Question about upcoming purchase

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm considering buying an NSX so I was hoping some people on here would help me evaluate my car.

I have an acquaintance who is selling a 98 with 41,000 miles black interior manual transmission. It's stock except for a body kit and has been repainted white for some reason. Looks like it has had 4 owners over the years. Car fax has an accident in 1998 presumably when it was brand new. I'm not sure of the significance of this 16 years later having made it this far... The seller claims there are no issues with the car.

Price = 35k
I will also have to pay shipping... I'm going to look at it tomorrow closely and get it inspected by a mechanic. I have seen it in person last week and the condition looks 8/10 or better for a car that age. Interior is almost mint.

Does anyone have any advice? Does this seem like a good price? Or could I do better? It almost seems to good to be true which is why I'm posting here.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the VIN. Looks like it was sold on this forum in 2006.

JH4NA2161WT000032

I think if you can be patient and wait for an accident free car without any paint or body mods it would be better in the long run, especially for resale.

Having said that, the price seems pretty low for that mileage. Does it come with any maintenance history? It should have a timing belt replacement soon if it hasnt already.

There is a new buyers checklist in the wiki which is very helpful.

Good Luck!

image.jpgimage.jpgHey guys thanks for the quick reply. There is no ad right now. The who is selling it is my mechanic who has done a bunch of work on my S2000. I do have a picture of the car however so I will see if I can find a way to post it. I'm sure I can always find an original paint with no mods but from what I'm seeing for sale, they are significantly more than 35k. My main concern is mechanical reliability. A paint job doesn't really concern me unless it was something that significantly reduced the value of the car to less than what I'd be paying...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the seller is telling me that it's not the original paint so maybe it was painted well before 2006 when it was last sold on this forum.

Last edited:
Definitely get a thorough PPI by another mechanic that knows NSXs. But $35,000 for a 3.2L 6-speed GPW NSX with 41,000 miles is a really really good deal, so long as it checks out. Roof has been painted black since 2006 and body kit, hood, etc added. The history is something you will have to live with when it's time to sell, whether the accident was 16 years ago or 26 years ago there are some people that avoid NSXs with accidents entirely, but again, that's probably why it's much cheaper than you would expect for that car. If GPW is the color you want, there aren't many around for sale, and if it has a good PPI from a good mechanic that knows what to look for, I would be all over this thing if I were you, it looks awesome!

A clean, accident free, all maintenance done 98 GPW with 41k miles would be $45k+ easily, closer to $50-55k depending on condition, so it's up to you to decide if the accident and any due maintenance is worth the savings. You will not get many chances at GPWs, accident free or not, so take a good look at this one, and at the very least you will learn what to look for if you decide to pass it up.

Last edited:
lets hope this does not end up being like the cobblers own shoes...if you catch my drift.

often times the worst lawn in the neighborhood is the landscapers, a cobbler is the oldworld name for the shoe repair guy whose own family's shoes are in disrepair because he is too busy fixing other peoples stuff....this car you are interested in is owned by a mechanic...that was my drift.

often times the worst lawn in the neighborhood is the landscapers, a cobbler is the oldworld name for the shoe repair guy whose own family's shoes are in disrepair because he is too busy fixing other peoples stuff....this car you are interested in is owned by a mechanic...that was my drift.

Truth.

Unfortunately looks better in the prime for sale ad than it does now.

Price does seem low though... Better go over it more thorough than usual.

Back