Question on Comptech supercharged cars.

I am interested in a CTSC nsx. But I am concerned about smog legality of such a car. Hope someone can answer some question on the kit.

What does one need to prove r provide to he DMV to prove kit is legal or CARB compliant? If the kit has an upgraded Autorotor is it still legal?

One last question, on a 91, if the emission numbers are not in spec what can you do to bring it back into spec? What adjustments are there?

TIA
Anthony.

Re: Question on Coomptech supercharged cars.

Would help if you let people know where you live.

I am interested in a CTSC nsx. But I am concerned about smog legality of such a car. Hope someone can answer some question on the kit.

What does one need to prove r provide to he DMV to prove kit is legal or CARB compliant? If the kit has an upgraded Autorotor is it still legal?

One last question, on a 91, if the emission numbers are not in spec what can you do to bring it back into spec? What adjustments are there?

TIA
Anthony.

My '95 has undergone emission testing here in Denver twice since putting on the Autorotor CTSC 3.5 years ago. The first time it was the standard kit, the most recent time it was on the high boost with the AEM FIC, tuned by Chris at SOS. Only other drivetrain mods are Comptech headers and Taitec GTLW exhaust, still using stock cats. I don't recall the numbers from the first test but I remember it was well under any of the legal limits. The most recent test was a few weeks ago, I was less than 20% of the limit on any of the categories. My car has 41k on it.

Last edited:

The DMV in California will only ask to see the smog certification paperwork during every other registration/year. Even then, the smog technician may not even notice the supercharger since they probably don't get too many NSX's. If the kit is altered in any way, then it's technically illegal. That being said, most technicians probably would not check pulley diameters or injector sizes. My smog tech in my area didn't even ask to see the CARB EO number for the CTSC and mine failed the first try. Realistically, the base kit doesn't make max boost in the RPM/speed range they will be testing, so most emissions failures are usually due to the cats cooling off or in my case the tech was running the test in the wrong gear.

As long as you are using OEM or aftermarket cats with the base CTSC kit you should be fine. Aftermarket cats should also have a CARB EO number, but plenty of owners have used non CARB high flow cats and still manage to pass.

Where is the CARB EO number located? I take it that this is what will exempt the car right?

The DMV in California will only ask to see the smog certification paperwork during every other registration/year. Even then, the smog technician may not even notice the supercharger since they probably don't get too many NSX's. If the kit is altered in any way, then it's technically illegal. That being said, most technicians probably would not check pulley diameters or injector sizes. My smog tech in my area didn't even ask to see the CARB EO number for the CTSC and mine failed the first try. Realistically, the base kit doesn't make max boost in the RPM/speed range they will be testing, so most emissions failures are usually due to the cats cooling off or in my case the tech was running the test in the wrong gear.

As long as you are using OEM or aftermarket cats with the base CTSC kit you should be fine. Aftermarket cats should also have a CARB EO number, but plenty of owners have used non CARB high flow cats and still manage to pass.

Where is the CARB EO number located? I take it that this is what will exempt the car right?

I think the kits came with a sticker that had the EO number, but mine never did. I printed up the CARB EO directly off the california air resource board website and put it in my glove box. If the tech gives you problems about the supercharger, just find another test station as there are plenty around. Most that I have been to would rather test your car and have you pay after.

TIA
Anthony.

It's CARB. If you have OBD2 then at emissions, all they should check is the OBD2 plug for the emissions log (assuming you're going with the FIC).

If you have OBD1, then they do a tailpipe test, at which, good luck! :P but you'll probably be fine too...

If you're in Kalifornia, then it can be more complicated... but CT is usually a safe bet.

I have a CTSC and live in California.

It is CARB compliant. They DO NOTICE IT and stop right there until I show them the paper work.

the EO stuff is all online, I'm too pressed for time to give you the exact PDF, but it is there!

CARB Search for NSX Comptech

The only adjustment on the CTSC is the fuel pressure.

If it is not passing, then replace the O2 sensors....and go up from there.

Drew

Last edited:
Back