Purchasing (Price) Advice

I have located a Canadian 91 from an original owner with 41,000km in pristine condition with all records, storred most of the year with very little regular use. The car is Black and is absolutly perfect.

Now the question, what is it worth. Owner is not in a panic to sell but would use the proceeds to buy another car for his wife and is asking $52K Cdn.

I was thinking $45K was more in line.

Opinions please?

..jack

45K is a fair price, not great...Just make sure it out of snap ring range and the maintenance is all up to par.

Good luck.

Pit-Pony said:
I have located a Canadian 91 from an original owner with 41,000km in pristine condition with all records, storred most of the year with very little regular use. The car is Black and is absolutly perfect.

Now the question, what is it worth. Owner is not in a panic to sell but would use the proceeds to buy another car for his wife and is asking $52K Cdn.

I was thinking $45K was more in line.

Opinions please?

..jack

Given the number of beat up cars out there, and the scarcity of canadian cars -- if you're set on getting a canadian model, then I would certainly consider $48-50k for a pristine car with good service records. It's certainly on the high side, but it all depends on the condition of the vehicle. As Bram noted, make sure it's not in the snap ring range.

Of course the way the US dollar is going (down!), and the abundance of US cars, it may make sense to look at that option as well.

if the car is all original and flawless, i would pay the 52k for it.... you should grab it soon before someone else scoops it up...
when i found mine, orig and at a very cheap asking price i jumped on it like white on rice.... :biggrin:

good luck,
nathan

OK, so I have not seen this car in person as of yet. Only heard the stories and seen the pics.

Thanks for all your replys (and the valuable PM). I made an offer, which is dependant on the snap ring range info and me seeing all the records and driving the car.

Let's see if he'll take $44. No other market for it around here I'm afraid.

..jack

Last edited:
Well, generally speaking, there is no NSX market around here yes, but there is a very willing and sometimes able population of 18 YOs with their hats on backwards and upside down who'd love to showcase their new NSX at a local Krispy Kreme parking lot.

I know that my NSX sat at the dealer, new, for over 2 years :D

Unfortunately the US dollar tanked so any buyer in Canada has that option. If I'm buying an NSX it's worth 42k and if I'm selling it's worth 52k. The final price depends on how much I want an NSX in my driveway or how badly I need the money, keeping in mind they ain't going up in price any time soon. Offer him whatever, which is what a really good NSX would cost you in the USA, and increase from there.

Burrard Acura asked 52 for a 97 auto with 100k on it, a couple of years ago that very same car was offered for 80k here and then 69k. It had maybe 20k less kilometers on it back then.

My wife thinks I'm completly insane to contemplate paying $40-50K for a 15 year old car that you can't drive in winter, won't leave outside overnight and probably won't even use at the track, something I like to do.

So why buy it? she asks.

I have no good answer, I need some help here, what do I say?

So far all I could mutter is "Well, I just need one that's all".

So, what are you going to sell?

I'm not planning on selling anything.

You gotta sell one of your cars, there just isn't room for another one.

Ya, I say. I'll find a place to store it.

In the dinning room? ....

Anyway you get the picture. :biggrin:

..jack

Pit-Pony said:
My wife thinks I'm completly insane to contemplate paying $40-50K for a 15 year old car that you can't drive in winter, won't leave outside overnight and probably won't even use at the track, something I like to do.

So why buy it? she asks.

..jack
Tell her that a new one is $140 K+ and no longer avalible. It's a steal at $45k. Your saving $100k over new. She might buy the saving part.

When I bought mine I wanted a perfect example three years ago and bought it from the owner of an Acura dealership. I knew I was paying more than other flawed examples and was happy to do it because it's service record was well known and I would not be spending money later on repairs and incomplete service later.

If you want perfect buy perfect. If you want cheaper buy cheaper. I think his price is fair if it's that good.

If you can afford the car and want a sports car, then just buy it.
Once you drive it and the wife rides in it,(note, she doesn't drive it) then you will know why you bought it.
Just sit in one.
Trev

Pit-Pony said:

So why buy it? she asks.

..jack

Jack,
It sounds like the two of you need to go for a test drive. You need to get the car warmed up with some easy driving, then floor it in first, second and so forth. She might not admit it at first, but she will love the rush. Then, if that doesn't work, follow the old rule of "she gets something, you get something". Might be time for a nice dinner, flowers, etc. Jewelry always helps. :smile:

Best of luck with your search.

Well, yes I have driven an NSX. Nice ride.

My son and I both track our cars and my wife has been a passanger many a time during lapping days, taking the 11 corners and two strights of our local track strapped in her seat and hanging on, often screaming, the kind of screaming one does on a roller coaster as we break hard from 160 km/h or so.

I don't think a ride in the car will close the deal. It's mostly a "Your nuts with this car thing and what the heck can I do about it :smile: "

So, I'm searching for a car that I can sneak into the garage under the existing limit of the line of credit :biggrin:

My challange is to find the right car and like evryone here I'd prefer one that's just "perfect", at a cost I can pay.

Still searching .....

Excuse me < no dear, I'm not looking for a car, just chatting with the guys that's all > :tongue: let me know if you have a line on one please :cool:

..jack

nsx-tech said:
Tell her that a new one is $140 K+ and no longer avalible. It's a steal at $45k. Your saving $100k over new. She might buy the saving part.
I strongly don't think she will buy the saving part.
SHe will proberly said, "yea a new one costs $140+k but it's also already 15 years old".

DOn't get me wrong I love the NSX and I am desperatly want to buy one since every one of my friends have Porsche 911's and M3's. I like something not ordinary.
But I also think $50k for a 15 years old car is too much since a 99~00 Porsche 911 C2 costs around the same too.
So I guess I will just keep searching for the right one.

Just buy it already!

She will forget all about it.

Timing is everything. On the way home from picking up my wife's new Sienna, that she was wanting for a year, I asked my wife if she could give me a ride to an ACURA dealer the next day. She asked why. I said to pick up my 2002 NSX. She said WHAT!!!!

Little did she know that the only reason she had her Sienna that day was because the day before I bought her Sienna, I bought my NSX and I knew I was a deadman if I came home with a new car and she didnt have one too.

:D :D :D

Diamonds also work well!

I was thinking of a ton of chocolate, but that may backfire, as I'm sure to later get the inevitable question when she turns and looks at herself in the mirror :biggrin:

So, does anyone have a line on a car that's not currently in the for sale section?

..jack

Last edited:
The car I started this post with, a black 91 has 48,000 km and is (supposedly) pretty nice originally offered at $52K Cdn.

I negotiated it down (sight unseen) to $45K Cdn. Only thing is the tranny vin is smack dab in the middle of the snap range.

What do you guys think. If the trany goes, what's the cost? Do they still have refurb units somewhere in the states?

Decisions eh?

The last guy that I talk to that had his Snap Ring repaired before it failed, cost him appox $3500.00 this was a few years ago.

So based on this info you can budget appox $4K for the repair, or drive it as is and hope for the best.

Bram

Car never had any service except oil, I offered 40, I'm sure he won't let it go for that but that's all it's worth in my view considering the maintenance it now needs and the snap ring contingency.

..jack

Whatever you do make sure you get a PPI service done at an Acura dealer and then if it checks out fly to the car before you buy it in order to check the fit and finish and stuff that the dealer inspection might have missed or not cared about.

Back