Quick Poll :)

This was inspired by a thread I read from last night.....

The CRX was a great honda that IMO should have never been discontinued (or replaced by the Del Sol).

Who on this forum has both great cars, the CRX and the NSX (no Del Sols please) Lets get some pictures!!

fbaf9c7a.jpg

Regards,

John

I had a CRX as my daily driver at the time I bought my NSX.

The dealership thought it was funny that I had a car that cost $6K new and a car that cost $60K new.

I had a black '88 (or there about) Si in college, it was a great car. I would have bought another if they headn't kill it. Same with a ~'90 Mecury Capri XR2 that was a blast, but discontinued. And I have to think the NSX's days are numbered...

- Todd

92NSX - Unfortunately the CRX's nose is taken apart (notice only a rear end photo). I was in the middle of modifing her when I bought the NSX. So she (Rio) just sits in the garage now :( The Porsche at the time of the Avatar photo was actually registered and on the road.

Todd - If Honda discontinues another one of my favorite cars I think I will go postal

I have a green/tan 94 NSX and a silver 89 crx si with a vtec motor from a civic ex in it. My CRX is a 70,000 mile car. I bought it last year from the original owner (he had passed it on to his son who swapped the motor, and did the rest of the fun stuff). The crx has a tanabi racing exhaust, aem camgear, jackson header, apex-i vtec controller, coil overs, performance friction clutch and too many other fun things. I use it as my winter/track/grocery store car. I keep saying I am going to sell it and get a pilot or mdx but I haven't been able to part with it. :p CRX's are great!
Aaron

Ps-disregard the wheels on the car in the pick---yuck! And the bubble in the garage is where the NSX sleeps all winter.

Attachments

• konig2 001-nsx.jpg
    konig2 001-nsx.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 208
That's an NSX in there!!.....I thought it was Michael Jackson :)

Don't sell the CRX.....It's like the one of the "Last of the Mohicans"

Regards,

John

I owned the 1st gen CRX Si and the last year DelSol. I really liked both cars very much.

If Honda had anything similar to them I would have probably bought one instead of my MCS. I like the MCS too. Very similar in spirit to the CRX Si.

-Jim

AaronR said:
Ps-disregard the wheels on the car in the pick---yuck!

I know a place where you can find a huge assortment of wheels at nice prices. ;)

Originally posted by Jimbo
I like the MCS too. Very similar in spirit to the CRX Si.

I'm not so sure. The original CRX was known for its light weight; my '84 weighed 1600 pounds. Despite its similar length, the Mini Cooper S weighs almost 2700 pounds, doesn't it?

what's your beef with the del sol?
i owned a crx for 8 months...
owned a del sol for 8 years.
unfortunately i don't have a pic of either with the nsx.

Not really any beef with it. It's just that the CRX when it was introduced was known as a "2 seater hatchback" with lots of cargo space and light weight. The car built a almost cult following. The Del Sol was definitely not the same thing. If Honda wanted to introduce a small targa model I think they should have kept the CRX alive an added the Del Sol (although probably not economical). I don't think the Del Sol should qualify as a direct evolution of the CRX. Heck, in other countries they even called the Del Sol a CRX, which it is definitely not!! Plus when the Del Sol made it's debut in the early 90s I was a parts guy with a Honda dealership, and all I remember is all the bulletins Honda had for the targa top. That thing would not stop squeaking and leaking (the early ones). Then they had a problem with the back window blowing out when you turned the defogger on. They actually had a countless number of problems with that car. The only thing I can recall that gave the CRX any problems were the igniters, but that hindered a whole range of Hondas during 88-91. Anyway just my opinion.

Regards,

John

Is there an FAQ for the CRX similar to the one that we have here on the nsxprime? I am just curious to know what the changes were in each year, and how much I need to expect for the used one depending on the year.

Thank you!

I also used to have a CRX.
Overhere we had the 1.6i-16V (new model) from 1988 to 1992, and the vtec CRX until the Del Sol (know here indeed as CRX) came out. Before 1988 we had the 'old' model.
I owned a 'new model' 1988, offcourse black. These where in 1988 about $20,000 new.............. :eek:

I enjoyed that car so much. I drove approx 200k km in it, spun the bearings once, blown a few clutches and damaged the bearings in the gearbox numerous times.

Even after the 'big' repair (bearings spun), the car never let me down. The guy who did that repair did a really good job, my topspeed went up with about 15km/hour after the repair.

The Del Sol is indeed not a real CRX, to bad they stopped the real-CRX model.

Mich

jadkar said:
That's an NSX in there!!.....I thought it was Michael Jackson :)

Don't sell the CRX.....It's like the one of the "Last of the Mohicans"

Regards,

John

I guess that makes me a "cleanFREAK" about the NSX :D

Tiger740

If I can't find you one...I'll write out all the changes, I know them all by heart (US models). Give me a few hours.

John

Here are the major differences (I'm assuming we are talking about an SI):

1984 - CRX was introduced, I don't know much about this year (mainly because there was no SI) I know it had a 1.5

1985 - CRX Si introduced, If I am not mistaken it was the first fuel injected car Honda offered here (Prelude was 1986) This CRX Si still retained the in-set headlights and 2 tone paint. It was the start of the CRX Si's trade mark up-and-out sunroof. It had wheels that were unique only to 1985 CRXsi. This year Si was said to be the quickest because of it's lightweight (no ground effects) I raced one with my stock 1990 Si and did get very slightly out run.

1986 - Si got cool ground effects that were body colored, as well as flush mounted headlights (all CRXs) a cool foam spoiler, and new wheels.

1987 - I believe was unchanged

1988 - CRX redesign, Si got new 1.6 16valve SOHC 105HP engine base engine was the engine from the previous years Si. Entire car was new. Amongst other things, now the car had 4 wheel independent suspension.

1989 - Si got a tiny bit heavier due to the stronger doors which had to incorporate the new passive seat belts. The engine was slightly bumped to 108HP

1990 - Si received 4 wheel disc brakes, new rounded instrument cluster, revised front and rear lights, revised front and rear bumpers. The seats were the same style, but had red stripes instead of grey. And the wheels were a new turbine style (same size).

1991 - Last year :( I'm pretty sure was the same except for the bluish-green color was added to the Si lineup.

I'm sure I missed a few minor things and someone will chime in, but I think this is pretty complete. Now the overseas markets, forget it!! They got all the cool stuff. A matter of fact our 1.8 top-of-the-line SI engine was there base engine!! If I remember correct in Japan the base had 1.6 108HP engine, the SI had the 1.8 integra type engine with 135HP and the SI-R had the 160HP 1.6 VTEC. That VTEC engine came out in 1988 in Japan (CRX had VTEC even before NSX) and was the same as the Del-Sol 1.6 VTEC that came out here in 1994 (i think it was 94) That engine was already roughly 6 years old by the time us poor Americans got it!! As for the rest of the car!!! I was pissed off, we got roll-up windows and no back seat (bad for insurance) in Japan!! they got a back seat, power windows and locks, power steering, leather seats, cruise control nicer wheels and a cool spoiler (and I'm sure some more goodies) There was even a glass roof model, kinda like the newer Porsche 993 and 996 targa (but not retractable).

Anyway enough about CRXs....I'm only 29 and I have own 30 cars in my life but none have compared to the fun I have had in my 4 CRXs......except the NSX.

Regards,

John

Oh, wow..

Thanks a lot for your help, John!! I truly appreciate your help and time!!