question on registration

Ok, does anyone know how it works when you buy a car out of state. I have never bought out of state, but If lets say I buy a car in Ny, how does that work as far as registration and the fees that go alone with it. As it is, i called to see how much to register a car bought in CA and it's $3400!!! They said cause I have to pay for a used car sales tax. If i buy out of state, do I still pay that or when I get the car just pay the 400 ish to have the plates changed to Ca. Is there a way to avoid the $3400 dollars to register or if I buy the car in NY then bring it here I will still have to pay the $3400 in sales tax even if it was not bought in this state.
thanks

There's no way to avoid the tax. It's actually a "use" tax, since there's no sale within the state. It's the same % though. I won't recommend you commit tax fraud, but I also don't think they can verify what you state is the cost of the vehicle.

Make sure you get all your ducks in a row and that you get all the right forms/signatures from the seller before driving off with your new set of wheels. Don't forget insurance.

See here.

You pay the sales tax where you live.

My tax and registration bill was over $7k when I bought, but luckily I don't have to pay more than the $198 yearly fee going forward. Some guys have to pay a fee/tax every year!

Last edited:
You don't pay taxes or registration where you bought it, you bring it back to the state you live in and pay taxes there. Unfortunately you live in a state where they rip people off and levy the tax on the same car over and over again when it changes hands.

On a side note, my registration was $250 for the first 2 years and this year it jumped to $338...bummer.

Back