Prospective Owner NJ

Hi:

My name is Swen and I just recently started my search for an NSX. My daily driver is a 1993 M3 with "tasteful" street mods (Dinan software, intake, exhaust, throttle body; TC Kline suspension and TMS bars). I also have a 1974 Pantera which I have owned since 2003. The Pantera has always been my dream car, and I do 95% of all work on it myself. All "weak" pints of this affordable exotic have been updated. Despite the Pantera being ahead of its time, it is still 1970's technology. Great for a quick adrenaline run, but not the type of car you can drive long distances. In a perfect world, I would keep the Pantera AND buy the NSX. I view the NSX as an "updated Pantera"- mid-engine, perfectly balanced, low to ground, and handling-on-rails- but without the GRUNT of a 5.5L V8 (which I would trade for the reliability and comfort of a more modern car). I recently drove a local 1993 NSX. The car is bone stock (except for wheels), 67K miles, black/black. Owner has at a dealers lot and is asking $26,995. Price appears in line given current market. Clean Carfax with service records. I contacted a local Acura dealer who will do a pre-sale inspection for $110 (dealer agreed, providing I put a refundable deposit down). What should I be looking out for? I understand these cars REALLY SING above 6,000 RPM. Anything that is a "must-do" service item? If I wanted more GRUNT, what are your thoughts on the CompTech supercharger, exhaust, etc? Thanks for your comments.

Swen

Last edited:
Hey Swen,

You've asked a lot of questions that could take one so inclined a lot of typing to respond to. So I'll try and do a short version - lol....that's kind of an inside joke because I tend to write "epistles".

Sounds like it could be a good car - but I'd make sure of the "refundable deposit" and what those conditions are. You mention it comes with service records - like what and how many? How far back? How many owners? Clean carfax - helpful but I wouldn't expect that to tell the whole story. Obviously there are ways to have accidents and them not be reported to someone that Carfax could identify. So that may be a clean car and it may not be as far as accidents are concerned. So a PPI if done well should discover anything like that. A PPI is the best way to identify issues but no one will know if the Timing Belt/water pump have been replaced unless the records show that and that is around 1800 bucks. Then there are the hoses - and there are 21 of them on a manual that need replacement by now in this car as well as the timing belt - it's a time and mileage thing with the belt - in this car it is 90k or 6 years. The water pump is right there with it and should be done at the same time.

There could be clutch issues - that's 2400. Master and slave cylinders at the same time of course. Brakes should be ok - but i'd want to see a flush in there and service to the ABS. I hope that you have a good independant near you cause I don't have a lot of faith in dealers in general to have someone that is particularly knowledgeable about the NSX and that's what you need especially to check out the ABS system - should be fine.

The AC, the stereo, the window regulators are also another area where I would be extremely careful and make sure that checks out - read thru your records carefully.

An SC for the engine - well many here would say do it - others like me prefer a naturally aspirated car for maintenance reasons and engine longevity. Otherwise - go for it.

I would say that the price is fine and I would also tell you to expect about 5k in deffered maintenance that the car will need. But if you find it has no damage to the body and the records are good and it's had good maintenance then the car is cheap at that price and dealers usually know their market. So proceed with caution but it sounds like it could be a good one.

Good luck - just make sure you have a lot of confidence in the mechanic that is doing the ppi!

I also went through the same thinking you are going through. I always wanted a Pantera but ultimatley decided I just did not fit in them with my 6'-2" height. I have an older Mustang which satisfies my musclecar desires. Here is my analogy, the Pantera/Mustang is raw horsepower and the NSX is refined horsepower. I have seen other NSX owners that also have Panteras. Two cars ahead of there time and still highly desirable. You will not be disappointed if you pull the trigger on a NSX like I did. Do your due diligence, be patient, use this website for its wealth of information and have a PPI performed before buying.

Tim and Partsman-

Thanks for the heads-up. I can see from the responses that you guys are very much like our Pantera community. Obviously very passionate. I appreciate the insight. I need to put out another post regarding independent service for NSX in my neck of the woods. I have to line someone up for a PPI. The local Acura dealer was pretty clueless. There's a very good independent in my area that is great with BMW's and Porsches. He advertises "Honda" but when quizzed, I really didn't get a great sense that he "knew NSXs. The prospective buyer of my Pantera probably won't pull the trigger this fall. So we'll see what happens.

Swen

Depending on where you are in NJ, you can have Bridgewater Acura do the PPI (if possible) as the used car sales manager is a member here (The Kid) and he personally has 2 NSX's, a supercharged 92, and a 99 Zinardi. If possible, see if any other local members can come with you who know the car well. If the example is a clean one, and the service is up to date (whether by mileage or time), then you may get a very nice car for a very reasonable price.

Thanks for the lead. I am about 15 miles from Bridgewater- the car in question is in Morristown. VIN#JH4NA1150PT000087.

Swen

Im in Bridgewater and know a little bit about NSX's:wink: Let me know what you need...

Thanks for the input. I am looking to sell my 1974 Pantera. But as we get closer to winter, the chances of selling now get slimmer. I am looking to spend bewtween $25K and $30K on an NSX. From what I've seen, that will limit me to 1991-1995 model years (no NSX-Ts in that range). Color is not a major factor, but red or black is preferred. Looking for stock or tastefully modified. I understand certain things like clutch, water pump should be changed. What other weak points of car (it IS a HONDA so how bad could it get?). Is there a good independent shop in the area that really KNOWS these cars? What's been your experience in the care and feeding of your NSX. I'll have the Pantera out on Sunday- maybe we can hook up?

Swen

Thanks for the lead. I am about 15 miles from Bridgewater- the car in question is in Morristown. VIN#JH4NA1150PT000087.

Swen

Sorry, the car has already been sold to me about a week before this post. It is in beautiful condition, all stock except for the antenna and wheels. Runs great, interior is near flawless. Great example of a low mileage, well maintained, pristine condition NSX. Good luck on your search!

Hi:

My name is Swen and I just recently started my search for an NSX. My daily driver is a 1993 M3 with "tasteful" street mods (Dinan software, intake, exhaust, throttle body; TC Kline suspension and TMS bars). I also have a 1974 Pantera which I have owned since 2003. The Pantera has always been my dream car, and I do 95% of all work on it myself. All "weak" pints of this affordable exotic have been updated. Despite the Pantera being ahead of its time, it is still 1970's technology. Great for a quick adrenaline run, but not the type of car you can drive long distances. In a perfect world, I would keep the Pantera AND buy the NSX. I view the NSX as an "updated Pantera"- mid-engine, perfectly balanced, low to ground, and handling-on-rails- but without the GRUNT of a 5.5L V8 (which I would trade for the reliability and comfort of a more modern car). I recently drove a local 1993 NSX. The car is bone stock (except for wheels), 67K miles, black/black. Owner has at a dealers lot and is asking $26,995. Price appears in line given current market. Clean Carfax with service records. I contacted a local Acura dealer who will do a pre-sale inspection for $110 (dealer agreed, providing I put a refundable deposit down). What should I be looking out for? I understand these cars REALLY SING above 6,000 RPM. Anything that is a "must-do" service item? If I wanted more GRUNT, what are your thoughts on the CompTech supercharger, exhaust, etc? Thanks for your comments.

Swen

Welcome to the forum, I'm from North Jersey too.

There is no such thing as a 1993 M3. Did you mean 1995?

Back