? re shipping a footlocker

i live in silicon valley and would like to ship a footlocker full of things to texas. dimensions are ~ 3' x 2' x 2' and it weighs ~40 lbs. i would appreciate any / all suggestions re cost-effective / guaranteed arrival shipper to use.

thx in advance for any feedback.
hal

I am thinking that UPS Ground would be the most cost effective. I would have them pack the locker into a box that is at least 2 inches bigger on all sides and pack it with peanuts. I would also insure the contents if they are worth more than $100.

I am thinking that UPS Ground would be the most cost effective. I would have them pack the locker into a box that is at least 2 inches bigger on all sides and pack it with peanuts. I would also insure the contents if they are worth more than $100.
i wondered about ups but (somehow) thought they only shipped smaller packages. i'll check 'em, out, thx much.
hal

UPS or Fedex ground. However, they have size restrictions. Not sure if your dimensions include packing. You may want to check out

http://www.dbschenkerusa.com/

I did a $$ comparo with your dimensions and the above website was half the $$ of ups. I don't know what their guarantee is nor how reliable they are.
I used to use BAX global who merged with them.

Jeff

Last edited:
Can't you just hide your stash behind the trim panels in your car like the rest of the runners? :biggrin:

The bigger question is what is IN the footlocker?

Who even uses footlockers but serial killers anyway? Hmmmmm 3'x2'x2' and ~40 lbs.? Sounds like a chopped up torso to me. I'm on to you! :wink:

The bigger question is what is IN the footlocker?

Who even uses footlockers but serial killers anyway? Hmmmmm 3'x2'x2' and ~40 lbs.? Sounds like a chopped up torso to me. I'm on to you! :wink:
man, i am soooo busted.

actually, when my wife and i married / blended our families 25 years ago, we bought four footlockers to store significant articles from our / children's lives. baby clothes, report cards, hand-made crafts, newspapers, awards, etc... things that might normally be misplaced / thrown out over the years.

when our oldest turned 30, we made a "this is your life" dvd / cd series that included all of the video / photos we'd taken over his life + interviews from his childhood friends. we also turned over (what we call) his "trunk". (talking with him about this yesterday, it turns out just last week he and his 13 year old went through his trunk and talked about his childhood / lessons, etc.)

now it's time to put our younger son's trunk in his hands and since he lives in texas, it's gotta be shipped.

no bodies, but a lifetime of memories :)

I remember that thread about that DVD you made. I think that was the first time we ever really chatted on here. I called you "Pops" at the time. :smile:

I was started to think that you were trying to ship some illegally imported Hoveround-R parts from Japan. :wink:

man, i am soooo busted.

actually, when my wife and i married / blended our families 25 years ago, we bought four footlockers to store significant articles from our / children's lives. baby clothes, report cards, hand-made crafts, newspapers, awards, etc... things that might normally be misplaced / thrown out over the years.

when our oldest turned 30, we made a "this is your life" dvd / cd series that included all of the video / photos we'd taken over his life + interviews from his childhood friends. we also turned over (what we call) his "trunk". (talking with him about this yesterday, it turns out just last week he and his 13 year old went through his trunk and talked about his childhood / lessons, etc.)

now it's time to put our younger son's trunk in his hands and since he lives in texas, it's gotta be shipped.

no bodies, but a lifetime of memories :)

Thanks for the clarification Hal. I thought you were talking about the footlocker you have mounted on the back of your Hoveround. I was wondering if you got rid of it how you were going to store you spares, gear and groceries.

Thanks for the clarification Hal. I thought you were talking about the footlocker you have mounted on the back of your Hoveround. I was wondering if you got rid of it how you were going to store you spares, gear and groceries.
ain't gonna happen, pal.

the bylaws of hoveround rangers expressly forbids the removal of the rear deck-storage unit; if i really wanted to lighten the load a bit, i'd use the hoveround bumperdumper. speaking of the hbd (as it's being referred to in hollywood these days), the bags also double as seal-a-meal bags as well as making great halloween treats for neighborhood kids... just be sure to double check that you're only passing out the clean ones.

ain't gonna happen, pal.

the bylaws of hoveround rangers expressly forbids the removal of the rear deck-storage unit; if i really wanted to lighten the load a bit, i'd use the hoveround bumperdumper. speaking of the hbd (as it's being referred to in hollywood these days), the bags also double as seal-a-meal bags as well as making great halloween treats for neighborhood kids... just be sure to double check that you're only passing out the clean ones.

I just got my rig back from the paint shop. Had the following painted on the back:

HOVEROUND RANGERS

SAN FRANCISCO CHAPTER

Getting my patches sown on my leathers later this week.

I just got my rig back from the paint shop. Had the following painted on the back:

HOVEROUND RANGERS

SAN FRANCISCO CHAPTER

Getting my patches sown on my leathers later this week.

And by "leathers" you mean your old wrinkly skin right? :tongue:

Back