Radio & Cassette Player do not work - Making static noise

I just purchased an NSX and the OEM radio + cassette player do not work. When I turn on the radio, it makes a static noise. I bought a cassette to aux out (to play music from my iPhone) and it too makes static noise. The antenna for the car does not go up (seems stuck). Could this be a bad head unit?

I just purchased an NSX and the OEM radio + cassette player do not work. When I turn on the radio, it makes a static noise. I bought a cassette to aux out (to play music from my iPhone) and it too makes static noise. The antenna for the car does not go up (seems stuck). Could this be a bad head unit?

It could be the headunit or a combination of a few things. I'd first get a working headunit in there to rule other things out. The antenna in the car doesn't seem like it would be an issue that would effect the no sound from the speakers. Especially if you hooked up the aux in and out. It could just be unplugged.

If you want to keep the oem look of the car and spend the least then there's a guy named BrianK that rebuilds oem speakers, and headunits and climate control units. I think he does headunits anyways but he's the guy I'd go to for rebuilding the oem devices. He rebuilt my CC unit along with hundreds of nsx owners.

If you want to go aftermarket route then there's many options and there are plenty of threads floating around with standard upgrades.

.. there's a guy named BrianK that rebuilds oem speakers
Actually .. not to be too anal about it .. but what Brian does is not rebuild 'speakers' but rather he rebuilds the BOSE amps that are housed in the speaker enclosures in each door. The speakers are almost never the problem .. it's almost always the amps but rarely it can also be the head unit. Sound systems issues are quite common and as suggested, BrianK has lots of experience at a reasonable rate. However, you will have to remove the amps in order to send them to him. Here is a link to a writeup on how to remove them. http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Bose_RR

You appear to be new to the site so you might also want to make yourself familiar with the NSX Wiki on the site. It can be accessed from the red action bar at the top of most pages and is a wealth of information about the car; troubleshooting; upgrading; etc.

Thank you! So I bought another headunit from an NSX with 33k miles ($400). I plugged it in and it powers up and all the controls do work but it's still making the same static noise. I'm guessing that should rule out the headunit being the issue and potentially the amps are bad?

Thank you! So I bought another headunit from an NSX with 33k miles ($400). I plugged it in and it powers up and all the controls do work but it's still making the same static noise. I'm guessing that should rule out the headunit being the issue and potentially the amps are bad?

It doesn't matter how many miles were on the car, how old is the "new" used head unit?

I went through the same problem chasing as you and now my head unit is at Willman's getting a modification to make it better than new. My suggestion is to send the speakers to BrianK and head unit to Willman's for either a repair or modification.

Back