Prospective Owner

First of all I have to say that NSXPrime.com has to be the best site for an NSX connoisseur ever!

Now onto why I joined this forum.

-PS sorry if this is a little long winded but I want to make sure to get everything out there so that I won't to keep bugging you guys with my posts.

Basically I am looking to purchase and NSX (duh! - yeah I know, please refrain the flaming). Currently I own an '02 Chevy Tahoe which I have no complaints about - except for the freaking gas!!! - Other than that I have been more than satisfied with the car.

I purchased my Hoe (lol....sorry had to chuckle) - in hopes of how do you say "Pimping My Ride" - but not as corny, about 4 years ago and I have never gotten around to modifying it other than putting in a video system consisting of Alpine/Infinity/MTX products i.e. TV's, amps, subs etc. - oh yeah and a Tornado which I must say I really didn't feel a difference in power or mileage. To me, it's just pointless driving around such a huge car without using it for it's purposes. I don't tow anything, I don't have kids, I don't coach a soccer team - I mean, it's a plush ride but I just need something smaller, more personal, more practical, something that I can drive everyday - this is where the NSX comes in.

Well, now after 4 years, I have matured a little more and am in need of something of what I like to call a "practical neck-breaker." And to me, the NSX fits the mold perfectly. I have always loved the timeless design and to plainly admit it - everytime one rolls by me I often have to crack my neck and readjust my spine.

To cut a long story short, I ask the members of this great forum for their advice. Basically I've been searching the posts for my needs and have come short.

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ALL!

My concerns/what I need:

1. I have heard of a buyer's checklist for NSX's but I can't seem to find it, if someone can post the link please, I'd be greatfull.

2. I know a car is only as good as how one takes care of it but does anyone have any recommendations regarding Hard Top vs. T-Top. Besides the usual rigidity, noise, and weight issues.

3. Also does anyone have any recommendations on what years are better for purchasing.

^^^ - Hypothetically speaking if I find a car that has been taken care of properly.

4. What the hell is a "snap ring" car?

5. I live in Virginia Beach, VA - Any NSX owners around here gracious enough to take a look at their cars so that I may formally introduce myself to the beauty - I say this because I have never sat or even gotten within 5 feet of an actual NSX besides at the stop light.

6. If any members can recommend other specific posts that are helpful towards selecting the right car to purchase - I would greatful for the information.

PS - I also own a '91 MR2 Turbo, '97 Civic, and a '91 Sentra with a front drive SR20DET. - Just in case anyone wants to compare the NSX to what I am accustomed to.

THANKS AGAIN! - Sincerely Ken

Kaisen_Z said:
PS - I also own a '91 MR2 Turbo, '97 Civic, and a '91 Sentra with a front drive SR20DET. - Just in case anyone wants to compare the NSX to what I am accustomed to.

I have owned 2 MR2s...a 91 N/A and currently own a 93 N/A. I have never owned an MR2 Turbo, but the feel of the cars is probably about the same. You like the MR2...you will love the NSX. :biggrin:

I bought my 91 NSX from a one owner last year with 26K miles, and all service was done on it. And though I love the car, your luck may vary. If your budget is tight, the maintenance on these cars can be quite expensive.

I have had things go wrong with mine during the time I have had it, brake pads (cracked due to age), ABS system needed bleeding, coolent overflow tank leaking, and now...my clutch tensioner pulley is making noise, so it is being replaced in addition to a new valve cover gasket and a valve adjustment ($900+). My point...age may play as much of a role to the wear of a vehicle as mileage.

Do I love my car...yes! Regrets in spending $35K on a 15 year old...hmmm somedays, but when I get in a take it for a drive, and realize that I have voluntarily put 10x the money in it to make it look/drive/sound better than I have for maintenace, and feel the VTEC kick in, and watch people about drive off the road trying to get a look at my car, it is worth it! :biggrin:

Last edited:
[quote = Kaisen_Z]yeah and a Tornado which I must say I really didn't feel a difference in power or mileage[/quote]

Really? Damn, I thought that plus my aluminium pedals and shift knob would give me 10 more HP :smile:

Anyway, as far as mods are concern the sky is the limit. Unfortunately so is the cost. I'm starting with the H/I/E an that's going to run me around $2300 or so (depending if I get in on this Ztek group buy, but that's another story).

Kaisen_Z said:
2. I know a car is only as good as how one takes care of it but does anyone have any recommendations regarding Hard Top vs. T-Top. Besides the usual rigidity, noise, and weight issues.
Most fixed-roof NSXs will have black tops (which may or may not be a plus depending on your taste). I ended up with a -T mainly because that let me get a newer car, and in a color I preferred. One of these days, I'm going to look into getting a spare roof and having a (fixed) glass panel installed in it.

3. Also does anyone have any recommendations on what years are better for purchasing.
They're all good; there are just tradeoffs of features/age/price, which depend on your personal preferences. See the changes by year page in the FAQ. (As others have said: read the FAQ in general, it has a lot of info.)

My suggestion: don't be in a rush to get an NSX. Figure out what you want in terms of years/colors/mods/etc., and be willing to wait and look around to get one in good condition.

Back