Ques. for Auto Trans. Owners

I'm considering buying a '94 for my wife (so she believes):biggrin: But I haven't decided on manual or auto. trans. configuration. If it were for me... manual hands down.

So I've read a lot about the manual trans., early snap rings, friction plate changes, clutch replacement etc... and I've driven a 2002 w/manual , but there's very little out there on the automatics. I know they're quite rare production-wise.

So here's my questions:

1) I've read the autos are similar to the formula one trans. What's the similarity?

2) What's the difference between the early auto models and the auto introduced in '97... or are they same?

3) As an auto owner, how would you rate the driving experience? Do you typically manually shift through the gears, or leave it in drive and let the trans. determine shift points.

4) If you had to do it agian, would you buy an auto NSX?

5) If there's info on this site point me to it, I haven't found anythingmuch in FAQs, search, etc....

Thanks
Walt

WaltL said:
1) I've read the autos are similar to the formula one trans. What's the similarity?
The NSX automatic is really not at all similar to the clutchless sequential manual gearbox used on F1 cars and on certain other cars (Ferrari, BMW). However, the Sportshift (introduced on the NSX in '95) and the F1 trannies both use levers mounted on the steering column to control upshifts and downshifts.

WaltL said:
2) What's the difference between the early auto models and the auto introduced in '97... or are they same?
The '91-94 is a conventional automatic. Beginning in '95, the automatic is the Sportshift, with levers to initiate upshifts and downshifts.

3) As an auto owner, how would you rate the driving experience? Do you typically manually shift through the gears, or leave it in drive and let the trans. determine shift points.

4) If you had to do it agian, would you buy an auto NSX?

Walt[/QUOTE]

I just bought a 95 auto and I really enjoy it. Of course I live in LA and I'm way past my hot Roding days. I only use the sport shift when I want to fool around. In auto, the car shifts sooner than I would, i.e. way before red line.

If I lived elsewhere I would have waited for a stick to come available, but for now, I'm having a lot of fun with my auto!

Been driving it for 5 years. Absolutely love it. Easy during traffic and less work to drive (one hand can hold drinking cup while you're driving) :biggrin:

Same with the above, absolutely love it. Don't track the car. Used as daily commuter to work, just under 15km (less than 10 miles), and traffic is just as bad in Vancouver, BC during rush hours.

However, I am usually able to have a little fun in our industrial complex with alotta twisties and sometimes off freeway exits. Usually would just leave on 2nd gear, as the automatic is just 4 speed, when Im doing this...

But as a daily drive theres nothing more I can ask for at the same price, just not possible.

Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful! I'm definitely getting one these cars... soon. However, at this point, I'm leaning towards the manual config.
Thanks again
Walt

I have an auto and think its great. I'm past "Prime" and don't track the car either. I guess I would like to have the best of both worlds and get one of each!:biggrin:

Wife and daughter love the auto......

WaltL said:
Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful! I'm definitely getting one these cars... soon. However, at this point, I'm leaning towards the manual config.
Thanks again
Walt

Good decision. The only reasons I could see getting an auto is 1)bumper to bumper traffic all the time 2) a physical inability to drive stick(I guess for some mental could be added):biggrin:

Well, the '91 is the ol' standard of the mill Automatic shifter, it had no "tiptronic" like the post '97 models. I'll admit it, there might be nothing like power shifting a sports car, but the automatic NSX has nothing to envy its manual counterpart. It is lovely to just drive easy down the street, and the kick-down is a power packed punch.

Personally, I believe there is way too much complaining about the automatic transmisiion, so what a couple snap, i'd be some manuals get gearing problems as well. I might be the only person who hasn't raced an NSX again someone, OK OK a high speed BMW 850i once, but sports cars to me are mean to be driven and enjoys, not as an ego prop to see whose the fastest.

To sum it up, i personally don't think you can go wrong, about automatic trans failiure, around here, I haven't heard of the first. But if you are going to hard drive it, an extra thing to do is to get an upgrated trans cooler and some good Red Line Oil.

My suggestion, TEST DRIVE, it's the only way you can tell if it is right for you.

Paul Days

I've driven a manual '02 and ABSOLUTELY loved it! Unfortunately, this car will be primarily my wife's car, and also pretty much a daily driver. So far I've talked her out of a Thunderbird (Ford...gutless), a Jaguar XK8 (Ford... also gutless unless you get the XKR supercharged version), and a Crossfire (very nice car, but too small for my 6'2" frame). The NSX meets all her criteria and mine (can't believe the leg room and non-scrunched pedel config.!) plus it has the added advantage of low production numbers and certain appreciation/collectability over time.
My toy is a '72 340 'Cuda, so I can't really justify an NSX for myself... yet! She drives a stick fine but, price-wise, I'm definitely in the high mile market (~70-100k) and, since I do all my own mechanics, I figure I'll have to do a clutch at some point. I've actually found a stock, non-tracked '93 that has had documented Acrua 85K service including t-belt, H2O pump, brake flush, etc... but no clutch work. So I've been looking into what it'll take to do the clutch, aftermarket single disc/flywheel vs stock dual discs, etc. Parts seem to be a bit on the high end :eek: An auto would probably be better for her and less maintenance for me, but I will be driving the car just a wee bit, AND since a few of my friends compete in NASA racing and I'm only 15 mi from Road Atlanta...well, you get the picture. Plus, I always get the hand-me-downs :biggrin:

WaltL said:
So I've been looking into what it'll take to do the clutch, aftermarket single disc/flywheel vs stock dual discs, etc. Parts seem to be a bit on the high end :eek: An auto would probably be better for her and less maintenance for me, but I will be driving the car just a wee bit, AND since a few of my friends compete in NASA racing and I'm only 15 mi from Road Atlanta...well, you get the picture. Plus, I always get the hand-me-downs :biggrin:

Would rather replace a clutch than an auto-tranny. Sourcing an auto tranny if anything goes wrong with it may be tough and expensive. As for the clutch OEM is around $1100, RPS is about $1800 on the 91-95's that does not include labor.

Since this car is for your wife, primarily:biggrin: , why not have her drive both auto and manual and see which she prefers. That may sway your decision, all of this paper argument does no good, its the real world experience that counts.

If you can shift gears you owe it to yourself to buy a manual NSX. Do not buy an automatic NSX if you want the full NSX experience. Teach your wife how to drive a stick.

Back