Purchasing a Car in Europe?

Hi I was wondering if you guys can offer me any suggestions or what hassles come in purchasing a car overseas? This will be from a private party. Any suggestions on how to handle the transaction so I don't get ripped?

couple of more questions:

1. What taxes must i pay for the vehicle when it reaches the states?
2. How do I handle customs?
3. Offer any transactions methods that i can use to be safe?
4.Anybody know a prime member in Italy where the car is located?

Story behind the car is, The owner use to live in California and went to Italy to become a E.R. doctor, and took the car with him.

Thanks, Mark

My strong recommendation is NOT to buy a car that someone claims is in Europe, unless the seller is a personal friend or relative. There are a lot of scams on the internet, being perpetrated by scammers in Europe. They copy photos and descriptions of cars for sale by dealers in the United States, and post them falsely claiming that these are their cars and that the cars are in Europe. Click here to read about two current fraudulent NSX listings on Autotrader. Unless this is someone you know well, I would be willing to lay odds that the person who claims he has an NSX in Europe is another one of these scammers, who will vanish in the wind as soon as you send him a deposit.

There are plenty of NSXs available in the United States, of all years and colors etc. You can get any NSX you want as long as you are willing to pay a fair price. The scammers sometimes succeed because they post cars at a bargain price, and they prey on potential buyers who badly want to believe that they can actually get a car at a price that is too good to be true. Well, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don't do it. Don't even think about it.

nsxtasy said:
My strong recommendation is NOT to buy a car that someone claims is in Europe, unless the seller is a personal friend or relative. There are a lot of scams on the internet, being perpetrated by scammers in Europe. They copy photos and descriptions of cars for sale by dealers in the United States, and post them falsely claiming that these are their cars and that the cars are in Europe. Click here to read about two current fraudulent NSX listings on Autotrader. Unless this is someone you know well, I would be willing to lay odds that the person who claims he has an NSX in Europe is another one of these scammers, who will vanish in the wind as soon as you send him a deposit.

There are plenty of NSXs available in the United States, of all years and colors etc. You can get any NSX you want as long as you are willing to pay a fair price. The scammers sometimes succeed because they post cars at a bargain price, and they prey on potential buyers who badly want to believe that they can actually get a car at a price that is too good to be true. Well, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don't do it. Don't even think about it.

Yeah I saw the Autotrader listing on the 04, I knew this can be a big scam so i'm asking just incase it is true....A scammer tried to scam me when I was selling my Type-R....I am asking the "owner" all these questions and for a phone number...well see how this goes.

Alittleboost said:
i'm asking just incase it is true....A scammer tried to scam me when I was selling my Type-R....I am asking the "owner" all these questions and for a phone number...well see how this goes.
At best - meaning, if you don't send him any money - you're still wasting your time. But good luck - you're wasting his time, too...

HUGE SCAM!!!!!

These things are all over the place now. A common one is the "I'll buy your car overseas but send you extra money to cover shipping and you transfer the balance for me" and "I have a client who's interested etc etc etc....." and "I bought the car when I was in US, but moved to Europe".....blah....blah.....ALL JUNK!!

"if it sounds too good to be true, than it is......... :cool: "

My father bought a Lamborghini in England and had no problems getting it back on US soil. The key thing in making the process go smoothly was that the car was still titled in the US. He bought the car, got the title sent to him and then went to the DMV and registered it here legally. We then flew to London, put Florida plates on the car, drove it around Europe for a few weeks and shipped it home. There was no import taxes to be paid, and it cleared customs with no problem because it was already registered with plates.

DocL said:
My father bought a Lamborghini in England and had no problems getting it back on US soil. The key thing in making the process go smoothly was that the car was still titled in the US.
No, I think the key thing in making the process go smoothly was that (a) the seller actually owned the car, and (b) the car was actually where the seller claimed it was.

FWIW, it is not extremely uncommon to see US registered cars in Italy.

Reason it could be legit:
The likely reason he is trying to sell it back in the US is to avoid the potential complications with European safety standards/import taxes.

Reason it might not be:
Euro/Dollar exchange rates are extremely unfavorable (for the US) currently. This would certainly incentivize the seller to try for a European conversion & sale.

I'd definitely do you homework on this one, but it is certainly not an automatic scam. Where is the car located? I'll be over next month and may be able to help you out.

Heres the ending......story.

I told the guy that I am very suspicious about this being a scam, and I carfaxed the vin and seems to coincide with the location in the ad..but I put him to the test. I told him if he was legit to take a picture of the shift knob holding a coin in his hand next to the shift knob....this being he gave me a horrible excuse of why he couldn't give me a phone number...quite amusing these low life fu*kers.

Let me know if you want to read the story from start to finish..i have the e-mails saved...could be of use for furture nsx buyers.

Btw: I'm getting my NSX!!!!! this Friday!!! shit yeah! :biggrin:

Alittleboost said:
I told him if he was legit to take a picture of the shift knob holding a coin in his hand next to the shift knob....
What a great idea! Something any legitimate seller could easily give you!

nsxtasy said:
No, I think the key thing in making the process go smoothly was that (a) the seller actually owned the car, and (b) the car was actually where the seller claimed it was.

That is 100% correct. It does help to know that both parties are honest. :smile:

Hi everyone. I am from ITALY and I can help you guys if you need any help.
Regarding to buy something in Italy, anyway, at the moment I do not think it is really convenient, since Euro now it is really expensive to buy with USD because of the rate change.

Anyway, if anyone need some help for some stuff, you can write me here or directly to [email protected]

I am an NSX owner and I will be happy to "help" another NSX owner or future owner.

Ciao to everyone
Emanuele

Back