Question about the K40

So I'm taking apart my K40 because I'm trying to integrate it into my other car... When I took off the casing I see that it has no detectors facing towards you, for rear detection. It's got a large metal funnel for, I assume the X,K,Ka bands and two small windows, for laser I think facing in front. In the back it's just got LEDs. The K40 website says that you get laser protection front and rear, but I don't see how it could be. The front of the radar detector is totally covered by plastic. I don't know much about detectors, but I don't think the K40 has any rear detection. Can someone comment? I bet if I disassembled the V1 it would have detectors facing you.

[This message has been edited by Ag NSX (edited 26 November 2001).]

There are several types of K40 detectors that appear to have the same type of dash mounted display, when in fact one detector offers only front protection and the other offers both front and rear. The front and rear model (the exact # escapes me) came with 2 sensors for the x, k, ka bands and one laser sensor. Off the top of my head, I remember the manual telling me to install the single laser sensor in the front. There are 3 sensors though. Couldn't quite tell you whats going on in the lil boxes. I never physically opened em up, but I still have my manufacturers wiring diagrams so if you want to take a look at em, let me know and I'll email it to you. They show both front only and front/rear installations

eek.gif
BE CAREFUL!! The insides is radioactive!!! I hope you didn't take the casing off to view the insides. Unless you are wearing a lead outfit you should not do this. Another thing to worry about is as the case comes off you could damage the FLUX capacitor which will make the unit not work properly
biggrin.gif

------------------
Kenji Ligon
91 Red CTSC NSX

[This message has been edited by Attitude Adjuster (edited 26 November 2001).]

The K40 I have is the portable unit, like a regular radar detector. It says it has front and rear detection on the website and my manual. The only part I took apart was the plastic casing.

Kenric

Back