Recently Purchased NSX....Maintenance Question

Hi All,
Recently purchased '93 NSX with 130,xxx miles. Miles seemed high to me but the seller had a full history of maintenance from the same dealership as they only have one tech that works on the car. I checked out the service history with the service manager and he showed me that the 90k service was completed but the waterpump was not replaced. I thought that was the life of the WP?

I wish i would have gotten the Service manager to print out the history but here was the major things I gathered at the 90k service:

- replaced Belts and hoses
- Oil Pan seal replaced
- WP inspected
- Suspension boots replaced

Anything major missing here that I should look at?

I've read all the wiki articles before purchasing and found the buying guide, service interval, and things-to-look-for guides very helpful. Thanks in advance for the help.

when it says belts replaced it doesnt actually say Timing belt replaced.
and since they didnt do the waterpump odds are the timing belt was not done.

add that to the list of items that you need done before you start tearing up the road.

High miles dont mean Shit on an NSX. if it was well cared for then no worries.

check this link out I always tell new owners or future owners to read. you should have found this one in your WIKI search but if not here it is

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/includes/htup_0810_acura_nsx_buyers_guide/index.html

enjoy the car. but def get the TB/WP valve adjustment done soon.

Welcome

add that to the list of items that you need done before you start tearing up the road.

check this link out I always tell new owners or future owners to read. you should have found this one in your WIKI search but if not here it is

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/includes/htup_0810_acura_nsx_buyers_guide/index.html

Welcome

Great find and very nice article. I will be purchasing mine within the next year and i cant wait!!

Welcome

Totally agree here... Its a 93... It should have had TB/WP done in 99, 05 and now again in 11 according to the official schedule. It isnt mileage, its mileage *or* time.

Now of course for whatever bizarre reason, most choose to just neglect this forever (the bizarre reason is that they don't want to spend $ for the engine out, btw)

If its your car and you want to take a gamble of $2k in exchange for a possible $15k engine failure, then thats your choice.

Buying used, I'd assume 100% unless there is clear written evidence to the contrary, that the prior owner(s) took the stupid money on the above gamble (meaning do everything except the work that is expensive and can lead to catastrophic engine failure)

What year was that 90k done and how much was it? If it was heading towards or over $2k, it MAY have been an engine out and TB MAY have been done, but unfortunately they left you with an 18 year old 130k mile water pump if so :(

Last edited:
There is no need to remove the engine for a timing belt. It's not a 355. Go over your receipts carefully to check the parts list & #s. The water pumps are not a problem on NSXs & are done precautionarily with timing belt since the labor is the same. If the previous owner or dealership can't document it for sure then it wasn't done. You'll have to make your own plans from there if that's the case.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Just checked with dealership again and apparently when the 90k service was done in '07 [at 104k], the 2nd owner took the car in and the tech found out that the WP and TB had recently been replaced by the previous owner.

That was the only documentation of it being replaced...I'm not sure what year or mileage. I'll assume it was '05 to be on the conservative side. In which case, it sounds like the TB will need to be replaced again.

so to add to the original list, things replaced were:

- Timing Belt ('05?? Inspected in '07)
- Water pump ('05?? Inspected in '07)
- Master and Slave clutch cylinder

I guess this means its time for another TB and WP change....kind of a waste after 30k miles...but I guess it has potentially been 6 years.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Just checked with dealership again and apparently when the 90k service was done in '07 [at 104k], the 2nd owner took the car in and the tech found out that the WP and TB had recently been replaced by the previous owner.

That was the only documentation of it being replaced...I'm not sure what year or mileage. I'll assume it was '05 to be on the conservative side. In which case, it sounds like the TB will need to be replaced again.

so to add to the original list, things replaced were:

- Timing Belt ('05?? Inspected in '07)
- Water pump ('05?? Inspected in '07)
- Master and Slave clutch cylinder

I guess this means its time for another TB and WP change....kind of a waste after 30k miles...but I guess it has potentially been 6 years.

Some here are pretty fanatical about the interval and would be scared stiff to drive it for fear it might break. If it was replaced in 05 and the WP - I wouldn't worry about it for a while. Now before all the other guys flame my tail for being cavalier with your money and it is YOUR chance and I am not going to warranty my advice - in Europe the manual is different - it is 60k mile regardless of time and don't ask me why there is a difference between the European manual and the one we have - ok. Whew with all that said are you taking your LIFE in your own hands well I have had a lot of conversations on this topic and there may be certain exceptions as in if you're immediately going to start tracking the car you'd be prudent to do it. But think about the pump for example - it is mileage driven - if you plan to put a lot of miles on the car then you wouldn't hav to do the pump at the same time - why do I say this? It's because everyone knows that a WP is good for more than 30k miles for heaven sake. Most folks when they remove the belt after than magical death defying 6 years it looks perfect - ohhhhh here it comes - you can't tell anything by a visual inspection but they are cracked due to some aging process or looking frayed or anything of the sort. Many have gone way beyond that interval and "lived to tell the tale" - ok but prudence and our manual schedule is not concerned with all this - nope it is clear it must be changed at 6 years or 95k miles - whichever comes first - geez. Anyway I would be one of those that would take a chance. Especially if I didn't intend to track the car or drive over 3500 miles year or 5k even and maybe go a death defying 7 or even 8 years - God forbid I said it.....someone will surely flame me to pieces over this AWFUL advice.

I've had guys off prime pm me with mechanics advice - not crummy mechanics but Acura really good mechanics saying nothing will happen with a little exceeding of the scheduled maintenance interval. So you make up your own mind and of course if it were to break - catastrophic or at least the top end - bent valves ohhhhh the dread of it all - true enough so you be the judge. But there are super mechanics on this site that have never in all their years of working on these cars seen a broken belt. I won't say anymore cause I am going to be just bombed for this but there you go- it's up to you. My advice is not the tried and true by the book advice FOR SURE!

I'd still like to see the records on this car - there is a lot more to it than the TB/WP service to be concerned with like the AC - is it working perfectly, the window thingys - how are they working - how's that stereo? Working perfectly - have you listened to it? Those items are all big pain in the ass and expensive things to have to do major work on, especailly the AC. So check out those records really well - if it's been around as long as it has then it could need some stuff. You can't necessarily trust these small time dealers - they may be ok - just sayin/.....

Tb/wp at 40k miles and 6 years, pssssshhhh. I love my car, change tranny, engine oil, you name it for lubrication longevity. But if ramon tells me dont waste money, come back in 65k or 70k, another 4 years, ill take his word on it since he the man.

I'd still like to see the records on this car - there is a lot more to it than the TB/WP service to be concerned with like the AC - is it working perfectly, the window thingys - how are they working - how's that stereo? Working perfectly - have you listened to it? Those items are all big pain in the ass and expensive things to have to do major work on, especailly the AC. So check out those records really well - if it's been around as long as it has then it could need some stuff. You can't necessarily trust these small time dealers - they may be ok - just sayin/.....

Tim,
Thanks for the feedback.

To answer those questions. The service history showed that the windows were "adjusted" we couldn't figure out what that meant as the original owner passed away and his wife only knows so much about the issues that the car might have had. FWIW, the windows both function properly. They're a little slower than my s2k but I expected that from what i've read here.

The A/C blows cold...but only on high...seems like a CCU issue. I've already contacted BrianK to get a quote on repairing the CCU board. The audio system was hard to test...the speakers were not working. But the original owner purchased a set of OEM replacements (with the intention of fixing this issues I suspect) that the wife found today....I will see if they include anything that is needed to address the speaker issue....that is not my top priority.

Further issues:
- Car does not start. Battery was dead when I went to look at it, the wife told me that a new battery was installed at dealers 6mo prior..with receipts. However, the security system seems to drain it. We tried jumping it but the car will not hold idle. I'm going to drain the gas tank and look at the fuel filter...also check the main relay as those are possible causes.

But to give everyone a little background, I purchased the car from a friend of the familie's. The owner passed away 3 years ago with the car sitting in the garage for the most part...his wife did her due diligence to start the car, drive it up and down the neighborhood and would put it back in to keep the fluids fresh and tires from cracking. She has finally decided to sell it and I jumped on the opportunity as the mileage does not reflect the car's age at all....it is in as good/better condition than my '05 s2000 with half the mileage.

This car has high sentimental value. The owner (2nd owner) has had it since '02 and he was a family friend. We began talking about cars when he saw my NFR s2000. We began chatting about Hondas...cars and one thing led to another and he brought up his NSX. I was shocked that he had one and he offered to let me drive it. After taking it up and down the street, I was in love with this car. Unfortunately, he passed away in late '08 and it was not until last month that his wife decided to sell it.

We worked out a deal over the last few weeks and here I am now. The car is still being stored at her garage until I arrange towing arrangements...unfortunately I won't be back in town til the 20th and won't be able to update you guys with pictures. In the mean time, I'm gathering up as much resources as possible to get this car back up and running that weekend.

Been reading up on this not starting issue. It seems like the common causes based on the fact that the car turns over but does not catch is either:
1) Ignition Switch
2) Main Relay

Can anyone confirm the proper steps to diagnose?

From reading, it seems that if I have the key on the "ON" position, I should hear the fuel pump. If not, then its the main relay.

If I hear the fuel pump and the car continues to stall, I should check the ignition switch.

Am I missing anything here?

Been reading up on this not starting issue. It seems like the common causes based on the fact that the car turns over but does not catch is either:
1) Ignition Switch
2) Main Relay

Can anyone confirm the proper steps to diagnose?

From reading, it seems that if I have the key on the "ON" position, I should hear the fuel pump. If not, then its the main relay.

If I hear the fuel pump and the car continues to stall, I should check the ignition switch.

Am I missing anything here?

I had what sounds like the same problem, it was spinning but not catching, ended up having to replace the starter. I have '92 with around 30K miles.

If the car starts, then immediately dies, its more than likely the ignition switch. I've seen this on several NSX's now, especially with cars over 100,000 miles.

As for the timing belt...has there ever been a documented case of a maintenence-related failure on an NSX? I haven't seen one, at least that was due to maintenence(crank pulley failures, yes).

I finally replaced the belt on a customer's 1997 with 27,000 miles. It was in perfect shape, but he insisted we replace it. At least it's good for another 15 years....

If the car starts, then immediately dies, its more than likely the ignition switch. I've seen this on several NSX's now, especially with cars over 100,000 miles.

As for the timing belt...has there ever been a documented case of a maintenence-related failure on an NSX? I haven't seen one, at least that was due to maintenence(crank pulley failures, yes).

I finally replaced the belt on a customer's 1997 with 27,000 miles. It was in perfect shape, but he insisted we replace it. At least it's good for another 15 years....

IIRC, Mark Basch has seen a few. I think LarryB had one that skipped a tooth, but I could be wrong about that.

Hey guys,
Thought I'd followup on my original post. Got the car this sat, replaced the ignition switch and the car started right up! Thanks Prime for the helpful info :)

Car is down with dash apart for HU replacement and CCU repair. Can't wait to get this thing back out on the road. Had the best two hours of my life after getting this baby started on saturday.

$35 and 1hr later....who would have thought! Also, the comptech exhaust is pure aural bliss.....no drone and perfectly deep sound....OMG.

Picking her up!
IMG_1107.jpg

On the trailer
Photo12.jpg

In the garage :)
Photo1.jpg

Already purchased a set of '94 wheels, just have to tires on them and I'll lap those bad boys on...more pictures to follow.

My list of things I want to do are:

- PAC I-Pod Adapter
- Smartenna
- Alarm system (Can anyone recommend a shop in atlanta to install the alarm? Or perhaps a good alarm system?)

Last edited:
Hello and awesome purchase! I'm very happy for you! Good to know you are in town. We'll have to round up sometime.

On the alarm deal - call Eiffel for a good referrence! 770-509-8883. I'd start there - he's a great resource!

Car looks fantastic and I actually like the old wheels! You got a super one and I know you are excited!

So many new owners in the Atlanta area, congrats btw that is by far the fastest color combo

9-11-11 Update
Finally had a chance to work on the car. There were some minor cosmetic issues with the bumper. Removed it to repair:
photo1-1.jpg

Thanks to NSXprime, the info here helped me get this sucker off without much drama.

Just washed!
photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Still planning on doing an exterior detail to address some paint defects. Over, paint is great.

Did an interior detail but no pics :(

Back