• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Racing Suit Recommendation

Greetings,

I want to buy a racing suit. There are so many options:

1- What should I consider when selecting one?
2- Do you really get more for what you pay?
3- Any recommendation (brand/model)?

I plan to use it for track days for now and Spec Racer Ford racing in the near future.

Thanks

1- What should I consider when selecting one?
How many layers of fire protection materials you need/want. How light weight a suit you want/need.

2- Do you really get more for what you pay?
Yes

3- Any recommendation (brand/model)?
If price is not a consideration, my favorite I've tried on is the Sparco X-Light HC Racing Suit. Lightweight and 3 layers of Nomex. Priced accordingly as well.
http://www.subesports.com/products/cat/Racing+Suits/brand/Sparco/prodID/1762

All the major manufacturers make good suits though, Puma, OMP, Alpinestars, Momo, Stand 21.

Sparco is very good and always seems to have some models available at close out prices. Seems to be the most common around the paddock too.

You can arguably get by with nomex underwear and a single layer suit for track days, but you shouldn't compromise on protection when racing and that usually means nomex underwear with a name brand 3 layer suit.

I bought an $850 3 layer Sparco for $500 in hard to get color green for a close out price of $500 on-line. But it's hot and I use a cool vest when the air temp is above 85F. So, my next suit is gonna be more expensive because it's going to be lighter and cooler.

Shop around but remember that the SCCA GCR specs for driver protection are minimums; how many seconds can you be in a fire before you melt.

Here is a good guide:
http://www.sfifoundation.com/driversuit.html

For HPDE's or budget club racing... I've had good luck with G-Force's top of the line SFI-5 multi-layer coupled with nomex undies. It has a adequate TPP rating, is light, and in the $450 range. Not a mega name brand but it gets the job done. As soon as I catch on fire I'll post back how it worked out.

It all comes down to driver comfort versus protection- you need to find a medium that works for you. The single layers TPP times are too low IMHO for good protection, while the triple layers often feel like a fleece in hot weather. Some of the newer dual's have ratings that rival the heavier triple's. If money is no object the top of the line Sparco X Lite's are awesome. If you can find a close-out deal do, in this space you really do get what you pay for.

Many thanks for your comments.

I posted the same question on other forums and I got the same comments.

Usually, I go cheap. Sometime it works and other times I wish I spent the extra cash and got the right product from the begining. Not this time. I think I will go with the Sparco X-light. Many drivers recommend it.

As a rule of thumb, the last number doubled will indicate the length of time your suit will protect you. Example if the suit model number ends with /1 you get 2 seconds of protection. If the suit model ends with /5 you get 10 seconds of protection.
The seconds increase slightly if you also wear fire rated under garments.

I have a red sparco I used when I was racing shirter carts. It is sitting in my garage....will sell at a good price. What how big are you? What size shirt do you wear?

I have a red sparco I used when I was racing shirter carts. It is sitting in my garage....will sell at a good price.

Is your suit a Nomex suit or an Abrasion suit for Karting?

Usually, I go cheap. Sometime it works and other times I wish I spent the extra cash...

When I hear comments like this, I think of the advice I got when purchasing my first helmet: "How much is your head worth?" :wink:

I was amazed how much I ware my suit.
Don't get a cheep one as I did. Mine has a good raiting but is thick and hot.

I suggest being able to try it on when you buy it. Some didn't fit right.

Good luck.

G-Force 545.
2 layer, hot enough wearing it, will protect you enough, unless you plan on racing Formula 1 or plan on having a habit of catching on fire.
$450.00.
What are your needs and what class are you racing in ?

Last edited:
How about the one this guy is wearing?
TopGearStig.jpg

Re: Too tight, too white

How about the one this guy is wearing?
Not sure what you're asking, as it might be a decent midrange Sparco or equal, or it might be some cheap imitation; can't really tell. But it's too tight for maximum protection; it should be a little baggier for 1) more "fluff" in between layers and 2) some dead air between the suit and body. And unless he's a total poser and never touches the car between sessions (or has his wife do it), he'll inevitably get that nice white suit dirty in a hurry.

BTW, what car is he driving?

unless he's a total poser and never touches the car between sessions (or has his wife do it), he'll inevitably get that nice white suit dirty in a hurry.

I didn't the think "Stig" had a wife or ever got dirty.:biggrin:

Not sure what you're asking, as it might be a decent midrange Sparco or equal, or it might be some cheap imitation; can't really tell. But it's too tight for maximum protection; it should be a little baggier for 1) more "fluff" in between layers and 2) some dead air between the suit and body. And unless he's a total poser and never touches the car between sessions (or has his wife do it), he'll inevitably get that nice white suit dirty in a hurry.

BTW, what car is he driving?
The Stig usually wears Simpson/Impact helmet/suit/etc... It looks like he's wearing alpinestar gloves though, it always changes. He's not that good anyway.

The suit looks proper, you don't want it too tight, but you don't want a really loose baggy suit either. 1) "Fluff between layers" ? -no 2)"dead air between suit and body - no.

You do not need 'air' between the suits layers and the suit to body

You do not need 'air' between the suits layers and the suit to body
Did you ever see JV tuck hmself into an F1 car? His suit was baggy:wink:

Back