• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Quality USB charger for NSX

eea9_over9000_compact_2amp_usb_car_power_adapter.jpg

I picked this up because I liked the very low profile and the claims that it charged quickly. The USB charger I currently use in the NSX doesn't quite cover the usage drain of my phone during a long road trip and sticks out quite a bit. I was thinking that this would allow me to close the little cover and leave it in there all the time. Great intentions, but a complete failure as the connectors don't seem to jive with 90s technology.

Has anyone picked up a nice little charger that works in the NSX?

i plug the adapter in. no power. doesn't light up.

tested it in my SUV - powers up, lights up. So I figure there has been tech changes in cars that the NSX does not have. Incidentally, wouldn't work in my 99 Prelude either.

i plug the adapter in. no power. doesn't light up.

tested it in my SUV - powers up, lights up. So I figure there has been tech changes in cars that the NSX does not have. Incidentally, wouldn't work in my 99 Prelude either.
I went through this with both the NSX and S2000. It is the depth of the 12 volt socket Honda uses. The low profile units do not get deep enough to make a good connection. Interesting, a $1.00 made in china dual USB unit worked the best for me.

If you're handy, drill a hole in the tip of the spring plunger and put a screw in to extend it.

I use a Kinivo Bluetooth unit that is low profile and has a charging port, but I also added a charger behind the console with a cord run to the left of the cluster where my phone mount is.

It's funny you say that because some of the $1 Chinese-made USB outlets I have get extremely hot under normal use. So much so that my wife refused to use them.

Nice - that looks pretty small. Will the little door close, or do you need to leave it open all the time?

The little door doesn't close but I've had success previously with Anker products and I wanted something that I knew would work for me.

Anker_001.jpg
Anker_002.jpg

Another happy Anker user.
As my device (Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus) supports Qualcomm Quick Charge, I went for the Anker PowerDrive+1 instead of Anker’s standard Power IQ and VoltageBoost products.

Please note that Anker has already released later version (supporting Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0) than the one in my photo (Quick Charge 2.0).
Also, it does not come with any cables and just the charger unit only.

When driving with the Waze navigation App running on the S6 Edge Plus with GPS and 4G data enabled, the ordinary 5V 1.0A USB charger was not powerful enough and kept draining the battery so I needed much powerful one.
This charger is very small and can charge really fast the Quick Charge supported devices (9V / 12V charge voltage) as well as the non-Quick Charge devices at 5V 2.4A that is enough for most of the devices out there.

The charger length is just about the same as the width of the centre console cut-out behind the shift lever.

Anker_003.jpg
Anker_006.jpg

When in use, the height is just about flush with the ashtray. Obviously, the overall height will depend on the design of the USB cable you selected.

Anker_005.jpg
Anker_007.jpg

Green LED shows that its in Quick Charge mode with output voltage at 9V or 12V depending on the charging device.
Blue LED is for the non-Quick Charge mode at 5V 2.4A output. Still much faster than ordinary charger.

Anker_008.jpg
Anker_009.jpg

Anker_010.jpg

By the way, you really need to invest in good quality USB cable when it comes to device charging as well as data transfer.
It makes huge difference in total charging time.

Same charger, same charging device and just different USB cable comparison back to back within a few seconds.
As you can see, the charging current is much higher when using good quality cable.

It’s not just the cable thickness but one factor for faster charging.

Kaz

I purchased a dual charger with a higher output. One output is higher wattage, and spliced it where the original cigarette lighter was and relocated it into the center console. I believe it was for a motorcycle so very weather resistant and definitely stealthy. Works great. Picked it up off Amazon and I think the cost was under $12.

Thanks for the details Katz - making me feel better about pulling the trigger on the Anker charger. Looks like I should pick up an Anker charger cable as well

To wrap this post up, I was able to find exactly what I was looking for with the help of this forum. An inexpensive, quality USB charger that isn't likely to burn down my car, will charge my device quickly and will allow me to close the door hiding it from view when not in use. Anker PowerDrive 2 Lite (Amazon Link) for $7. As you can see from the photo below, it fits nearly flush and the door has zero problem closing. The connectors reach the power unlike the other compact charger I bought. Happy!

fgBKtr.jpg

ok - now I am off to dust my interior. Ugg - zoomed in photos!

Amazon has a few that bypass the cigarette lighter port. That thing is archaic anyway. I plan to put one of these inside the center console. Just need to find one that is 2.1amps + 2.1amps. All I see are 2.1amps + 1amp. There are also some that are 2.1amps combined between 2 usb ports.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...v+USB+socket&rh=n:2335752011,k:12v+USB+socket

I am far to lazy to rewire things when I can just buy something and stick it in the socket. Added bonus, I don't really want to mess around with electrical components in the car if I don't have to. If I was tearing out the center console to install one of those fancy double din thingies, then sure. Otherwise, $7 - stick it in and be done is what works for me.

Back