Purchasing 92 NSX in Montana. Concerned with Registering and smogging in CA

So I'm purchasing a 92 NSX in Montana, and driving it home to Southern CA. So of course I need to register it and smog it in CA.

My concern is, will I run into any unforeseen smog issues? I've heard of horror stories where non-CA cars need lots of $$$ thrown at them in order to pass smog. Basically in order to bring them up to the stricter CA requirements.......

This car has a completely stock engine and drivetrain. No Engine mods, intake mods, or exhaust mods.

Also - is there an exemption or something for cars that are 20 years old like this one???

Thanks!

A couple things I learned about smogging older NSXs:

-Drive around for an hour right before the smog check to get the cats really hot
-Search your local subforum (i.e. this one) for recommendations for "friendly" places - ones that are familiar with the NSX, basically.
-Once your car is on the dyno, make sure they turn the traction control off

If you fail, get a valve adjustment, then drive 200 miles (as the battery will have been disconnected and the ECU needs to relearn the car) before you go again. Beyond that, there's not much you can do - OEM cats are discontinued, and many of the aftermarket cats are known to "pass once" but then wear out in two years. Someone may have a less-worn set of OEM cats you can borrow in order to pass.

So if I read between the lines, you are saying that I don't need to add a bunch of expensive CA Specific crap to get this non-CA car to pass a smog test......

Your reply sounds like good tips to get any NSX car to pass smog.

Are the non-CA cars the same as the CA cars???

Anyone know the answer to the 20 year old car question?

shouldn't be any issues if all is working normally. As other stated, make sure the cats are hot and get the car tested immediately. You might want to check out the O2 sensors if the car has high mileage.

One guy failed his smog here in CA with high NOx, and that was from a clogged EGR valve. If you have high mileage on your 1992 car, the things to check are cats, O2 sensors, spark plugs, & egr valves.

I purchase my 1995 NSX from out of New Hampshire and had no issues. The biggest issue I had was getting it financed since my lender required the car to be registered in CA before they would loan me the money... :confused: Sort of a Catch22.

Like others have said before, all US NSXs (maybe even all North American NSXs) are 50 state smog legal and have the necessary equipment to pass in all states without any additional smog equipment.

I ran into the same catch 22.

Actually I ran into 2 issues. One bank would not do car loan for car over 7 years. No exceptions.

The other would not do auto loan until registered in CA. So I got a personal loan that is interest free for the first 6 months. Then I get it registered, and cash out the first loan and get an auto loan.

Stupid banks.............

Back