Purchase a "Tracked" Car?

If a car has been tracked a few times, is this a problem? Should I be looking at anything specific? Kind of new to the forum and found a nice NSX locally but the guy said that although he did not put the car on the track, he believed that the former owner did (has extra set of "track" tires/wheels that show some wear.)

Advice would be welcome. Thanks, Andy

As long as the car has been maintained it should not be a problem. I have a '96 with 91,000 miles and 40 track days on it and use it both as a daily driver and track car. It has always been maintained by Larry B. except when I had to bring it to Acura to get the warranty cats work done. When the dealership saw the car they were amazed at its condition and wanted to know which rival dealer kept the car maintained so well and they were shocked to learn that I would only let Larry touch the car. They didn't believe how many track days were on the car so if my personal experience is any indication then there should be no problem with buying a well maintained "tracked car".

paflys said:
If a car has been tracked a few times, is this a problem?
No. As long as it has been well maintained, there is no additional wear and tear to a car that has been tracked, other than to parts that are designed to be replaced periodically (specifically, brake pads, tires, and possibly brake rotors).

Actually, on very low mileage rare sportscars, being tracked every once in a while can be a good thing. Owners that track their cars, in general, are very well informed on the maint. and overall condition of their cars. No one wants to track their very expensive NSX drivetrain/cooling system if they think it can't take it. Also, any individual willing to disclose that for no other reason besides courtesy inspires more confidence IMO.

Back