Question for car stereo installers (baffling problem w/aftermarket receiver)

Any idea why a receiver will reset itself overnight (as though it lost power; station presets, EQ settings, clock, etc.), and if it's cool outside (low 70Fs) won't power on until the car is warmed up? This in Phoenix, where current overnight lows are in the 60Fs.

The long story is, I purchased and installed a JVC KD-SX980 MP3/CD receiver in my 95 Dodge Stealth (using a Metra dash kit & wiring harness), and it worked fine when the car was parked in the garage. Now that it's parked on the drive way (since the NSX is in the garage ;-) and the weather is cooling down, I'm experiencing this weird problem. I checked for loose connections on the wiring harness, and soldered the leads to be sure, but that hasn't helped.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

My guess is you got the constant wire and the switched wire backwards. Recheck them, most stereo's will remember without any power for a short period of time. Put your car in the garage let it sit for 10 min with the power off, see if it still remembers everything you programmed in.

Yeah, check the constant and switched power wires. If it's not that, it's probably a problem with the deck. Also, some of the aftermarket wire harnesses don't have the correct wire configurations. Try wiring it directly. I had that problem once on an Alpine deck and it turned out to be the deck. Try another deck, it may be defective.

Back