Question on upcoming maintenance- 2002 NSX

Hi, I'm looking at a 2002 NSX, a few details. It has close to 60k miles, owner says maintenance is up to date, including timing belt (but not sure at what miles the belt was replaced). However, per the maintenance FAQ here, looks like I will have to replace the water pump after purchase as well as other maintenance items. The owner also mentioned that a check engine light came on and when brought to a dealership, the 02 sensor was bad, and was consequently replaced (CEL issue resolved). Is the 02 sensor replacment something that is common? I couldnt seem to find many threads regarding this. He does have all documentation so I will be able to verify his claims. Thoughts? thanks,

Does the car has a clean title?

That is a lot of work done on a car that doesn't really need all that stuff. I believe the T-Belt replacement is not even necessary until 105k miles.

Either the owner is good to his car, or he is spending too much on the car after the warrantee expired and want to get rid of it.

We need more information.

The water pump is not listed on the maintenance schedule but it is normally replaced when the timing belt is done just because everything is apart. Doing the water pump on its own is the the same amount of labor as doing the timing belt.

O2 sensors fail on occasion but on a 2002 it would be covered under the emission warranty which I believe is 8 years or 105,000 miles.

Some Acura dealers publish different figures for maintenance intervals than Honda puts in their publications. I have a dealer-produced maintenance schedule for my Legend that says the timing belt and water pump need to be done at 60k, but Honda recommends 90k. I was surprised to see it, figuring Honda would take issue with that.

Point is, perhaps the owner was duped into thinking he HAD to do more than necessary.

Great point, not sure why the water pump was not replaced when the timing belt was.... I assume it was inspected, deemed operational and left alone? Again, owner says all records are available.
That is really unusual especially if it was dealer serviced. Usually dealers will encourage replacing everything for their own greedy benifit.:rolleyes: Even Civic TB service calls for WP replacement. Nontheless the waterpump should be just fine even at 60k. If nothing else flush the cooling system and go with the type II coolant. BTW are you in houston area? Come have breakfast with us this sunday as many can offer great advice. Congrats on the find.http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105112

Based on what I have read here, timing belt should be replaced @ 6 years or around 90k... some ppl here saying around 50k?
You can look up the recommended replacement interval in your owner's manual.

It's 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first, on the '91-96 NSX. It's 105K miles or 7 years on the '97-05 NSX. The '02 car you are looking at is not yet due for a timing belt and water pump replacement.

Back