Prospective purchase suspension question

Looking at 91 NSX which has a Tein RA suspension. I can't find much on this suspension but it seems that the RA might be a pretty stiff option for street use. My last NSX had the Eibach springs with Bilsteins and I thought it was terrific. I have a dedicated track car so I'm not going to be using this for the track.

Any feedback?

Yes. I have a NSX Type S suspension and it is FANTASTIC!

Good luck.

I had a friend with the RA on his NSX. He complained about the stiffness. He was "getting air" on a particularly fun local mountain road. "Air" is something that one would not want to "get" at speed in an NSX IMO. :cool:

I have driven around with the TEIN-RA on my 1994 NSX on all kinds of roads in numerous countries and I did NOT find it uncomfortable at all.

Car was lowered about 1.25" and I was driving around with the settings on 8 clicks back from full hard. Springs all around were the 10kg/mm springs.

Perhaps our roads are better than those in the U.S., but I have NEVER found the TEIN-RA uncomforable and I loved it on the track.

RA's ... i have no idea comparing with other suspensions ... but mine are great, after them I feel like I drive a "Ferrari" haha, , my stock S2000 suspension was more "firm" than the stock NSX one ... i was amazed how amazing the NSX was, but there was WAY 2 much travel on the stock coilovers ..... now with RA's it feels like a sports car!

Seriously an NSX with more aggressive suspension and better Tires + exhaust is a different animal ... I wish Honda did that way from factory!

Oscar

depends on where you live and where you like to drive. The roads around my town suck and a good number of the mountains roads I drive would be pretty bad. On my Tein RE, which is extremely similar to the RA, it'd cause my car to swing the tail out on MANY occasions or cause the front to chatter and understeer into the corners because of how rough the roads would be. Even driving around, it would jar me pretty good firm, not harsh but still uncomfortable. It made me feel bad for my passenger, whom ever it may be that I wouldnt' want to subject her to it for long road trips. But when the roads were fresh and smooth, it's one super handling beast. This is the perspective of when I was 25 years old or so, it's been ~2 years since and I still won't go back to it. Too rough. Instead, I went to bilstein shocks with oem springs but stuck in MUCH stiffer swaybars. Now it is both faster and handles better on the rough roads because of the softer oem springs. Yet still excels on smooth fresh asphalt because of the stiffer sway bars.

I don't race and I haven't gone to the track yet in the 3 years of ownership, and I found coilovers to be overkill for me.

Last edited:
Back