question about an auto

It is a popular approach in Japan. Of course you will need all the parts plus ECU (or custom tuned ECU). The reason for the popularity in Japan is due to the power steering Auto Tranny car has, lots of people want the PS feature. also about half the NSXs sold in Japan are auto, so easier access to the car.

Here in the states, you shouldn't have to think about that, if you already own an automatic, sell it and get a manual, it will be a cheaper route.

i have a 91 auto and a 92 supercharger manual... 4.25 gears....Night and day diff....

I was going to do the same and was quoted 7k....I said forget that and bought a car nicely price with the mods I wanted...the auto is red and stick silver...the red is flashey and looks fast, but the silver one is....

i tried headers, chips, intake, nitrous....in my auto.....money was building up with lil results....i found myself using the gears manually in the auto...

This does seem to be a recurring question. I own an automatic NSX and although common sense tells me to just sell and purchase a 5-spd car I will most likely go through with the swap. Preston, did a local shop quote you on the trans swap? Searching through older threads I believe Kane has done the swap as well although I don't know how much he would charge.

regards,

Matt

How does the auto feel with regards to shifting in aggressive driving?

Is there a huge delay, or is it almost as good as manual?

Just curious as I am in the market for an NSX.

Thanks, manual it is

dont get me wrong the auto is STill an NSX....but dont go broke trying to increase the performance..........Its still a great car and is rare....I am going to keep my auto 91 in storage as long as my wife will let me......Hey first USA year..Maybe worth something more one day...I hope

esp since the auto makes less power and doesn't rev as high right off the bat. You will need to invest in a swap, and do bolt ons just to be where a bone stock 5 speed will be power wise. Also if you swap in the 5 speed with the lower redline found in the auto, you will have the tall ratios of the 5 speed without the benefit of actually having a high top speed in each gear.

How does the auto feel with regards to shifting in aggressive driving?

Is there a huge delay, or is it almost as good as manual?

Just curious as I am in the market for an NSX.

hello if you drive it agressive using the gears...1st gear you cant tell that much a diff...in fact a manual may launch and spin why you wont.....however when the auto change from 1st to second, you fall way out of vtech range....

then i added a torque converter on m auto with high stall and prospeed ecu upgrade---Night and day...Car pulls hard 1 2 and 3 gear... The gears are tall on the AUto IE its a 4speed.....

headers on auto made the car lose low end torque

u really think the auto is fast until you drive a stick....

if you a daily driver and will be in traffic...auto

if you looking for mor and more performance....manual.....

i am torn....between the two........

make the right choice based on your needs and wants....

good luck

p.s. it bogs down a lil at take off and when gears change....tq conver changes that

hello if you drive it agressive using the gears...1st gear you cant tell that much a diff...in fact a manual may launch and spin why you wont.....however when the auto change from 1st to second, you fall way out of vtech range....

then i added a torque converter on m auto with high stall and prospeed ecu upgrade---Night and day...Car pulls hard 1 2 and 3 gear... The gears are tall on the AUto IE its a 4speed.....

headers on auto made the car lose low end torque

u really think the auto is fast until you drive a stick....

if you a daily driver and will be in traffic...auto

if you looking for mor and more performance....manual.....

i am torn....between the two........

make the right choice based on your needs and wants....

good luck

p.s. it bogs down a lil at take off and when gears change....tq conver changes that

* The answer is simple- get 1 of each !
(mine is auto and I like it, I'm just into cruising and a little spirited mountain driving though, not racing)

Wouldn't a Comptech Supercharger help the Auto performance? Sounds like the solution to me, or is there some kind of an incompatability issue?:confused:

Tytus

Wouldn't a Comptech Supercharger help the Auto performance? Sounds like the solution to me, or is there some kind of an incompatability issue?:confused:

Tytus

Some auto owners have installed the supercharger with no issues except maybe reduced transmission life. And that is a maybe as the auto has no set life span.

Back