Questions about funky mirror and exhaust!

I just purchased my second NSX yesterday...2000 Targa, 6 spd, 14k miles.

I have two questions I was hoping some of you more knowledgable folks migt be able to answer.

1) I noticed kind of a "fogging" on my 1994 NSX's rearview mirror. It looks almost like paint overspray. It is especially noticeable at night. Well, when I drove my 2000 home last night, I noticed the exact same "fogging" or appearance of an uneven coat of "overspray." Is this normal? What the heck is this?

2) I have an aftermarket exhaust on my 1994 NSX and would love to put it on my 2000 NSX. Will it fit?

Thanks everyone!!!!

1) This is common. Just buy a new one. Its really the only option

2) Depends. Maybe with an adapter. Which exhaust is it?

What happens to the mirrors? Can the shadowing be removed w/ steel wool?

I will check on the brand of exhaust.

1) This is common. Just buy a new one. Its really the only option

2) Depends. Maybe with an adapter. Which exhaust is it?

1) Likely overspray or sandblasting. Try glass polishers first. If its superficial it should buff out.

2) 1997+ cars have different exhaust designs. You will need adaptors to run your 1994 exhaust. Contact Chris at SOS. :)

Congrats Rob!
I was just answering your other post recommending you for the auto gear! Had a long description why but when I sould send it I was logged out and everything disappeared ;( Never mind, you have decided and I hope you will be satisfied!

1) Likely overspray or sandblasting. Try glass polishers first. If its superficial it should buff out.

OP is talking about the rearview mirror. This would not apply.

This is a common problem with NSX mirrors. If you want to save a few bucks, a 91-95 Acura Legend Mirror (pretty easy to find a nice one used) is a direct bolt-in replacement, at least for the earlier cars. I don't think the later years are any different, but doublecheck before you go this route.

What is the fogging from???

This is a common problem with NSX mirrors. If you want to save a few bucks, a 91-95 Acura Legend Mirror (pretty easy to find a nice one used) is a direct bolt-in replacement, at least for the earlier cars. I don't think the later years are any different, but doublecheck before you go this route.

I think the fogging is actually deterioration of the silver layer on the back of the glass, although I don't know why it deteriorates (sunlight/UV deterioration?). This layer of silver reflects the image, and converts a piece of glass to a mirror. It is possible to get a mirror resilvered, but that is a process which is more suitable for valuable antique furnishings, as the resilvering process is relatively expensive.

It is much easier and less expensive to find a nice used 91-95 Legend mirror. The Legend mirror is slightly larger than the stock NSX mirror, but not excessively large, and the finish blends perfectly with the stock NSX interior. I have a Legend mirror in my own car. I "discovered" that the Legend mirror was a direct bolt-in replacement by looking at hundreds of pictures of rearview mirrors on eBay until I identified one with the same shaft and bolt as the NSX. The 91-95 Acura Legend mirror is the one.

Jett...great info!!!!!!!!!!

Two questions:

1) How do you get the damn thing off? I couldn't get my mirror off nor could my mechanic.

2) Where can I get a 91-95 Legend mirror?

Thanks Jett!

I think the fogging is actually deterioration of the silver layer on the back of the glass, although I don't know why it deteriorates (sunlight/UV deterioration?). This layer of silver reflects the image, and converts a piece of glass to a mirror. It is possible to get a mirror resilvered, but that is a process which is more suitable for valuable antique furnishings, as the resilvering process is relatively expensive.

It is much easier and less expensive to find a nice used 91-95 Legend mirror. The Legend mirror is slightly larger than the stock NSX mirror, but not excessively large, and the finish blends perfectly with the stock NSX interior. I have a Legend mirror in my own car. I "discovered" that the Legend mirror was a direct bolt-in replacement by looking at hundreds of pictures of rearview mirrors on eBay until I identified one with the same shaft and bolt as the NSX. The 91-95 Acura Legend mirror is the one.

It has been awhile for me, so I am going to try this from memory...

There is a black plastic cover that slides over the mount...slide this up (or down, I forget) to access a single phillips screw. Using a phillips screwdriver of the approximate correct size (small, medium, large) unscrew it. I can't remember off the top of my head whether it unscrews counterclickwise (normal) or clockwise (reverse thread). Try counterclockwise first, then clockwise. Once you get the screw out, slide the mirror mount up to detach it from the mounting point on the windshield. Be careful not to try and force it and break the mounting point loose from the windshield, or worse, break the windshield itself. Ya gotta finesse it!

The excellent condition used Legend mirror that you buy off Ebay should simply reattach exactly like the original mirror. Slide it on the bracket, one screw holds it down, a black plastic cover over that for cosmetics.

Again, this is taken completely from memory. I hope I have described the process correctly.

Thanks Jett!~

I tried unscrewing the screw...both ways...and couldn't get it to budge!

It has been awhile for me, so I am going to try this from memory...

There is a black plastic cover that slides over the mount...slide this up (or down, I forget) to access a single phillips screw. Using a phillips screwdriver of the approximate correct size (small, medium, large) unscrew it. I can't remember off the top of my head whether it unscrews counterclickwise (normal) or clockwise (reverse thread). Try counterclockwise first, then clockwise. Once you get the screw out, slide the mirror mount up to detach it from the mounting point on the windshield. Be careful not to try and force it and break the mounting point loose from the windshield, or worse, break the windshield itself. Ya gotta finesse it!

The excellent condition used Legend mirror that you buy off Ebay should simply reattach exactly like the original mirror. Slide it on the bracket, one screw holds it down, a black plastic cover over that for cosmetics.

Again, this is taken completely from memory. I hope I have described the process correctly.

Back