Recommend a compact truck with 4 doors and a small bed

I'm tired of not being able to haul my bikes, toys, shopping contents home due to the roof on my SUV.

I am contemplating buying a 4 door compact truck with a small bed.

Recommendations please!

I am thinking right now of the Nissan frontier with 4 doors and small bed. But I had a Nissan truck before and sold it because it was falling apart at 180k miles.

PS - this vehicle would help me haul my big ass DLP TV home, since my SUV wouldn't be able to fit the TV inside. :mad:

My roommate has an '05 Tacoma Prerunner with the TRD package. I think it was around $24K out the door and it's a VERY nice truck. It has plenty of power, the composite bed looks to be pretty durable and it has a good bit of versatility for hauling different loads.

It has plenty of room for four adults and the interior is top-notch. I think you should take one for a spin. :)

Buy a full-size with either a crew or extended cab. The smaller ones just don't compare in towing, hauling or comfort. You won't fit that 60" DLP in the back of a mini bed you need a regular sized bed (unless you stand it on end - not a good thing) the boxes are huge. Don't take my word, you need to drive a few then make a decision.

ss_md said:
Buy a full-size with either a crew or extended cab. The smaller ones just don't compare in towing, hauling or comfort. You won't fit that 60" DLP in the back of a mini bed you need a regular sized bed (unless you stand it on end - not a good thing) the boxes are huge. Don't take my word, you need to drive a few then make a decision.
Thanks. In that case can I borrow your truck, doc? :p

Domestics were the ones who made up the truck, and now the imports are owning them. Just go for the Nissan Frontier. Get a used one with the supercharger and thats it. All for well under 10Gs

I'll second the recommendation for the Tacoma, it simply can't be beat for reliability, resale and overall utility. Its also the only crew cab you can get with the standard size bed, which might help with your hauling. The Nissan would be a good bet as well, but the way I look at it, the Nissan will probably be reliable and hold its value well, but with the Toyota its an absolute, based on a longer track record. It amazes me what used Tacomas sell for.

Will

Are the new Tacoma's suppose to have a V8 option?

ss_md said:
Are the new Tacoma's suppose to have a V8 option?

I haven't heard that, but I also put my vote in for the Tacoma. I'm not sure how big the bed has to be, but have you also looked at the Ridgeline? I'm still not 100% sure on the exterior looks, but go drive one. I'm sure you'll like it as I did.:smile:

I have a 97 Tacoma and other than doing the reg maintenance, I've only spent $50 on a battery (it lasted til this year :eek: ) since I bought it.
I'd recommend getting the new Tacoma. They have a new crew cab one with a longer bed (6') but you have to get the auto trans with that one as well all the options. If you want a crew cab and short bed you can find a good used one or get a new one. I think some of the new ones have a 6 speed manual option.

You might pay a little more for a Tacoma vs other trucks but you'll be glad you did in maintenance and resale value.

special edition from the factory...

Recommend a compact truck with 4 doors and a small bed

tb_tt_detail_400x300.jpg

sjones said:
I was pretty pleased with the Ford SporTrac

I was going to suggest that as well. I don't think you'll get the ride and features of the Toyota or Nissan but you'll get the price...I have a ranger truck and it gets me around for a cheap lease but I don't think it's a great vehicle at all, can't wait to turn it in this May so I can get anothe Honda/Toyota Sports Car from the mid 90's :biggrin:

dave22 said:
My roommate has an '05 Tacoma Prerunner with the TRD package. I think it was around $24K out the door and it's a VERY nice truck. It has plenty of power, the composite bed looks to be pretty durable and it has a good bit of versatility for hauling different loads.

It has plenty of room for four adults and the interior is top-notch. I think you should take one for a spin. :)

I bought the same Tacoma PreRunner SR5 truck with the TRD package for $26,800.00 out the door... The Tacoma is my daily driver, its a v6 (245hp) and it takes regular gas :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Mike

personally, I don't think you can go wrong with the toyota if it's big enough for your needs. there are exceptions to every rule, but they're basically indestrcutable and i have two friends that still have theirs (now "beater" cars as third or fourth vehicles) and other than routine maintenance they're still going strong as hell at more than 150K miles on the clock.

NsXMas said:
I'm tired of not being able to haul my bikes, toys, shopping contents home due to the roof on my SUV.

I am contemplating buying a 4 door compact truck with a small bed.

Recommendations please!

I am thinking right now of the Nissan frontier with 4 doors and small bed. But I had a Nissan truck before and sold it because it was falling apart at 180k miles.

PS - this vehicle would help me haul my big ass DLP TV home, since my SUV wouldn't be able to fit the TV inside. :mad:
best choice is a
1. tacoma
2. tundra because of it's unique rear window slide arrangement.
but terrible gas mileage.
3. close third is the ridgeline but don't get a flat with the bed loaded!!!

Back