Rationalizing NSX Purchase

So I'm seriously considering purchasing an NSX. I've been bringing this up in convos with my wife to soften her up. I'm somewhat informed as I owned a new 95 a few years back. I need a a 2nd car for some of my commuting I was thinking new but I then the thought of used NSX popped in my head.

The ideal car would be: Red (no black top) 1993 w/ 70-80K miles, lowered is good and slight mods ok. It would have to be in excellent condition and have service up to date with good records. No door dings. I would drive it 6K per year and keep it for 5 years.

Questions:
0) I'm thinking rationally?
1) Will the car depreciate significantly considering use?
2) What is the expected annuall maintenance costs?
3) Would a 1992 model suffice? (There are lot of 92s not many 93s)
4) Are there any specific gotchas? (other than on the Prime checklist)
5) Are 75K miles NSX tight?
6) Can I get this car for between $22K to $29K?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Thanks in advance.

LH

Questions:
2) What is the expected annual maintenance costs?
3) Would a 1992 model suffice? (There are lot of 92s not many 93s)
4) Are there any specific gotchas? (other than on the Prime checklist)
6) Can I get this car for between $22K to $29K?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Thanks in advance.

LH

0) Yes, more than you know.
1) No, see above
2) About 1/10th of a Ferrari
3) You betcha
4) You may be confused with a poser/celebrity/drug dealer/or car guy.
Dont know which is worst.
5) Yep; providing no Dukes of Hazard mentality previous owner. Look for plaid armless shirts.
6) Use the Force, Luke.

No problem with the questions as I've sent a bill in the mail, you should receive it in a day or two.

First of all WELCOME!

As for your questions:

0) I'm thinking rationally? Only your shrink can know for sure.
1) Will the car depreciate significantly considering use? Cars are not an investment. Don't ask questions like they are. If you are worried about depreciation put your money in the bank.
2) What is the expected annuall maintenance costs? This has WAY too many variable to answer. But, I think its safe to say you should expect $1k per year (roughly) over a longer period of ownership if the car is up to date now.
3) Would a 1992 model suffice? (There are lot of 92s not many 93s) Suffice? Compared to what? I love coupes.
4) Are there any specific gotchas? (other than on the Prime checklist) Find one with history. Maintenance that is :biggrin:
5) Are 75K miles NSX tight? No reason not to be on a properly cared for example
6) Can I get this car for between $22K to $29K? I don't know, can you? How good are your haggling skills? :rolleyes: But seriously, look and see whats out there. Don't skimp on purchase price only to have a car that needs more maintenance. Buy the BEST car you can afford.

Seems to me yes.

Depends on how you take care of it. If you keep it maintained it will keep it's value.

2) What is the expected annuall maintenance costs?

For an early model it really depends on how much maintainance has been done in the recent (5 years) past. Cars with very low miles but 15+ year old didn't need much maintainance in the past as if you don't drive them not much fails. The new owner will pay all the bills if he starts driving a low mile car. That's why I prefer higher miles (3k+ per year) car if I'm looking for a car to be driven. But that's personal preference.

Most earlier cars I've looked at had still the 1st TB, leaking brake master, worn side bolsters, BOSE or A/C not working properly. Good signs if the owner took care of it.

No, see 2)

Good luck!

Ok, I'm going to answer your email in your text.

The ideal car would be: Red (no black top) 1993 w/ 70-80K miles, lowered is good and slight mods ok. It would have to be in excellent condition and have service up to date with good records. No door dings. I would drive it 6K per year and keep it for 5 years. Answer to part of this: No black top ....all 93s will have a black top unless they've been painted. You must not know a lot about these cars. Read the market - check out the cars for sale. You'll find plenty of red ones usually. That's definitely one of the most prevalent colors out there.

Questions:
0) I'm thinking rationally? Yes, I'd say so - these are Hondas after all
1) Will the car depreciate significantly considering use? Shouldn't if you take care of it well - they depreciate less than any sports car out there, other than classics.
2) What is the expected annuall maintenance costs? You say you are only looking for a car with all the maintenance up to date. In that case your maintenance costs will only be oil changes and the usual you'd have with any car. Maybe a little more for routine maintenance but the big stuff will be out of the way if you stick to finding one with all maintenance up to date. That by the way is the hard part but they are out there. Patience will be needed.
3) Would a 1992 model suffice? (There are lot of 92s not many 93s) Yes, I just bought a 91 and I'd say a 91 would do too!
4) Are there any specific gotchas? (other than on the Prime checklist) NO! Here again you're talking about a Honda!
5) Are 75K miles NSX tight? They can be but when you get higher miles there are definitely issues for some you'll see in the cosmetic department. Here again you're talking a car with all maintenance up to date - it should be tight if properly maintained; these cars are capable of many, many miles!
6) Can I get this car for between $22K to $29K? Here's the trickiest question and I'd say it's possible but you're gonna have to get lucky to find one with 75k miles, all maintenance up to date in that range. However, I've seen some great deals going here lately. You gotta be ready with the funds and be fast to the draw when a real good one comes up - there was a red one that sold here just recently that had the maintenance up to date and only 50k miles for around 29k - And that was a smokin deal - that doesn't come along everyday. It also had some really great mods too! You should be able to meet your target but it may take a little out of your pocket to get it totally up to date in maintenance. Now is a good time to be looking!

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the information. Bummer about the all red car. I suspected that the depreciation would be very little if any, which is not what would happen if I purchased a new car. The rationalization is for my wife's benefit.

I had a 95 NSX and I considered it a jewel of a car, so I get most of what you guys speak of. I had the NSX for 5 years and it was car was very, very reliable. I think one year it was the most reliable car according to JD Powers.

Last edited:
Nothing's really changed since you had the 95. Go ahead and get another one. We're all behind you:biggrin:

Back