Random thoughts after one month and 2200 miles...

I took delivery of my 1991 Black/Ivory manual NSX one month ago. I have put over 2200 miles on it in that time and I love it!

My car is relatively stock other than a Shine GT front lip, Taitec GTLW exhaust, 18/19 rims and D2 suspension (lowered pretty aggressively).

The ride is a little firm for my tastes with the 18/19 and lowered suspension, bumps on the highway are not too friendly and I have to pay close attention to where I drive to limit scraping the front lip. I put on the stock 15/16 with who know how old tires and drove a few miles around town to feel the difference. IMO the ride is much more enjoyable with the stock size rims/tires than with the big rims/tires; though I do really like the look of the 18/19 rims.

Other than the ride being a little firm, the car is quite enjoyable for my daily commute of about 100 miles. The ergonomics in this car are phenomenal, everything within an extension of your fingers.

I love the sounds of the Taitec exhaust and would eventually like to install aftermarket headers sometime down the road. Other than headers, I do not really have plans to mod the car further. But I am still quite green in my ownership of this car.

The handling of the car is obviously phenomenal, the car is quite responsive and really helps build confidence as I continue to learn the limits and push it a little further. The car has not (yet) really scare me, I am cautiously confident.

My normal DD is a 2007 Accord Sedan. The first time I got back into the Accord after driving the NSX for a week, it felt like a Cadillac. The ride is so much higher and the car almost feels to float down the highway, as the NSX just feels so planted to the road. I have even consistently gotten 25 MPG in the NSX!

The NSX is not without faults, mainly just the normal items; even after lubricating the antenna only fully retracts about 25% of the time. The aspirator fan is loud, CD changer does not work and CCU only works on high.

I am also amazed at the attention the car gets. Each time I stop at a gas station, I get at least one person ask about the car, and nobody knows what it is. I have gotten a "some new Mitsubishi" to a Ferrari. Dads have asked to take pictures of their son with the car. Teens drool over it and ask to drive it or try to get a street race going. Then I have co-workers think that I must have gotten a big bonus this year. The first thing I tell people is that the car was made in 1990, they cannot believe it.

I love this car and plan to keep it for some time! I will be sad to put it away for winter here sometime soon.

Lastly, here are a few pictures...

085.jpg

093.jpg

NSX005.jpg

Last edited:
welcome. It will really be up to you whether you decide to scale back the 18/19 to say a 17/18 setup which may offer a better compromise in driving feel and bling.There are plenty of threads about cleaning your own aspirator fan as it is annoying.BrianK also can do this for you.My dd is a landcruiser so the switch to the nsx is like driving a prototype racer:cool:

congrats on the purchase.

yeah I heard that anything bigger than 17/17 your gonna hate the feel of it.

after reading all about the rims and people's opinions I decided to go with the stock 16/17 from 2000 on my 1992
found them on craigslist for 1000 with brand new tires. cant beat that deal. that was years ago now your lucky to get 1 bent rims for that much LOL.

you shoudl really try and drive it with the 16/17 OEM rims its def better that the stock 15/16 and not that much stiffer than the 16/17

17/18
18/19
19/20
20/21

etc. make the NSX look like a Dune buggy and if you have your antenna up it looks like a remote control car. LOL

the issue of the better driveability of the OEM wheels than other big wheels is related to the different ET of the OEM and the after market wheels.
at the moment i have 15/16 wheels and I want swap to the 16/17 , but being obsessed to mantain the original ET i see very few options available in the market, if not going with the OEM 16/17.
i'm in love with Volk CE28N , but at the front they fit only with ET 43 instead of the original 55 (because the caliper limited clearance )
to test how the decreasing of ET affect the driveability , I have mounted a 20mm spacer on OEM 15 front wheels.
the look is better, but i feel less reactivity on the front end, as if to make the same corner you need turn more the steering wheel.
so i think is not a matter of the size of the rims rather than of ET of the Rims.
I'm looking for OEM 16/17 wheels, unfortunately in Europe the offer for NSX parts is poor , and most private sellers from US do not ship parts to Europe

Last edited:
Back