Prospective Owner: Need advice/opinions on this listing. 98 NSX

Hello,

I am in process of selling my s2000 to get the dream car I have always wanted since I was a child. Ive been looking for years for an NSX, specifically 97-01, that would be enticing enough for me to let go of the S2000. I think I found it. I'm just looking for advice and opinions on this specific ad. I know theres only so much you guys can tell me by an Ad, but anything helps. I spoke to the owner over the phone and everything seems good, just wanted your opinions before I make the hour drive to see it. Also sorry if this is in the wrong section.

ad: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3867594646.html

Is this color option really that rare? Anything I need to specifically look for when I see it? Fair price? Thank you for your time.

Looks nice, but way overpriced IMO. Considering the mileage i'd say between 45k and 50k would be a fair price depending on how perfect the rest of the car is and whether the timing belt/water pump has been done recently.

also here's a chart of production numbers in the USA
http://nsxprime.com/w/images/6/62/NSXCHARTJPEG.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Vivanshah, 50K would definitely be a better deal. I figured the seller is factoring more-so the rarity of the color combo.

Here's a trimmed down version of the production numbers focusing on 1997-2005

nsxproductionna2.gif

While the seller is technically correct to state that his car is 1 of 5 to be built in black/tan ~ that is a little misleading as there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between 97-2001 in which there were 51 manual black/tan NSX's built. In other words, if you are looking for the 6spd, 320HP targa in that color combo you have about 50 cars to choose from. Also keep in mind that the 97+ upgrades are largely non-cosmetic and most people won't know. For example, my car is 1 of 19 and has the neat aspect of being production #2, but really you wouldn't know that unless (a) you were a complete NSXPrime junky (b) I told you. So it isn't like an Imola where the blatant color shouts out at you RARE!

A good clean low mileage 1997-2001 car though is hard to find so I wouldn't be surprised to see this car go quickly. Would also help to know if it is a one owner car or if it has been around the block a bit. A mechanical inspection may provide insight that will make the price fluctuate $3-5,000. All of this assumes that the seller is willing to deal. He/She may be happy to sit on the car and wait until someone hits his asking price.

If this *is* the exact car you are looking for (black/tan, 6spd, popups, etc), don't let a few thousand here or there stop you from several years of fun ownership. With only 50 to choose from, getting a "deal" is much less important than getting a good solid car.

berlina /tan combo is more rare across all years.......depends on how much more you want to pay vs a berlina/ black. stock hp is 290.He claims to have 225/45/16 front tires which may rub fender/wheel well as they are too tall,depends on susp height.

Last edited:
Every seller will say their cars is rare. Buy what you like or want. Don't pay for this "rare" thing if it's not what you want.

Just because Honda didn't make many black/tan cars in 1998 doesn't mean this combo is valuable. It think that car is massively overpriced. The license plate shows the owner is at least a bit too proud of himself. I don't think NSX prices have moved much in the last five years all things considered. I bought my 1997 with 23K miles on it in 2006 for $43K. Mine had the OEM 16/17 wheels like this one. Red/tan. And a real cold air intake. That car has a K&N filter, not a cold air intake since it breathes hot air in the engine compartment.

Thank you very much for the advice everybody. I will keep all these factors in mind. Yeah the "rare" statement is not what caught my eye. Its mainly cuz Ive been wanting a 97-01 for years and this one looks very clean. Also its close considering how I was willing to fly to another state to get an NSX.

Again I appreciate the advice. This is helpful even if I do not buy this particular NSX.

Thanks Vivanshah, 50K would definitely be a better deal. I figured the seller is factoring more-so the rarity of the color combo.

i wouldn't say rarity is a real factor. 50k would be fair if the car was 100% up to date on maintenance and 100% pristine, imo.

Thank you again. By the way, I may be checking out an NSX in person next week. Is there anything specific about the NSX that I should look out for in particular? Will be a year 2000 model. Not sure if there is something I should specifically look out for.

Make sure that the VIN sticker is on every panel of the car. Otherwise, the panel has been replaced for whatever reason...

Thank you again. By the way, I may be checking out an NSX in person next week. Is there anything specific about the NSX that I should look out for in particular? Will be a year 2000 model. Not sure if there is something I should specifically look out for.

don't believe 98 has vin stickers

2000 and up i believe, the one he's looking at is a 2000. OP, also check all panel bolts to make sure they have factory paint on them. there are 2 on either side of the trunk where the lid meets the rear quarter panels. if they're rusted, the panel was replaced.

Great idea on checking panel bolts to c if panel been removed but is not a sure thing. A good painter will paint nsx Panels off the car and bolt it back on and then touch up bolts. You will not be able to detect paint work unless you know what to look for such as fish eyes or small dust spot caught in paint. If paint work is a concern, i would get yourself a Paint Gun (micro paint meter) and meter up the car. Make sure you buy one that works on allum.. and steel. NSX paint thickness is a little higher than your everyday cars and reading should read somewhere 5.5-7.5 all around. Good luck

2000 and up i believe, the one he's looking at is a 2000. OP, also check all panel bolts to make sure they have factory paint on them. there are 2 on either side of the trunk where the lid meets the rear quarter panels. if they're rusted, the panel was replaced.

Thanks everybody! Picked up a silver one this morning. Year 2000. 43K miles. Owner had it since 2003, really feels like a one owner car since he took such good care of it. All VIN stickers are matching and I did check the wiki. I even printed out that NSX prime wiki checklist they had available. You guys/this board is very helpful and I appreciate it very much. Will try to take some pics over the weekend, but its stock so nothing fancy.

Did have one question though, the passenger side, under the glovebox is missing the cover for the OBD2 port. Been searching for hours and can't seem to find a part number for this simple piece. With the cover missing, it has like residue of the adhesive from before, kindve bothers me considering the price and value of this car.

This is a common, simple issue. It's almost impossible to remove this without breaking one of the tiny plastic tabs that hold it in place. Mine is double face taped in place right now. Not sure about how to find a replacement.

How about some pix of your new NSX.

Thanks everybody! Picked up a silver one this morning. Year 2000. 43K miles. Owner had it since 2003, really feels like a one owner car since he took such good care of it. All VIN stickers are matching and I did check the wiki. I even printed out that NSX prime wiki checklist they had available. You guys/this board is very helpful and I appreciate it very much. Will try to take some pics over the weekend, but its stock so nothing fancy.

Did have one question though, the passenger side, under the glovebox is missing the cover for the OBD2 port. Been searching for hours and can't seem to find a part number for this simple piece. With the cover missing, it has like residue of the adhesive from before, kindve bothers me considering the price and value of this car.

As for pics; I took this one while getting it smogged. I like it because its such good timing. The smog guy looks baddass even though it was a candid shot. Like "Damn right this an NSX".
972298_641543612546404_1051233880_n.jpg

No other pics unfortunately LOL. I work a lot so I'm just going to wait until the weekend to find a nice spot and get some good shots with my DSLR. I actually bought it from this guy though: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/174250-2000-NSX-T-JH4NA2160YT000123-43-5xx-miles . The contrast of his photos makes it look like he used instagram for his also haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Also thank you very much for the part numbers. You guys are very helpful compared to the other forums for the cars I had before. Thanks Cstriker; it looks like 77392-SL0-T01ZA for $182 -> 137 (after discount) is really the whole lower lid assembly. Thank god its not 137 for just that cover.

So yes I think vivanshah is right -
90666-SD4-003 Clip and 77394-SL0-T00ZC Cover is all I will need. already ordered. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back