• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rainy Day Project: Helmet Wall Mounts

I'm sure you've all seen my garage build, and my new helmet I needed for NSXPO 2017, but now I have two helmets to store. Those things take up more cabinet space than you might think, and you also can't see them when they are packed away...so in comes a rainy Sunday to the rescue.

With 14'-4" wall height, I've got room to hang stuff so I put on my thinking cap and came up with a plan. I cut some cardboard and made a rough template for a wall mount I could make with just bends (no welding) and it turned out great! I wanted to be able to hang the helmets from any angle, and the way the inside foam fits the mount it allows just that, without the helmet touching bottom of the mount, the wall or very gently resting on it at some angles.

I grabbed some 1.5" x .125" x 24" aluminum stock off the shelf, marked the 5 bend locations with my trusty Sharpie, blue taped my vise so to not mar the aluminum and simply eye-balled the bends to fit. I drilled 2 x .25" holes on 2" centers for hanging, and used 75# rated screw-in sheet rock hangers. Here's how it looks!

IMG_5544.jpg

IMG_5545.jpg

IMG_5549.jpg

IMG_5546.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

Last edited:
Quick and cool project. If only I had some time to do a real garage build....

Back