Question about used transmission fluid

I had the car up on jack stands last weekend and decided to change the transmission fluid while at it. Bought 3 quarts of Honda HG MTF white cap and the 2 crush washers. The fluid change is pretty simple and I had a quart bottle hand pump to put the fluid back. I put in about 2.8qts before it was full.

My question is: the transmission fluid that came out looked about as new as the transmission fluid that I put in, exact same color. I know the car was very well taken care of by the previous owner, but it's properly been at least a couple of years and couple thousand miles at minimum since last change. So is transmission oil like timing belts? As far as not always knowing how old they are by visual inspection? Engine oil looks filthy after 100 miles, but tranny oil isn't exposed to gas, coolant, carbon deposits, extreme heat as much as engine oil. As soon as I saw how clear the oil coming out was I thought I had over done the whole preventive maintenance thing. But I changed it anyway. Peace of mind. I know illwillem changes tranny fluid pretty frequently so maybe he's also seen it looking brand new too. Anybody else out there feel silly changing any brand new looking fluids?

No problem with that at all. I've been anal enough before to change trans fluid every 5k miles or less sometimes. That's with an occasional track event here or there. Whatever helps you sleep better at night!

Was there any color difference after 5000 miles?

Mine was so clean I started thinking I'm introducing just as much dirt and dust in there while leaving the drain plug open while draining than what I'm taking out by the fluid change.

yeah I have seen some very dark urine color and then I have seen some that look close to water color.

I only use GM Syncromesh Friction Modified " cocktail " in all my cars and all my customers NSX's it makes a huge difference in the way the transmission feels.

try it and you will know.

Was there any color difference after 5000 miles?

Mine was so clean I started thinking I'm introducing just as much dirt and dust in there while leaving the drain plug open while draining than what I'm taking out by the fluid change.

Not much but it was for peace of mind since I was putting it through track events which definitely breaks down the fluid at those hot temps.

If you haven't already, get a magnetic drain plug to help a little too.

Manual transmission fluid service interval is every 30K miles. Remember the transmission fluid does not get contaminated with fuel by-products like the engine oil.

Does not surprise me it looked good;).

Regards,
LarryB

Thanks guys for chiming in. I may be new but I've been lurking prime long enough to know Larry B is the walking NSX bible. I guess I expected the fluid to look somewhat used, it had to be over 2 years old for sure. Happy to see it that clean though. If anybody out there is afraid of tackling a transmission fluid change, don't even worry, it's as easy as an oil change with the right tools. I haven't driven it yet, but I don't expect any change since there wasn't anything wrong with it before, but who knows, maybe the placebo effect alone will make me think it's now buttery smooth shifts and the car gained 10 horsepower, haha.

Manual transmission fluid service interval is every 30K miles. Remember the transmission fluid does not get contaminated with fuel by-products like the engine oil.

Does not surprise me it looked good;).

Regards,
LarryB
+1,
This is a often missed service.
But still it doesn't hurt to change and you should follow Honda's recommend interval.

Back