• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommend a battery to me!!

I've never had trouble cranking the car with the OEM battery, and mine is now over 8 years old. It has started with normal starter speed at temperatures of about 20F/ -7C.

At how cold a temperature are you planning to use & start the car?

Magazines such as Consumer Reports have measured the CCA on a number of batteries, and there are surprises with some brands. What brands are available in your area?

I think you will find that battery recommendations will be like the discussion on the best oil to choose. :smile:

OEM ACURA battery is made by Interstate. IMO Interstate makes excellent batteries, I have had very good luck with them. I read a post here recently where an owner had the same OEM battery for 7-years!

Keep in mind that if you do select a different battery you may also need to source extra parts to ensure that it fits, for example the Odessey and Optima batteries. See the battery mounts here at daliracing.com http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse.cfm?typeID=179#179

Be sure to purchase a Battery Tender Plus http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_2 and you will really be able to extend the life of your battery.

Good luck!

+1 for the Honda (Interstate) battery. If you want a bit more capacity, get the one that's for an auto. trans NSX. It's a bit bigger & heavier, but has more capacity. The local dealer had both in stock and they were the same price. That's what I did and it's been fine for me.

BTW - I got a bad Costco battery surprisingly (wouldn't hold a charge for a day). They refunded it, no questions asked. I would've tried another but they were out of stock when I went back.

Odyssey PC1500.

I've had the best luck with the batteries from Checker Auto, 800 CCA or greater, last for many years, I change them at 5 years whether doa or not. I've tried DieHard's and many others, I still come back to Checkers.
(I've heard only a couple battery manufacturers make ALL the auto batteries- they just get re-named, I haven't confirmed that.)

I got an eveready from sam's,,its always ready:wink:

I've changed to the optima. IT was pricey vs. the interstate ($130ish), but when i removed my old battery there was a fair amount of corrosion.. and I've been stranded once in my nsx thanks solely to corroded battery terminals.

I was told that because of the gel in the optima vs. the lead acid of the standard battery, there is no corrosion issue. I already had corrosion working its way up the main battery lead into the nether depths of my nsx... and I don't want to pay someone to replace it or get stranded somewhere.

not to mention it's a hassle in my car to mess with the battery because of my aftercooler resoivoir.

i did the optima yellow top on the rec of my mechanic,who said he'd put them in some other nsx'x with no problem

Dont waste your money on a optima, Worst battery for the money, Mine lasted 2 years, Went with a OEM ACURA battery only 80.00 should last 5 years, My old miata had a panasonic battery, got 6 years out of it!

Dont waste your money on a optima, Worst battery for the money, Mine lasted 2 years, Went with a OEM ACURA battery only 80.00 should last 5 years, My old miata had a panasonic battery, got 6 years out of it!

I heard they don't do well with stiff suspensions.

Something with the internals being weak......

Certainly second the recommendation for the odyssey. This is especially true for these cars since my 91 has a 37ma parasitic draw. Curiously my 94 Legend has a 37ma parasitic draw as well. This small draw will take a fully charged battery down to ~80% within 2-3 weeks. At 80% charge level the battery will start to sulfate. The odyssey handles this better.

The other option is an Interstate Megatron-Plus battery. I would keep a float charger on it after one-week of storage. A flooded lead acid battery should get an equalization charge a couple of times a year to keep it healthy. However, you would need a constant current/constant voltage charger to get it up to ~15.7v for a couple of hours.

Dave

My AC Delco Battery (dates 07/99) and still alive and kicking :smile:

Its smaller and lighter than the OEM battery and for under $90.00 its a bargain. ( I'll get the part # if anybody wants it).

I sold and stocked Interstate batteries and had too many claims/ warranties.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Charlotte has had an Optima Red Top under her skirt for the last 5 years and 173,000 miles with no issues.

For those of you that don't drive their car as much as I do, using a Battery Tender (or similar) is a good idea to extend the life of your battery. It will prevent a complete discharge and the accompanying sulfating of the cells which can reach a point where even a full charge won't revive the thing.

If you have no idea what I just said, Google is your best friend. :)

Hugh your miles may vary as you are in warm Fl. Us colder climate folks need a little more cold cranking amps.

I love my 15 pound Braille racing battery and I sure don't miss the 25 pounds it saved over my OEM battery. It wasn't cheap but my NSX deserves the best. That is why I also bought a billet aluminum mount for it.

Back