Prospective Owner here

Hey guys! First off I'd like to say thanks for all the informative posts on this forum. I've been lurking for the past month or so, and actually signed up for this forum about a week or 2 ago.

I've been looking around for a new car for a while now, and my buddies recent acquisition of a Dodge Viper has inspired me to acquire a vehicle of similar "hottness." The truth is that I've lived the past few years thinking that cars like these were simply out of reach to all but the super rich. My buddy getting his Viper kind of opened up my eyes to the idea that owning a hot car is not completely our of reach. ANyway...enough background adn on to my real question...

I'm def not rich so maybe owning one of these may be outta my league, but I'd like to get input from owners of these cars... I've seen many NSX's with higher mileage, around 80K+ and some with med milage(for me ~40-50K). Now normally it seems insane to pay $30-35K for a 91-91 with 40K miles (approx.) but I've come to realize from reading these forums that even at higher mileage these are still fairly reliable cars. So my question... is 80K miles unreasonable for these cars? Should I stay away from higher mileage? I know about the snap ring issue and that I've taken into consideration already.

Also...I was looking to spend in the vicinity of $30K for one, what kind/condition should I expect to get? years/mileage? I've spent a good amount of time on cars.com (I will not go ebay at all) and have found what seem like ok deals, but the best deals I've found seem to be in this forum.

OK...sorry for the rambling guys! I jsut wanted to try to get in a few questions. Obviously english/writing is not my strong suit so if none of this makes sense please let me know and I'll try to write something that makes more sense.

thanks

/chunky

Thanks for the reply NsXMas! I've looked into it and it seems that even with a little bit higher mileage(by higher I'm thinking in the 60k-70k+ for a 92-ish) I'd be good to go as long as it was taken care of,w hich seems ot be the case with most cars anyway.

I was wondering if there were any owners in the area who might be willing to meet up with me, so I can take a closer look at their car. I've seen them in pictures and on the road, but have never seen one up close before and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to do so. I am located in Northern Virginia, Alexandria area.

thanks guys!

/chunky

post in the forum for you're area, or do an autotrader search for a car for sale near you.

you'll find somthing.

just keep an eye out, got to check and check back often, I used to look and see all of the good deals were sold already which is upsetting and you think that no new ads will be posted for a while. I found a nice deal that had just been posted, I waited around a few days (working on funding and getting serious) and after the weekend it had already been sold,, that same day I found a new ad on cars.com and went and jumped on it , it had just been placed that weekend and I bought it on monday. And it was a way better deal than the other car.. Its been 2 days now that ive had it and belive me, once u go NSX you are NSX for life! I had been browsing ebay and autotrader for over a year before I was ready to buy, its great to do that, you learn what you can get for what $$ youve got and when u spot a good deal you know it instantly.

driftchicken said:
Hey guys! First off I'd like to say thanks for all the informative posts on this forum. I've been lurking for the past month or so, and actually signed up for this forum about a week or 2 ago.

I've been looking around for a new car for a while now, and my buddies recent acquisition of a Dodge Viper has inspired me to acquire a vehicle of similar "hottness." The truth is that I've lived the past few years thinking that cars like these were simply out of reach to all but the super rich. My buddy getting his Viper kind of opened up my eyes to the idea that owning a hot car is not completely our of reach. ANyway...enough background adn on to my real question...

I'm def not rich so maybe owning one of these may be outta my league, but I'd like to get input from owners of these cars... I've seen many NSX's with higher mileage, around 80K+ and some with med milage(for me ~40-50K). Now normally it seems insane to pay $30-35K for a 91-91 with 40K miles (approx.) but I've come to realize from reading these forums that even at higher mileage these are still fairly reliable cars. So my question... is 80K miles unreasonable for these cars? Should I stay away from higher mileage? I know about the snap ring issue and that I've taken into consideration already.

Also...I was looking to spend in the vicinity of $30K for one, what kind/condition should I expect to get? years/mileage? I've spent a good amount of time on cars.com (I will not go ebay at all) and have found what seem like ok deals, but the best deals I've found seem to be in this forum.

OK...sorry for the rambling guys! I jsut wanted to try to get in a few questions. Obviously english/writing is not my strong suit so if none of this makes sense please let me know and I'll try to write something that makes more sense.

thanks

/chunky

Chunky,

You certainly don't have to be rich to own a nice car, but that does always help. :)

I recently purchased a 91, and you can follow my experience and opinions via these links:

My thoughts on my price, etc:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=468077#post468077

Photos:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53033

Driving experience:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=459798#post459798

Good luck in your search; if you keep at it you will find a sweet ride..

-Jeremy

Back