Questions for experienced NSX owners.

I just bought a 94 NSX with 50k miles and absolutely love it! The seller was a real gentleman and made the transcation flawless!

Anyways, I have a bunch of questions I was wondering if some of you experienced guys could help with???

1. The water pump, belt and tensioner were replaced at 42k miles. Did the Coolant have to be replaced at that time also? I just want to be sure the coolant is fresh!

2. I once saw a NSX whose third brake light on the wing flashed three times then remained on when he hit the brakes. Anyone know where to get one of these and how to install it?

3. I don't want to get into a oil preference battle as I see thre are many opinions when I did a search. Basic question only....should I use synthetic or the oil outlined in the owner's manual?

4. Has anyone seen these Brembo brake caliper covers? Experiences?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

5. The car is 1994 and has 50k miles. Is it time to replace the coolant hoses and fan belt? The Acura dealer told me it costs $1,000.00 to replace all the coolant hoses. I almost fainted!

Thanks everyone! I am sure I will have more questions to follow!

Rob

Last edited:
You mention miles, but how many years ago was the TB/WP done?

1. The coolant should have been replaced when the WP was done. Even if the mechanic didn't follow the manual and drain the system, a significant amount would have poured out when the old WP was removed. Follow the Honda recommended frequency of coolant changes. That's important with aluminum.

2. Don't know about the custom brake light bulb.

3. Oil is a religion-like issue. IHMO: Use oil that meets Honda's spec. There are tons of opinions on Prime & elsewhere based on sample size = 1, so be cautious. Honda's oil spec is based on extensive scientific testing so they can stand behind their warranty. So, unless you are going to track the car or do mods affecting bearing clearances, stick with something that meets Honda's spec. Note that as of last year, Mobil 1 was the only synthetic to get Honda certification.

4. No experience with that.

5. I changed the belts on my '96 when I did the TB. They still looked like new and were the 11 year old factory originals. I keep them around in case of an emergency.
Hoses & labor are expensive - I forgot the count, but there are many, many coolant hoses on the NSX and some are in locations that require the most unnatural bending of arms and fingers. I haven't changed any hoses on my '96 (55 k mi), and they all feel good yet. Some on Prime will indicate they have contrary experience. Big factors are storage conditions, how much the car was used in very hot weather, amount of stop and go driving, exposure to pollutants (including ozone), etc. Was your car from the Phoenix area? Was it driven on the typical balmy summer day of 115F? I have a lift and closely examine things on my car on a regular basis. Unless you do similar diligence or if its a Phoenix car, I think its time to do your hoses.

Last edited:
In Phoenix is IMO one of the best and most knowledgeable NSX mechanics that exists, Mark Basch. He owns Basch Acura Service. IMO if you want good, honest advice on maintenance ask him.<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><!--msnavigation--><TD vAlign=top><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]
000721-base.jpg
Basch Acura Service
4202 E. McDowell Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85008<!--mstheme-->

<!--mstheme-->[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]602-244-8010[/FONT]

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1. answered

2. probably pretty easy... I suspect it's some type of circuit that you wire between your spoiler and the signal.. I suspect you probably can find that circuit in a motorcycle store.

3. I use synthetic (M1) but as long as you change oil regularly it does not really matter.

4. don't. save up and get the real deal. That's no better than getting spinner hubcaps.

5. Guess you have not checked the cost of TB/WP and even worse, clutch? Maintenance on the NSX is not cheap by any standard. Good thing is that at least it's reliable.

4. Has anyone seen these Brembo brake caliper covers? Experiences?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

4. don't. save up and get the real deal. That's no better than getting spinner hubcaps.

Exactly as kennyc put it. I doubt any "experienced" NSX owners are using caliper covers. If anyone is using covers, they probably wont admit it. Most experienced owners would upgrade the brakes, leave it stock or just paint the stock calipers.

5. Just keep a new set of coolant hoses incase the old one burst. I am having Samco coolant hoses specific for the NSX.

Yes, the coolant was replaced when the water pump was changed.

Flashing third brake light? The one you saw was probably just janky.

Yes, use the oil recommended in the manual: 10/30. Synthetic is fine.

Unless you are 19 years old and still in high school, please don't use the caliper covers.

Yes! Replace the coolant hoses.
Having a spare set around in case one bursts is like keeping a condom nearby in case your girlfriend gets pregnant. :wink:

#2 I didthe same thing with my center lens. I used a product called "hyper light" for motorcycles. Flashing LED light.. works great! easy to install.

Let me know if you need their link

I'm curious about the "Hyper light " link. On the site above said (unless I misread) said that it didn't work with LEDs. What's up?
Thanks
-Robert

I found the website but couldn't locate a brake or motorcycle light.

Can you please give me some tips on the install including where the wires are located, which color wires to use, etc.?

Thanks!

#2 I didthe same thing with my center lens. I used a product called "hyper light" for motorcycles. Flashing LED light.. works great! easy to install.

Let me know if you need their link

IF.. you have an LED system,, ie all the lights are already wired for LED, then you may not have the correct voltage. These lights are set up for standard 12 volt. You have the option of flashing for a few seconds then turning solid red, or continually flashing. Cheap, easy and effective fix. If you ride a motorcycle, you really appreciate having them

My Hyper lights came as two small plastic LED strips/blocks. I believe 6 or 8 red LEDs in each block. I pulled my center lens out, which had no light, and just "stuck" the two blocks inside the housing, put the lens back, wired it in to my brake lights in the trunk and presto. Worked great. It's a tight, tight fit, so you may have to trim the back of the block down a bit.

I replaced my center lens, the old one was scratched, so I moved the LED blocks to the license plate area, (didn't want to crack open a new lens) they now sit just above my rear plate. Still very effective.

Going to try and wire one into red warning light that's on the inside driver side door lock, for the alarm. This way I would have an external flashing LED that tells me my door is locked and alarm is on. Hope this helps. Let me know if you want me to send you a picture...

http://www.hyperlites.com/

here's the link

hyperlites-lg.gif
Wiring is very easy.. just one option for the flashing part... ground one side, tap into your hot side of the brake light, twist the third wires together, for flashing option.. that's it...

s16web.jpg

Last edited:
Back