Quote received for Timing Belt/Water Pump/etc

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this quote. Fair?

-timing belt/water pump (including hose replacement): $1,646.33
-transmission fluid: $96.02
-brake fluid: $162.36
-valve adjustment: $613.45
-spark plugs: $305.71
subtotal: $2,823.87
--------------------------
Discount applied: 10%
Total: $2,541.49

I know some of this I can do myself, but just wanted to get this all done @ the same time as well as an experienced NSX tech go over everything.

When you say "including hose replacement" do you mean ALL the coolant hoses?

Well I think thats a HELL of a deal then because replacing those hoses alone is probably $800. I think I paid like $600 at a dealer (incl parts) about 5 years ago.

BTW, what dealer is this at? My TB/WP will be done at Brookfield, about 400 miles from my house.

If that includes 22 hoses and not just some of them. The spark plugs you can do yourself. Easy job. NGK's or around $10 each so $60.00 and the rest is your money.

The TB/WP + coolant hoses (if its all of the hoses) is a steal. Most of the time all of the coolant hoses cost around $600-$800 to replace. The hoses themselves are somewhere in the $200 range. Given that, and their prices on other services, I highly doubt they are really talking about ALL of the hoses.

The price on the spark plugs is WAY high. Parts S/B about $40-$60 and labor s/b 1/2 hr to 1 hr max.

The price on the valve adjustment is way high. Even if this shop charges $90-100/hr, it doesn't take six hrs to do the valves. Factor in the cost of the valve cover gaskets and the labor they are charging and they are high on their valve adjustment estimate.

I'm not used to seeing things broken out that way.

Quotes for the timing belt and water pump replacement normally do not include the replacement of any hoses, and are typically $1500-1700. This quote is $1500 after discount including replacement of hoses (some? all?) and that's a great deal. Note, I think it's an excellent idea to also change the cooling system hoses at the same time; it's just that it's usually quoted separately as an add-on ($600-1200) on top of the TB/WP cost.

I'm also not used to seeing the other things broken out separately. The 60K service includes the fluids indicated, and the valve adjustment, and the plugs, but also filters (air filter, fuel filters, oil filter) and an oil change. All of that stuff together is typically $800-1300.

Adding these three numbers together, and you get a total of $2900-4200, although it includes the filters and oil change that weren't mentioned. I think $2500 for all of that, done by a top NSX tech, is a really good price. You can nickel and dime the individual numbers, but I wouldn't; as long as the total is good, it's a good deal.

Last edited:
seems pricey...

If I'm not mistaken, people have paid ~$2,000 for the combined 60k & 90k (105k in your case) services from an Acura dealership as of late.

Also, here's a general trend from the past...

Reference:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Maintenance/costs.htm

I can understand the dealer service-center giving a 10% discount on labor, but they should price-match the OEM parts they will be replacing; otherwise they price-gouge on the parts/fluids, and it is truly ridiculous. Being charged 4x the actual price of engine & transmission oils, coolant, brake/abs fluids, etc' is just plain pathetic on their part.

Get some OEM parts prices from:

- www.daliracing.com
- www.magauto.com
- www.oemacuraparts.com

Sadly, some people are A-o.k. w/ cutting a blank-check to an Acura dealership. Fortunately, I am no longer one of those individuals after I discovered their actual lame business practices.

If I'm not mistaken, people have paid ~$2,000 for the combined 60k & 90k (105k in your case) services from an Acura dealership as of late.
I think you're mistaken about that.

Also, here's a general trend from the past...
Those figures are somewhat obsolete, as they are mostly from 8-10 years ago. Add about 20 percent to them.

I can understand the dealer service-center giving a 10% discount on labor, but they should price-match the OEM parts they will be replacing; otherwise they price-gouge on the parts/fluids, and it is truly ridiculous. Being charged 4x the actual price of engine & transmission oils, coolant, brake/abs fluids, etc' is just plain pathetic on their part.
Getting 10 percent off is not a bad deal. Yes, some places offer higher discounts; 20 percent off is common, if you shop around. But many dealers won't install parts purchased elsewhere, or you may risk finger-pointing in the event that anything goes wrong. Also, comparing against one mail-order dealer who doesn't even sell Acura parts, or another which doesn't have a bricks-and-mortar operation and whose customers often complain that their merchandise was never delivered, may not be fair comparisons at all. And please don't throw around silly statements like "4x the actual price", which is totally out of context and inaccurate, and makes your arguments quite meaningless.

Sadly, some people are A-o.k. w/ cutting a blank-check to an Acura dealership. Fortunately, I am no longer one of those individuals after I discovered their actual lame business practices.
Perhaps the dealership in your area is guilty of "lame business practices". Some dealerships are. Many others are not. Some people live where there aren't a lot of choices - although there are also dealerships who are the only ones in their area, and still have excellent reputations for both quality and value. I can name many Acura dealerships that have great NSX experience and offer fair pricing and business practices. Still other areas, including New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, and Orlando, are served by independent mechanics with a lot of NSX experience. Obviously you are not happy with the dealer in your area; I suggest you take your business elsewhere, or do the work yourself if you are so inclined.

just make a TB WP service in dealer. ignore everything else.
a bad TB installation may blow your engine. so do it in dealer. everything else will not be hard for a good merchanic.

there are so many rip offs in stealership. just stay away from them unless u have something really important.

Last edited:
awareness...

nsxtasy said:
But many dealers won't install parts purchased elsewhere, or you may risk finger-pointing in the event that anything goes wrong...
I suggested that the original poster gets the Acura dealer service-center to price-match; if he brings the parts or orders them from elsewhere, even if they are OEM, there will not be a 12month/12k mile warranty on the work done (as-per Acura service protocol).

nsxtasy said:
Also, comparing against one mail-order dealer who doesn't even sell Acura parts, or another which doesn't have a bricks-and-mortar operation and whose customers often complain that their merchandise was never delivered, may not be fair comparisons at all....
I suggest that you visit again that "mail-order dealer" who you insist doesn't even sell Acura parts (ref: www.magauto.com). Select 'Honda' and then you will choose 'Acura' or 'Honda' under "Make:"... ;)

And in reference to "another" vendor on 'Prime (ie. www.daliracing.com), well this isn't the time nor place to accuse/instigate/judge; there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to such threads, if you are so inclined. In-fact, that under-handed jab was in quite poor taste and etiquette, IMHO.
And please don't throw around silly statements like "4x the actual price", which is totally out of context and inaccurate, and makes your arguments quite meaningless.
Meaningless is when you interject in matters you bear no relevance to. Shall I scan/email or photo-copy/mail you my invoices from Goodson Acura of Dallas or McDavid Acura of Austin to see what they charge(d) for fluids?
nsxtasy said:
Obviously you are not happy with the dealer in your area; I suggest you take your business elsewhere, or do the work yourself if you are so inclined.
I'll tell you what I'm not happy w/, it's getting gouged unknowingly by Acura dealer service-centers, period.

O.k. anywayz... original poster/Synth19:

- don't get your dealer to price-match the OEM parts they are going to use, pay up to 40% above list price just to be a nice guy.

- also, don't question the manner in which they are charging scheduled services ala'carte, I mean we don't want to upset them.

- feel much obliged to pay ~$2,600 (+sales-tax?) for the identical service(s) that I paid under $2,000 a few years ago (as in under 2 years) at an Acura dealership service center w/ a NSX master-tech' using their own OEM parts (and no, the labor-rate in this hamlet that I live in isn't what Uncle Jessie or Cooter charge; it's actually well above other major-metro' areas in the U.S.).

Afterall, that's what the resident 'Prime guru wants you to do. Make them happy. He will be happy. You will be happy. Riiight.

:)

Last edited:
I suggested that the original poster gets the Acura dealer service-center to price-match
Yes, it won't hurt to ask.

if he brings the parts or orders them from elsewhere, even if they are OEM, there will not be a 12month/12k mile warranty on the work done (as-per Acura service protocol).
That depends on the dealership; most will warranty the work. However, as I noted above, you can find yourself in a "finger pointing" situation where the servicer blames the parts, and the parts seller blames the servicer.

I suggest that you visit again that "mail-order dealer" who you insist doesn't even sell Acura parts (ref: www.magauto.com). Select 'Honda' and then you will choose 'Acura' or 'Honda' under "Make:"... ;)
I stand corrected. (And you are exactly correct; I only saw Honda and did not bother clicking on it.)

And in reference to "another" vendor on 'Prime (ie. www.daliracing.com), well this isn't the time nor place to accuse/instigate/judge; there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to such threads, if you are so inclined. In-fact, that under-handed jab was in quite poor taste and etiquette, IMHO.
IMHO, your sarcastic, insulting post slamming dealers and claiming that your bad experience applies to all dealers everywhere was in quite poor taste and etiquette.

- don't get your dealer to price-match the OEM parts they are going to use, pay up to 40% above list price just to be a nice guy.
This statement is yet another exaggeration (to the point of outright untruth), in quite poor taste and etiquette. The dealers I'm familiar with do not charge above list price.

- also, don't question the manner in which they are charging scheduled services ala'carte, I mean we don't want to upset them.
Why the sarcasm? Yet again, with statements like this, your post seems to be more directed towards expressing your hostility against your local dealer, than with providing helpful advice to the original poster.

Just to move past the sarcasm, and discuss the issue of how services are charged, most of the dealers I know price their services a la carte; IOW they charge for the individual parts items and the labor on each of the services. When providing estimates - for example, for a 60K service - they will tell you X dollars but if you're interested in a breakdown of where that number comes from, they're happy to provide that. At most dealerships, the breakdown also appears on the invoice when you get the actual work done. Do I know off the top of my head how much they charge for each spark plug? Heck no! (Not without checking my invoice, anyway.) Do I know off the top of my head what a fair price is for replacing the plugs along with all the filters and fluids and the valve adjustment, i.e. the 60K service? Heck yes!

- feel much obliged to pay ~$2,600 (+sales-tax?) for the identical service(s) that I paid under $2,000 a few years ago (as in under 2 years) at an Acura dealership service center w/ a NSX master-tech' using their own OEM parts (and no, the labor-rate in this hamlet that I live in isn't what Uncle Jessie or Cooter charge; it's actually well above other major-metro' areas in the U.S.).
I do not believe that there is an Acura dealership anywhere in the country that will do (or has done within the past two years) a replacement of the timing belt and water pump, and an entire 60K service, for under $2000. Sorry, that's so far off what they charge everywhere that I just don't believe it. Can you please provide the name of the dealership? I'll be happy to call them myself to get an estimate.

Afterall, that's what the resident 'Prime guru wants you to do. Make them happy. He will be happy. You will be happy. Riiight.
Again, why the personal insults and flames and sarcasm and outright lies? You decry "quite poor taste and etiquette" but your words are a perfect representation of exactly that.
icon13.gif

Disclaimer: I have no association, financial or otherwise, with any dealership or independent mechanic. I have helped countless NSXprime members get competent service and favorable pricing on service and parts on numerous occasions. :mad:

P.S. Here's a tip that hasn't been mentioned yet in this topic: If you use specialty fluids that the dealership doesn't normally stock, they are always happy if you bring them yourself, and you can often save money by doing so. In my case, for the NSX, this includes synthetic 10W30 motor oil and Motul RBF 600 brake fluid.

Last edited:
Hes the price breakdown I got from my local respected dealer today. Hard copy of it and not just a quote.

This is for my 94 NSX with 60k miles....

Water pump
Timing belt
Alternator Belt
Compressor Belt
Grommet
Adjuster (not sure what that is but the part is $131
Coolant
Upper AND lower radiator hoses

Parts = $1012
Labor = $1027

$2147 with tax.
Total job with free loaner :tongue:

Price does not include the 10% off for club members.

Last edited:
Your hose replacement is missing more than a dozen hoses...

as for the Timing belt replacement you are also missing the cam and crank seals...are they going to last another 7 years/60-90k miles?

I wont kid you, I work on these cars for a living and I charge $1525.00 for

Timing belt
Water pump
updated timing cover
Tensioner bearing
Cam seals
Crank seal
Drive belts

Your quote is very typical for a dealer..but keep in mind...Many dealers have not sent techs to torrance for NSX training in years..and some dont have even one tech that has ever even touched an NSX...dont think that just because the sign says ACURA that they know about your car.

BTW I worked for an Acura dealer for 6 years and there were only two NSX certified techs at that dealer. I have been gone for 10 years now and they have had only one since I left, he is likely retiring soon...so you can do the math at how many will be left.

Do some homework first.

Happy motoring :)

Last edited:
I completely trust what John Z. Is saying. I got bit by substandard dealer maintenance on my car. John is fixing that for me as I write this. I am grateful for his keen observations. Experience tops fancy tool box and pressed shirt every time.

Dave

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this quote. Fair?

-timing belt/water pump (including hose replacement): $1,646.33
-transmission fluid: $96.02
-brake fluid: $162.36
-valve adjustment: $613.45
-spark plugs: $305.71
subtotal: $2,823.87
--------------------------
Discount applied: 10%
Total: $2,541.49

This looks like a very reasonable quote to me, lower than average pricewise, even with only a couple of hoses being replaced. Doing all the hoses is a big job.

...as long as the total is good, it's a good deal.

I agree.

Last edited:
Your quote is very typical for a dealer..but keep in mind...Many dealers have not sent techs to torrance for NSX training in years..and some dont have even one tech that has ever even touched an NSX...dont think that just because the sign says ACURA that they know about your car.

BTW I worked for an Acura dealer for 6 years and there were only two NSX certified techs at that dealer. I have been gone for 10 years now and they have had only one since I left, he is likely retiring soon...so you can do the math at how many will be left.

Do some homework first.

Happy motoring :)

My quote and Synth19's quote are from the same dealer. We were referred there by nsxtasy since he has been going to their NSX tech there for many years. So its a trustworthy tech from what i hear.

So that part is covered. Guess we need to do more research on getting the other stuff you mentioned done.

You could look at it this way. They are undercharging you on the TB/WP and hoses and overcharging you on spark plugs and valves. If you are happy w/ the total then might as well get it done.

My quote and Synth19's quote are from the same dealer. We were referred there by nsxtasy since he has been going to their NSX tech there for many years. So its a trustworthy tech from what i hear.
zahntech's advice, to have the more complicated services done by someone with a lot of recent NSX service experience, is good advice indeed. Here in the Chicago area, there are nine Acura dealers. The one I use for service, Woodfield Acura in Hoffman Estates, does far more NSX service work than the other eight dealers. Ted, their lead NSX tech, has a tremendous amount of NSX experience, and yes, he's been working on my car since it was new. He has rebuilt NSX engines and transmissions, installed Bilsteins and fix-it thingies, etc. I brought my car there when the engine jumped the timing, and he did the engine replacement. He is also amazing when it comes to suspension work; on several occasions now, he has successfully diagnosed suspension problems that other mechanics could not figure out.

The dealership in Milwaukee, Acura of Brookfield, also does a lot of NSX service work, and I occasionally take my car there, too, particularly for their track prep expertise. That particular dealership has a lot of experience with aftermarket mods, including superchargers.

Back