R8 V10 unveiled

Looks like Audi is still busy even with the slow economy:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-r8-v10.html

Audi officially unveiled its highest-performance halo car, the R8 V10, earlier today at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Powered by a Lamborghini-sourced V10, the latest R8 sends 525 horsepower to all four wheels thanks to a sophisticated quattro all-wheel-drive system.

Though sporting two more cylinders and a little more grunt mid-ship, V10-powered R8 doesn’t feature too many visual differences from its V8 little sister.

More air will be fed to the ten-cylinder through larger side scoops, which jut out sharply from the body-side, adding a more aggressive stance to go with its increased power. The lower side sill also get an extra flare which runs along the wheelbase, adding further visual cues that this is the true uber-Audi. The changes are subtle enough to be obvious only to those in-the-know, thus keeping the R8’s clean lines as uncluttered as possible.

However, some subtle changes from the standard R8 will include dual oval exhaust outlets, bigger side air intakes, a revised front and rear fascias and larger brakes. The V10-version will also be sporting unique LED headlights and a rear diffuser.

Rumors have been swirling that Audi would name the V10-powered R8 the R10 or RS8, but today’s press release proves the new model will be simply called the R8 V10.

That V10 is the same 5.2L FSI powerplant found in the new Lamorghini LP560-4, albeit detuned to 525 horsepower and 390 lb-ft or torque to keep the R8 out of the Gallardo’s territory. But despite being down a but on grunt, the R8 V10 can still rocket from 0-62 in 3.9 seconds, on its way to a top speed of 196 mph.

The Audi R8 V10 will first hit the market in Germany next spring with a price of about $180,000, with U.S. sales likely to start soon after.

"detuned gallardo" - eg more restricted intake and exhaust, all which can be swapped to free a bunch of hp.

Sounds like a nice practical AUDI with a lambo engine.

Cool, can't wait to see it, but the V10TDI sounds even coler.

I guess now I can officially lose all hope for the NSX successor, since no new threads in the "Second Generation NSX / HSC Discussion" thread are related to the new NSX, just their potential competitors. Since Honda announced this program is done, I vote we just lock away this portion of the forum....

Forget honda if performance is what you are seeking in the future. Performance and honda aren't even in the same realm any longer. But who cares when there are LOTS of great options out in the market. Not shedding any tears here.

$180k, no thanks. I'll buy a Gallardo.

I'd concur, if I could afford a used Gallardo and the typical expenses. It is essentially the same direction to upgrade from an NSX.
If this economy keep on like this, you can buy a brand new one at that price.

"$180k, no thanks. I'll buy a Gallardo"
Yes that is why I bought mine and are even a few new LP-560-4's demos around for that money..which is whole lot more car..

I just saw an R8 this morning. Man I love that car! With the V10 it would be incredible. Yes, you could get a used G for that money, but IMO the Audi is just as exotic and possibly better looking. I would rather have an R8 in warranty than a G without one.:wink:

I just saw an R8 this morning. Man I love that car! With the V10 it would be incredible. Yes, you could get a used G for that money, but IMO the Audi is just as exotic and possibly better looking. I would rather have an R8 in warranty than a G without one.:wink:

i definately think you have a strange sense of beauty

Here in the OC, there are 4:1 Gallardo's to R8's. You lose exclusivity, but the weekend car meets have more people.

I'll still take the Gallardo. It's has the name, more beautiful, most likely faster, and better chick factor:wink::biggrin:

Here in the OC, there are 4:1 Gallardo's to R8's. You lose exclusivity, but the weekend car meets have more people.

Yea, but you also gain massive obesity and with that complicates everything. Looks, acceleration, handling, everything performance and who drives Audis anyways, hahaha.

I would venture to say that there are more slim/fit hot girls in a club than fatter cute chicks in a popular club. The fat chicks are apparently more exclusive in rarity, but how many of yall would actually go for the fat chick? I'm sorry to be so crude, but it so true for the majority of guys and women. Don't take this the wrong way, there is no hate for the R8. I'd take one if I could but not over certains cars like the Gallardo. Just makin comparisons.

"$180k, no thanks. I'll buy a Gallardo"
Yes that is why I bought mine and are even a few new LP-560-4's demos around for that money..which is whole lot more car..

R8 includes maintenance and doesn't require costly rebuilds after 30,000 miles. The Gallardo is sexier, and Itallian, but I'd have to drive both to know for sure. Sight unseen, I'd take the V10 Deutche auto.

I still think the R8 V12 TDI looks better and more aggressive. Plus it has 738 ft-lbs of torque and 23+ mpg gas mileage. :biggrin:

phpThumb.php

phpThumb.php

I guess now I can officially lose all hope for the NSX successor, since no new threads in the "Second Generation NSX / HSC Discussion" thread are related to the new NSX, just their potential competitors. Since Honda announced this program is done, I vote we just lock away this portion of the forum....
Seconded.

At this moment for sale in Europe at the used market:

- 618 R8 2007 and up
- 407 LamboGado 2003 and up
- 26 NSX 91 and up

Source autoonline.nl

R8 includes maintenance and doesn't require costly rebuilds after 30,000 miles. The Gallardo is sexier, and Itallian, but I'd have to drive both to know for sure. Sight unseen, I'd take the V10 Deutche auto.

is this true?

I heard different from a few employees at Silicon Valley Auto group which say that the Audi-owned Lambo is must more reliable than previous times and evern more reliable than Ferrari.

i would think that Lambo and Audi are about the same....... which is far off from an Acura.

"R8 includes maintenance and doesn't require costly rebuilds after 30,000 miles' BS, show me the costly rebuilds on the gallardo after 30k, a new clutch perhaps...

"R8 includes maintenance and doesn't require costly rebuilds after 30,000 miles' BS, show me the costly rebuilds on the gallardo after 30k, a new clutch perhaps...

Since they have the same drivetrain basically, are you saying just because it's an Audi, therefore it is exempt from the rebuilt?

I don't think the new Lambo and Ferrs require rebuilt every 30k miles.

Back