement like "Best kit out there, period" in this case doesn't hold water with me. How do you qualify this statement?

My requirements for a good kit are reliable ballasts, good bulbs, and most importantly relays to power the kit. That's why I recommend Cliffud's kit over others, not just the fact that you can save a lot of money, too. The 6000k kit puts out a lot of usable light, the ballasts are reliable and rubber injected to be weatherproof, and the kit is as safe as can be because it uses relays.

Steve's kits are probably the easiest to install since they come with dustcaps and you just plug them into the existing car harness. That might be better for you!

So we're lucky that we all have several choices. There was a really good discussion about which kit to choose in this thread. I recommend you spend some time reading through it to help with your decision.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and opinions. I value everyone's statements and views on various HID kits. I don't doubt that both HID kits are very reliable and high quality products.

I know that which ever HID kit I end up getting will be very good and reliable.

Talk to Erick, most of the guys in Orange County Cali is using his system.

EVOF575GTC is his prime name.

A good guy to work with.

I have Erick's kit on my car and it still works great. They sell the same kit for a much higher price in the Japanese mini mall and don't offer installation.

Pics during daylight - Xetronic with 6000k D2S bulbs.

hl1.jpg

hl3.jpg

Contact both for pricing since both got good reviews. That might help you a little.

Awesome wealth of info here - thanks guys, this will help when I get the car!

Quick question: what is the actual size of the low beam? 9006? D2S bulbs?

What do you guys do for the high beam? Is that also same size so if we buy two kits we can have both projectors on? (sorry for the newbie questions!)

thanks
rick

What do you guys do for the high beam? Is that also same size so if we buy two kits we can have both projectors on? (sorry for the newbie questions!)

thanks
rick

Rick,
I never changed my high beam bulbs from OEM halogen. I never need them anymore since my HID's work so well. I guess you could use the same bulb, I would have to look to make sure, but I don't think it would be any brighter just because it is in the high beam location.
I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable HID guy's can answer this better than I can.

I thought 02+'s were HID already?:confused:

I had the Xetronic kit when I had the flip-ups, so all I needed was the D2S bulbs when I converted my car to 02+..my car is a 98.

Awesome wealth of info here - thanks guys, this will help when I get the car!

Quick question: what is the actual size of the low beam? 9006? D2S bulbs?

thanks
rick

91-01 (low beams are 9006, high beam 9005)
02-05 (low beam changed to D2S)

Hi

I started out buying a kit from Steve for my low beams.

Then I changed to LED's for the parking lights. Then I bought HID's from Steve for my foglights and the high beams.

The funny thing is that I live in a part of the world where there are daylight all season I have the NSX out. Well I have been HID'ing away late this summer in the dark and the amount of light I got is just awesome.

It takes a few moments until the high beams are all warmed up, but it is not a problem at all. When I need to power them down I power them up again when the meeting cars have passed and usually it takes only seconds and I have full light power again.

Regards

The OEM light are horrible, it's almost like driving with 2 flashlights and I can't see 500ft in front of me.

I'd check to see if your lights are aimed and assembled correctly.
The OEM lights while not as bright as HID's, are certainly sufficient and should not be as you describe.

Back