Prospective Owner Question - Squeaks, Rattles, etc. on the NSX?

Other than motocycles, I've never owned a Honda/Acura but thier reputation for reliability is excellent. But, squeaks, rattles, etc. drive me nuts in a vehicle! One of two main reasons I sold my 350z recently. Otherwise a great car.

What's everyones experience with their NSXs in this area? Any specific problem areas and how difficult are they to address?

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but the Search is not working too well with all the site traffic.

Got my eye on a '93 and hoping to hear good feedback on this topic.

Thanks!

I have had My 92 for about three years. No squeaks or rattles from my car not bad for 15 ---- make that 16 year old car. Some things that are common issues are the upper windshield rubber seal shrinks just cosmetic It wont leek, the upper dash where the windshield meats the dash has a tendency to crack and the sun-visors have a tendency to split from age. Often on higher mileage cars the inner bolster on the seat is worn from getting in and out. 93 is out of snap-ring range so that isn’t a concern but you should look for a car that is up to date on its services thing like timing belt water-pump, valves adjustment, coolant hoses and tires can add up quickly so pay accordingly. There are pristine examples out there but it will take some searching and often fetch a premium so finding a good deal on a clean low mileage car will take some time.
GOOD LUCK :smile:

I have had my 91 for about 6 months and one of the things that I have been most impressed with is the lack of squeaks and rattles on a 17 year old car.....very impressive and a real statement as to the build quality of the NSX.

Drifter, been doing my homework, primarily on this site. Appreciate your feedback and checklist.

Great to hear that each of you have had good experiences in this area with the NSX.

Thanks for the replies, been tough to get on the site the last day or so for known reasons. LOL.

I did'nt notice squeaks/rattles until winter hit. I guess cold wheather has that affect on plastic parts. Still theres very few.

Main rattle from my experience is the rear view mirror. Easy and inexpensive fix if this is an issue. Other than that - the car is tight!

i had a few squeaks coming from the dash ...
now it's worse because i have the R suspension.
i don't really care, though.... you can't expect a stiff car to not make noises. :wink:

No squeaks or rattles at all on my '91, with 73K miles including 12K+ actual track miles.

It's possible that squeaks or rattles may be slightly more common on an NSX-T than the coupe. But the '93 you're considering is a coupe.

Hey Rando...the NSX is a HAND-ASSEMBLED car, unlike the 350z. One can definately make comparisons in terms of performance - but I believe that the NSX will destroy other cars in terms of reliability, comfort and construction.

Dam :cool:

Most annoying thing on my 91 is some wind noise from the drivers side window near the mirror. If you have the radio on you won't notice it.

Also the ABS squeeking thing is irritating as well but it only does that when the weather is really cold or I haven't driven it in a while. You can make that go away by exercising the brakes.

The NSX aluminum structure must be responsible for the lack of interior squeaks and rattles. My NSX is a tad under 200,000 kms and NO noises whatsoever. It's one of the first things i tell people riding in an NSX for the first time. Everyone riding in it is impressed with the layout, visibility, and lack of noise inside the cabin of the vehicle. I've owned 13 vehicles and all had squeaks or rattles at much less km's so it has to be build quality as well as materials used that make it so darn quiet. Buy one and you won't regret it my friend!

Other than motocycles, I've never owned a Honda/Acura but thier reputation for reliability is excellent. But, squeaks, rattles, etc. drive me nuts in a vehicle! One of two main reasons I sold my 350z recently. Otherwise a great car.

My 350Z had a ton of squeaks too. My current S4 just picked up a squeak...and it's driving me nuts. I can't figure out where it's coming from, just somewhere behind me.

My NSX makes no noises at all. Yeah, they made these cars good.

My Z had no squeaks @ 40,000 miles but had a rattle behind the radio that drove me nuts. I'm sure the squeaks would eventually shown up. I did like the car though.

It has been a long time since I've been in a NSX coupe. But my T had a small rubbery squeak from the T top. It was easy to fix with Acura's door seal grease. Otherwise the car is very solid. As any T owner knows there is some cowl shake with the top off. But the car you're looking at is a coupe.

If you have driven the prospective car and it doesn't squeak after 14 years - I'd say it isn't going to squeak if you buy it.

The aspirator fan (down near the parking brake handle) is prone to noise as it gets dirty. Some just blow it off with compressed air. I completely dismantled mine but it's still noisy. I will have to remove and adjust the fan. Sometimes I hear a squeak from the passenger seat, but the cure there is to either slow down or tell the person in that seat to stop squeaking :-)

Most annoying thing on my 91 is some wind noise from the drivers side window near the mirror.
Try adjusting the door glass according to the procedure in the body section of the service manual. At one point I had wind noise at high speed, and the adjustment procedure took care of it.

The aspirator fan (down near the parking brake handle) is prone to noise as it gets dirty. Some just blow it off with compressed air. I completely dismantled mine but it's still noisy. I will have to remove and adjust the fan. Sometimes I hear a squeak from the passenger seat, but the cure there is to either slow down or tell the person in that seat to stop squeaking :-)
I had mine replaced. No more noise.

Try adjusting the door glass according to the procedure in the body section of the service manual. At one point I had wind noise at high speed, and the adjustment procedure took care of it.

I had mine replaced. No more noise.
And when you've practiced on your's come up and do mine!
I get a little noise, same place...I assumed it was the old aerodynamics of the morror.

The aspirator fan (down near the parking brake handle) is prone to noise as it gets dirty. Some just blow it off with compressed air.

Oh, yes...I forgot about that. It's not really a squeak, more of a whirring sound. I tried to clean mine with everything, not much luck. I'm taking my dash apart soon at which point I'll try some oil or just looking into ordering a new one from Honda. Thanks for reminding me!

Try adjusting the door glass according to the procedure in the body section of the service manual.

I'll give it a try. :cheers:

And when you've practiced on your's come up and do mine!

I get a little noise, same place...I assumed it was the old aerodynamics of the morror.

Tom, sounds like a road trip. :biggrin:

Back