Rarity of NA2 coupes?

First off, I know they are very rare, but I am unsure how many are out there in the USA and what model years they were sold. I'm also well versed with the 1999 Alex Zanardi edition, but I have been unable to find stats on "normal" NA2 coupes. Could anyone provide me with links or verified information about how many were produced? Thanks very much!

anybody know the reason behind such beyond limited production numbers on coupes ?

anybody know the reason behind such beyond limited production numbers on coupes ?

Simply put... Americans preferred to buy the "t" model over the coupe. From 1997 - 2002 it was essentially no more difficult to buy a coupe vs. a "t" (recall that while the coupe was a special order, very, very few Acura dealers had NSX's sitting on the lot so in fact, most NSX's were also ordered cars) and most Americans chose the "t" model.

That's why I bought a 94 (the coupe rules) plus the price was very good at the time:wink:

Simply put... Americans preferred to buy the "t" model over the coupe.

Uggg. I would trade my NA2 targa for a NA2 coupe in a second!
I've had my car for over 2 years and have yet to take the top off other than to grease the seals.

Uggg. I would trade my NA2 targa for a NA2 coupe in a second!
I've had my car for over 2 years and have yet to take the top off other than to grease the seals.

And I share your opinion... I would have preferred a coupe too but finding a nice , unmolested, unwrecked 97+ coupe (that the owner would be willing to part with) is damn near impossible.

I know someone with a 2001 coupe Red/Black and he knows how rare it is. I didn't realize it was THAT rare though.

As noted here, the 8949 NSXs sold in the United States include 70 six-speed 3.2-liter coupes, including 51 Zanardi Edition NSXs sold for 1999, and another 19 non-Zanardis sold for 1997-2001.

In Europe those numbers seems to be inverted...there are a lot more Coupes than Targas...at least from what i see on the streets, on adds, on magazines, etc...

The previous and first owner of my car have a 2004 yellow coupe...beatifull....one day it will be mine....i hope :tongue:

In Europe those numbers seems to be inverted...there are a lot more Coupes than Targas...at least from what i see on the streets, on adds, on magazines, etc...

The previous and first owner of my car have a 2004 yellow coupe...beatifull....one day it will be mine....i hope :tongue:
There are a lot more coupes than NSX-T's in North America, too. However, the vast majority of the coupes here are from the '91-94 model years, before the NSX-T became available.

I know that the coupe was available in Europe when it was discontinued in North America. That being said, though, there's also a significant difference between cars sold in Europe and North America that can affect the distribution, and that's how the model year is determined. For cars built for sale in North America, the model year is determined when the car is manufactured, and is represented by the tenth character of the VIN (vehicle identification number). For cars built for sale in Europe, the model year is determined by when the car is first sold and titled. For example, an NSX can be built in 1992, and can sit in a showroom in Germany until 1999, when it is sold to its first owner; in such a case, that car is considered a 1999 model year car. At least, that's my understanding. And that could boost the number of coupes associated with later model years.

There are a lot more coupes than NSX-T's in North America, too. However, the vast majority of the coupes here are from the '91-94 model years, before the NSX-T became available.
yeah.. i sensed that...since it was released, Targa was more popular.

I know that the coupe was available in Europe when it was discontinued in North America. That being said, though, there's also a significant difference between cars sold in Europe and North America that can affect the distribution, and that's how the model year is determined. For cars built for sale in North America, the model year is determined when the car is manufactured, and is represented by the tenth character of the VIN (vehicle identification number). For cars built for sale in Europe, the model year is determined by when the car is first sold and titled. For example, an NSX can be built in 1992, and can sit in a showroom in Germany until 1999, when it is sold to its first owner; in such a case, that car is considered a 1999 model year car. At least, that's my understanding. And that could boost the number of coupes associated with later model years.
That is exactly true...i ahve a 97 NA1 NSX...yet my VIN is reported at Honda dealer as a 94 VIN... which is weird, because i have on my OEM Takata Belts a Quality Test date of 11/94...so i assumed the car was built after that and as it was only a month till the end of the year i assumed that it was built in 95...i could have assumed wrong...:tongue: :tongue:
So...even if the car is registered a long time after it was built...by the VIN, you know it's true year...take mine as example, built at the end of 94 and sold at 03/97 :wink:

but i still know a 2004 built a sold coupe and a 1998 built a sold coupe..they both bought new by my NSX previous and first owner :wink:

I know someone with a 2001 coupe Red/Black and he knows how rare it is. I didn't realize it was THAT rare though.

I think I know that car. It was originally sold from Hopkins Acura in Redwood City. I should've bought it -- at the time I was a little strapped for cash (hey, it was post-dotcom-crash and post-9/11, everyone was), but I could've swung it.

Back