Protecting paint on a long road trip

Im going to drive my nsx to TX in the middle of march. TX2K9 its a supras meet, about 1200 miles one way, what kind of tapes can i use to tape my front bumper mirrors ect..? I was going to use 2" elec. tape that i can get them online, its black and it matchs my car better:smile:. Im not sure about using unmatch tape that kind of look funny on the car. Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks Primers in advance

Re: Question for primers

They make car bras for this reason.They also make side mirror cozys.

The reason that painters use blue painter's tape (first introduced by 3M as "Long Mask") is that it's adhesive and paper is specially formulated to last a long time, and not dry out, for easy removal. I'm not certain if all "blue painter's tape" is formulated with the same criteria in mind, but 3M will be easier to remove after a lengthy application.

HTH

If you're worried about color match, apply some painters tape around the edges of the bumper, then install a black leather OEM bra on top. The bra will be more aesthetically appealing, will prevent rock chips, and the tape will prevent the bra from rubbing your paint.

If you like, once you arrive in TX you can remove the bra in 10 minutes.

Pony up and get a clear bra!!!

Guys im not joking. I guess the elec tape is out of question, how come i didnt think of OEM black leather bra.:biggrin:. Im going to order one soon

Guys im not joking. I guess the elec tape is out of question, how come i didnt think of OEM black leather bra.:biggrin:. Im going to order one soon

Why not just get a clear bra? Seriously? Leather bras look like crap and unless they fit PERFECT they are going to leave some marks from flapping in the wind.

Black front bra's are soooooooooooo 1982. :biggrin:

Why not just get a clear bra? Seriously? Leather bras look like crap and unless they fit PERFECT they are going to leave some marks from flapping in the wind.

Agreed. And if you encounter rain, the bra will act like sandpaper with the bits of sand and road grit that accumulates under the bra.

Ask me how I know.

What, black bras are sexy as hell!!! Ask me how I know:biggrin::eek:

Here's the magic secret on not getting rock chips: Don't Ride Peoples' Asses.

I have 25,300 miles on my NSX and it has only one or two little chips on the right fender and none anywhere else. I attribute that entirely to the fact that I don't follow closely behind people and speed around trucks when I need to. You should worry more about the side bolster leather than rock chips. Seriously.

I concour. Your Supra is sexy as hell and deserves Victoria's Secret.:wink: BTW where in TX is this held? Thank's.
If i get the bra it would be on and off for the trips only. I think i know what to do. Thanks Primers

Davidf- It will be in Houston March 18-22. We're coming down as a big group widwesters to meet Dallas guys on wednesday night. From there we hit to Houston

OFFICIAL TX2K9 Dates
<HR style="COLOR: #171a1f" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Thursday March 19th - Road Racing at MSR Houston
Friday March 20th - Dyno Day and Show-N-Shine at Lonestar Motorsports Park followed by Test-N-Tune drag racing
Saturday March 21th - Drag Racing at Lonestar Motorsports Park
Sunday March 22nd - 60-130 at Lonestar Motorsports Park

You should come out for nights meet at least, there will be hp cars hw racing some where in Mexico

We'll be there. Thats less than an hour from me. I'm a huge Supra widebody fan.:smile:
If i get the bra it would be on and off for the trips only. I think i know what to do. Thanks Primers

Davidf- It will be in Houston March 18-22. We're coming down as a big group widwesters to meet Dallas guys on wednesday night. From there we hit to Houston

OFFICIAL TX2K9 Dates
<HR style="COLOR: #171a1f" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Thursday March 19th - Road Racing at MSR Houston
Friday March 20th - Dyno Day and Show-N-Shine at Lonestar Motorsports Park followed by Test-N-Tune drag racing
Saturday March 21th - Drag Racing at Lonestar Motorsports Park
Sunday March 22nd - 60-130 at Lonestar Motorsports Park

You should come out for nights meet at least, there will be hp cars hw racing some where in Mexico

not the best protection, but it helps...

Duplicolor SHIELD isn't as protective as a clear-bra application or a clip-on synthetic-bra, but it does protect to a reasonable & respectable degree. If aesthetics aren't of concern while traveling, multiple coats can be applied to increase the protection. Sizable rocks/pebbles/debris will penetrate single-layer applications, but double-layers can weather them relatively well. I've never personally applied more than two layers, but if done correctly & in the right conditions, it's possible & plausibly the protection should be accordingly augmented. . .

Reference:

(currently offered in clear & black, and can be found in gray as well (limited leftover quantities from the past)

Another alternative would be to get a cheap'o heat-gun from Harbor Freight for ~$10'ish (blow-dryer's can work as well, I believe) & left-over roll of vinyl on clearance @ a specialty shop (likely cost will be less than 3-4 rolls of painter's tape or 2 cans of spray-shield bra, etc') & make your own custom 'road-trip'/convoy bra or front-clip shield. I did that quite awhile back when I was w/ a friend & we were trailering his car w/ a hitch on an S.U.V. It's very analogous to how brand-new vehicles are protected while being transported to dealers aboard 18-wheelers or on freight-trains. For less than ~$20, the entire front-clip was covered w/ enough material left-over to do another 2 applications (obviously depends on how much vinyl was purchased). . .

G'luck w/ the trip. Mebbe' us Austinites will coordinate a drive, as the last Sunday of every month, we've set aside for meet-&-greets along w/ a drive to be followed by brunch/lunch/etc'. . .

Last edited:
Re: not the best protection, but it helps...

Does this just wash off?
Duplicolor SHIELD isn't as protective as a clear-bra application or a clip-on synthetic-bra, but it does protect to a reasonable & respectable degree. If aesthetics aren't of concern while traveling, multiple coats can be applied to increase the protection. Sizable rocks/pebbles/debris will penetrate single-layer applications, but double-layers can weather them relatively well. I've never personally applied more than two layers, but if done correctly & in the right conditions, it's possible & plausibly the protection should be accordingly augmented. . .

Reference:

(currently offered in clear & black, and can be found in gray as well (limited leftover quantities from the past)

Another alternative would be to get a cheap'o heat-gun from Harbor Freight for ~$10'ish (blow-dryer's can work as well, I believe) & left-over roll of vinyl on clearance @ a specialty shop (likely cost will be less than 3-4 rolls of painter's tape or 2 cans of spray-shield bra, etc') & make your own custom 'road-trip'/convoy bra or front-clip shield. I did that quite awhile back when I was w/ a friend & we were trailering his car w/ a hitch on an S.U.V. It's very analogous to how brand-new vehicles are protected while being transported to dealers aboard 18-wheelers or on freight-trains. For less than ~$20, the entire front-clip was covered w/ enough material left-over to do another 2 applications (obviously depends on how much vinyl was purchased). . .

G'luck w/ the trip. Mebbe' us Austinites will coordinate a drive, as the last Sunday of every month, we've set aside for meet-&-greets along w/ a drive to be followed by brunch/lunch/etc'. . .

The spray-on stuff I have seen is clear/opaque,and water soluable therefore usless in the rain.It won't protect against rocks or chips,but it is useful against bugs/sap/and small particulates.

If your still thinking of going the tape route i've seen painters tape in other colors than just blue at Sherman Williams and larger type paint stores. I know i've seen it in black and hi-liter green. They also sell it in anything from 1" to 5".

Thanks guys so much, alot of info now i dont know what to do:smile:. I'll run to Sherman Williams later on to see what they have.

I want a whack at the dead horse, too.
While the black electrical tape seems doable (I wouldn't do it:wink:), if you do use it, be sure to go with brand new tape and take it off asap. It breaks down (especially quickly in heat)and the adhesive stays behind. It's a big mess.
Best way to protect your paint is to brick up your garage with the car inside and feather dust it every six months.

Back