Questions from prospective owner

Hello.
I live in Washington DC and am close to purchasing a nice black on black 91 NSX. It has fairly low milage and is not in the snap ring range. The window regulators have already been reloaced and there is no problem with the AC. The only real problems are that it has condensation in the tail lights and some moisture in the trunk.

I searched the forums and got info on the tail lights, but could not really find anything with the trunk. The car has not been in an accident. Can anyone provide any info on the possible cause and a fix for the trunk problem?

Thanks,

Nathan

A couple of winters ago, I had covered my car in the rain and stored a wet car cover in the trunk. This caused an exorbitant amount of moisture to be absorbed by the furnishings in the trunk.

There are holes in the trunk that lead to the lenses for aeration (sp?) purposes.

Once I discontinued the practice and let the trunk dry out completely, it has never happened again. This issue shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Just went through this with my 95. All three lens had water in them (not just moisture). After much research, I had my mechanic double up on the taillight gaskets, remove the lights, and drill 1/8" holes in the bottom of the lights (you cannot see this part when installed). The cost was $256. The car was only a couple of weeks old (to me) and I was willing to pay a dealer to do it. Done over, I'd do it myself.

After a couple of days, problem was solved. I would always be careful when washing the arse end of any NSX as to avoid getting too much water around the trunk lid/taillight area.

BTW, the condensation under the trunk lid WILL go away once your taillight problem is solved. That moisture is trapped and it rises with heat. This is also why the last place on the taillights for moisture to evaporate it at the top. Unfortunately that's the part you look down at when standing by the car.

Let us know how you make out.

I agree with the above. As long as you checked out the trunk and rear and at can't find any accident signs, it should be okay. When I was looking at a few NSXs to buy, all had some degree of condensation in either of the 3 tail lens. Even the one I ended up with had some. After I personally opened my center lnes up to remove the ACURA and put in an H emblem, I resealed it with weather strip seal and it has never had a problem again. I sure not all NSXs have this problem, but it does seem like many do. Since I resealed mine there as been no problem. I wouldn't call this problem a deal breaker.

Thanks for the info!
I am very excited about the purchase of the car.
The current owner has taken excellent care of the car and it shows in the cars looks.
It is completely stock and I will probaly be looking to change the wheels and tires after I get it.

Thanks again to all for your help.

Nate in DC

Back