Questions about police in San Francisco

Hello I have a few questions for my fellow NSX Drivers in California, and especially San Francisco. I live in the Tampa Bay Area of Florida and have had no run-ins with the law. I was just curious about the police in San Francisco how strict are they on

1. Exhaust Noise

2. Window Tint

3. Smog control (i.e. missing catalytic converter)

Also are there any restrictions about Radar detectors, laser hammers, in dash TV's, Talking on cell phone while driving.

That is all the things I can think of that could be potential issues for out of state drivers bringing their cars to California. If there is anything I am missing or if any one has additional input/advice regarding laws & driving in CA. lets post it here.

it depends on what car :)
Rice car get checked pretty often when they have all of the above. I saw lots of integra, supra & civic pulled over for that.

I grew up in SF and I have driven in SF for the last 8 years. I went from a Turbo Integra to two different 300ZX Twin Turbos, to a BMW 540 and my latest collection is a 91 NSX. All of my cars are supped up, some more than others, and the mods are quite visible although I don't have anything like CRAZY SUPER SPOILERS or exhaust tips in excess of 4.5" inches.

I've NEVER had any problem with the SFPD regarding driving a "fixed up" vehicle in SF. From my experience the SFPD does not enforce "vehicle codes" and I think their primary concerns are at another area. In fact, I was once pulled over by the SFPD for speeding and he saw that I had a modified exhaust violation on my driver's license but all he know was that there was a prior violation, and there was a code. he said it himself and say "i have no idea what the violation is."

On the other hand, the California Highway patrol is notorious for pulling over fixed up vehicles. They will get you on anything including missing front plates, white rear turn signals to exhaust and to the tint. I commute 50 miles each day on the highway and everytime I see a CHP I try to mvoe away as far as I can away from them so they dont notice anything on my "fixed up" cars.

Hope this helps.

SFPD does not enforce "vehicle codes" posted by Jerry Ho.
Where in the world did you get that impression from? It's not true. How would I know? I work for the SFPD. Be safe.

Kevin

I guess this is a stupid question but if car has out of state plates does that mean it does not have to comply with the state laws for vehicle code violations? In other words I do not have front plates because they are not required in Florida and my tint may be darker than what is legal in CA but still within the legal requriements of Florida. So if an out of state car gets pulled over in CA does the officer not bother with code violations or does he check what is illegal in the stae where the car came from

I guess this is a stupid question but if car has out of state plates does that mean it does not have to comply with the state laws for vehicle code violations? In other words I do not have front plates because they are not required in Florida and my tint may be darker than what is legal in CA but still within the legal requriements of Florida. So if an out of state car gets pulled over in CA does the officer not bother with code violations or does he check what is illegal in the stae where the car came from

Driving in CA with one license plate

California Vehicle Code section 5200 requires that when two plates are issued by the department (DMV) one must be on front, one on rear. However, if only one is issued it must be on the rear.

Therefore, technically, if your state only issues one plate you shouldn't have any problem.

However, having just the one plate would provide law enforcement with the option of stopping you to verify that you were only issued one plate.

As always, respect and courtesy in dealing with law enforcement will go a long way towards avoiding problems.

In my experience, there are so many cars on the road with so many minor violations (one plate, illegal tint, etc.) that you have to really make a nuisance of yourself to draw the attention of law enforcement (at least that has been my experience prior to driving a red NSX, so far, no problems).

Wrong again, since you are in CA, you are required to abide by the laws of this state. I can understand if you are only visiting in CA. But, if you're here to stay, you are required to notify DMV and obtain CA license plates. All other vehicle violations, including but not limited to tinting front windows, modified exhaust, clear lights, loud music, etc..... are enforced on a discretionary basis. It's up to the officer whether or not to cite.

Out of State Visitors

NsXTaCY168 said:
Wrong again, since you are in CA, you are required to abide by the laws of this state. I can understand if you are only visiting in CA. But, if you're here to stay, you are required to notify DMV and obtain CA license plates. All other vehicle violations, including but not limited to tinting front windows, modified exhaust, clear lights, loud music, etc..... are enforced on a discretionary basis. It's up to the officer whether or not to cite.

I think the subject of the post is what should those who are visiting California--for instance to attend NSXPO--should expect from SF law enforcement. In which case they will not need to notify DMV or comply will CA plate requirements.

Back