Re-thinking NSX ownership...(height problem)

I visit NSXPrime every single day, just browsing the For Sale section and drooling over my dream of owning an NSX some day. I feel like I've just had a heartbreaking realization that I might never be able to own one.

I have read so many threads about "tall guy" solutions to fitting in the NSX. Everyone that posts their fitment concerns are 6' to 6'3". I have heard all the solutions from, thin seat cushions to wide/low profile racing seats. I feel like none of these solutions would comfortably accomodate myself.

I am 6'5" and 250 lbs. The first and only time I've ever had experience in an NSX was riding passenger with a fellow Prime member which lastest about 15 minutes. The top was off, leg room was minimal and the stock seat was a very tight fit.

Now what's got me doubting my dream of ownership was a comment with-in the For Sale section about how the owner...6'2"...only ever drove with the top off because he couldn't fit properly with the top on. After I read that, I've really started to wonder if I'm just wasting my time on a car that I can't even drive.

It's just depressing to even think about giving up my dream of owning an NSX. I would really like your opinions on the subject. And if there are any "big guys" that have adjusted to NSX living, please chime in!

-Cole

Someone should sticky this. 250lbs does seem pretty big width wise i cant verify but i will say this......ur dream is not over. I literally took out my seat cushion so im lower than any racing seat set up. No joke im prob 1/2 inch off the floor. I can drive roof on or off, thats not so much the problem as the roof beam behind my head. Im 6'6 almost 6'7 and I fit. I weigh about 200 although i dont look it. So height you will fit no problem if i do. Weight i let my dad drive it and hes smaller, about 5'11 but weighs about 230 and he said car felt ok with exception his butt got sore sitting on basically the seat pan (but he is almost 50). Point is if that combination will fit, you will too. When i first sat in one (a 2005) my head was pointed down to fit. Now with no cushion its much better and i love turning my not so bucket seat into the ultimate lowest seat possible. If ur clostrofobic (spelling may be off) buy a 94 hard top and cut seat out of that. Let the dream continue :)

I am 6'7" and rocking stock seats with original seat cushions. There IS more leg room in the drivers seat then the passengers seat, I just scooch my fat ass a little further up the seat, little bit of slouching and I fit in with the targa top on and 1/4" to spare. Drove 1000 miles in a day with the top on and no issues.

Purchase the car. If you like the car enough, you will make it work.

QPDO

Edit: Oh... and I'm 215lbs

I am 6'7" and rocking stock seats with original seat cushions. There IS more leg room in the drivers seat then the passengers seat, I just scooch my fat ass a little further up the seat, little bit of slouching and I fit in with the targa top on and 1/4" to spare. Drove 1000 miles in a day with the top on and no issues.

Purchase the car. If you like the car enough, you will make it work.

QPDO

Edit: Oh... and I'm 215lbs

You too should cut your cushion out. It really makes the car that more enjoyable.

Someone should sticky this. 250lbs does seem pretty big width wise i cant verify but i will say this......ur dream is not over. I literally took out my seat cushion so im lower than any racing seat set up. No joke im prob 1/2 inch off the floor. I can drive roof on or off, thats not so much the problem as the roof beam behind my head. Im 6'6 almost 6'7 and I fit. I weigh about 200 although i dont look it. So height you will fit no problem if i do. Weight i let my dad drive it and hes smaller, about 5'11 but weighs about 230 and he said car felt ok with exception his butt got sore sitting on basically the seat pan (but he is almost 50). Point is if that combination will fit, you will too. When i first sat in one (a 2005) my head was pointed down to fit. Now with no cushion its much better and i love turning my not so bucket seat into the ultimate lowest seat possible. If ur clostrofobic (spelling may be off) buy a 94 hard top and cut seat out of that. Let the dream continue :)

OUCH
250lbs is pretty big width-wise. Shit, I'm calling Jenny Craig right now
Actually I am 6'1" & 285 lbs (yeah, I'm fat or maybe just big boned). The stock seat fits perfectly for me width wise. My head brushes the headliner but I have a -T. On the coupes I had a bit more room. I hadn't changed out the bottom cushion either. My only problems is bad knees from way too many years of Tae Kwon-do & thus the bending own to get into/out of my lowered car is a little painful/stiff but otherwise, once I'm in there it isn't much different then when I had an Accord coupe. Just my 2 cents

You should be looking at early model coupes since they afford more headroom than the Targa. I am 6'3" 220 and had no issues fitting in my coupe. I have a 36" inseam so I am pretty leggy. It all depends on how long your torso is. Legroom is usually not an issue with tall people in the NSX. I didn't even sit with my seat all the way back.

NSXFTW

you avitar pic changes alot with this chick that is smoking hot who is she? LOL

if its your wife or something then I am sorry for complimenting Her but damn she is one Nice looking chick.

yikes....

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a 38" to 40" inseam. I should probably start working off these love handles so I can fit more comfortably :smile: I have heard that the coupe's have more headroom than the targa models. I'll have to keep that in mind when searching.

I just wish I had more seat time in an NSX so I could get more comfortable with it. I commonly read "tall guy" threads that are just full of pessimists. If I remember correctly, I did fit snug into the stock seat. With a bit of slouching it worked out ok. But with the top off I couldn't get a real feeling of how much headroom I had to work with.

If I did get the Dali thin seat cushion, wouldn't the seat be even tighter than before? I know I'll get more headroom, but the lower I rest into the stock seat, wouldn't it get even tighter around my waist?

I posted a thread in the Chicago area section asking if there was anyone close by. I would love the opportunity to get more personal experience with the NSX...and meet some fellow members.

Last edited:
if you worried about the butt room. dont trash your dream yet.there is hope......

there is about 3 inches room on each side of the seat.

you could possibly take an NSX seat apart down to the frame.
cut it down the middle and weld in some spacers and now your NSX
has a drivers seat thast 6 inches wider than stock.

it wouldnt be hard. now you would then need to take it to a custom
leather shop to redo the seats but hey you got your dream car now.

you would have to measure how much exactly you will be gaining VS
going to the gym ya know.

not being mean in any way just facts ya know

if you worried about the butt room. dont trash your dream yet.there is hope......

there is about 3 inches room on each side of the seat.

you could possibly take an NSX seat apart down to the frame.
cut it down the middle and weld in some spacers and now your NSX
has a drivers seat thast 6 inches wider than stock.

it wouldnt be hard. now you would then need to take it to a custom
leather shop to redo the seats but hey you got your dream car now.

you would have to measure how much exactly you will be gaining VS
going to the gym ya know.

not being mean in any way just facts ya know

No offense taken :smile: I am built more like a football player these days, lol.

Ultimately I'll never know until I buy one and drive it for an extended period of time. I would assume there might be some initial discomfort until I find the perfect solution. I guess I'll just have to dive right in :smile:

NSXFTW

you avitar pic changes alot with this chick that is smoking hot who is she? LOL

if its your wife or something then I am sorry for complimenting Her but damn she is one Nice looking chick.

yikes....

Seriously.

Every time I see his avatar, more blood starts to flow in my groin and stuff starts to twitch.........

it sounds like you've only sat in the passenger seat.try to sit in a driver's seat,i think there's more room there. i believe the sub is under the passenger footwell,and that may take some of the room there.
i'm 6'1" and have plenty of room.

Seriously.

Every time I see his avatar, more blood starts to flow in my groin and stuff starts to twitch.........

She is my very long term gf. We have been together for 7 years next month. Thanks for the comments, maybe ill start swiyching the pic weekly ;)..... Or start something in the hottest girl you have ever seen thread so at least the pics would be bigger.

And to shawn, no offense at all. I try to tell her she looks good so this proves im not crazy lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a 38" to 40" inseam. I should probably start working off these love handles so I can fit more comfortably :smile: I have heard that the coupe's have more headroom than the targa models. I'll have to keep that in mind when searching.

I just wish I had more seat time in an NSX so I could get more comfortable with it. I commonly read "tall guy" threads that are just full of pessimists. If I remember correctly, I did fit snug into the stock seat. With a bit of slouching it worked out ok. But with the top off I couldn't get a real feeling of how much headroom I had to work with.

If I did get the Dali thin seat cushion, wouldn't the seat be even tighter than before? I know I'll get more headroom, but the lower I rest into the stock seat, wouldn't it get even tighter around my waist?

I posted a thread in the Chicago area section asking if there was anyone close by. I would love the opportunity to get more personal experience with the NSX...and meet some fellow members.

You should read my Bride seat thread :)

It has a lot of info about headroom - I'm 6'2 but nowhere as "wide" as you in terms of a football player size. I'm a 33/34 inseam and I have custom Bride seats that give me 2" of headroom but width wise it's a snug fit for my body type.

rick

You should read my Bride seat thread :)

It has a lot of info about headroom - I'm 6'2 but nowhere as "wide" as you in terms of a football player size. I'm a 33/34 inseam and I have custom Bride seats that give me 2" of headroom but width wise it's a snug fit for my body type.

rick

I have read all your Bride seat threads. Lots of good info there.

With the information you and others have given, I'm positive I would fit great in the NSX with new seats. But I would like to get as much info on the stock set-up.

See, I'm sure headroom can be fixed easily by modifying the stock seat cushion. My problem when I rode passenger was kind of like being in clothes 1 size too small :rolleyes:

I think being taller than 5'10" is over rated for the following reasons:

1. You can't be a secret agent since if you're too tall, everyone will see the secret agent coming - average is good to blend in the crowd.

2. Back problems

3. Most laws seem to protect the weak and meek. If there is a fight and police arrive at the scene and there are no witnesses, they will find the smaller person's story more credible with regards on who threw the first punch

4. Lastly, it's pretty dam tough to fit in some of the worlds most exotic cars being too tall - at least without looking silly. I saw this MTV Cribs years ago with Shaq showing off his car collection and he sat in his F360 and even with the car made for his height, it looked weird.

I think being taller than 5'10" is over rated for the following reasons:

1. You can't be a secret agent since if you're too tall, everyone will see the secret agent coming - average is good to blend in the crowd.

2. Back problems

3. Most laws seem to protect the weak and meek. If there is a fight and police arrive at the scene and there are no witnesses, they will find the smaller person's story more credible with regards on who threw the first punch

4. Lastly, it's pretty dam tough to fit in some of the worlds most exotic cars being too tall - at least without looking silly. I saw this MTV Cribs years ago with Shaq showing off his car collection and he sat in his F360 and even with the car made for his height, it looked weird.

1. I don't have to be a secret agent, I can be a straight wrecking ball.

2. We don't need laws to protect us because we make the laws. :wink:

But seriously, my girlfriend really wants to get an S2000. The only reason she wants a small car because she knows I could never drive it...bummer :mad:

one thing that is definitely a problem is when you try to let the chauffeur drive and you get in the back.
i don't recommend that.

it sounds like you've only sat in the passenger seat.try to sit in a driver's seat,i think there's more room there. i believe the sub is under the passenger footwell,and that may take some of the room there.
i'm 6'1" and have plenty of room.

i agree the driver seat has a lot more more. my buddy is 6'5" and roughly 240lbs and he didnt look to comfy in the passenger seat but has no problems in the driver seat.

Back