Prospective NSX owner

I currently own an 06 Subaru STi and have been seriously considering switching to an NSX. One of the main reasons I bought an STi was that I wanted a quick car with the ability to actually carry people and items but since then I've purchased another vehicle to daily drive and such and don't need the convenience of the STi anymore. I've always loved the NSX and I think it's the most exotic perfomance vehicle available under $100,000. I'm torn because I really do love my STi and performance wise it's hard to find another car in the same price range with the same kind of performance.

So I wanted to ask if any of you out there had any similar dilemnas and if you would be kind enough to share how you came to the conclusion of purchasing an NSX.

Also I'm looking at this currently

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...smission=&max_price=&cardist=8&standard=false

It's a 98 NSX in formula red
VIN is JH4NA2167WT000066
and it has close to 107,000 miles
I'm not too familiar with the life expectancy of these vehicles and how expensive maintenance can be at this mileage but any comments would be greatly apprecaited (And yes, as soon as i finish this post i will seach the forums for more information). Thank you ahead of time.

If I were you, I wouldn't finish reading this response, but rather head down to that Acura dealership with your checkbook.

In reviewing the carfax, it appears as though this NSX has been very carefully maintained and has documentation of this (64 service records). I have never seen a carfax with 64 service records??? These cars are very predictable as to what wears out or fails. It appears that this car has had 30k, 60k and 90k services done right on the numbers (actually ahead of schedule on the 90k) and has had clutch/slave cylinders R/R. The big items are covered at 90k and it appears that this has been done. Only thing I'd be concerned about is clutch itself. Get that checked out - or negotiate a replacement by dealer.

As far as longevity, search the forum and you'll see that these cars, properly maintained are good for 300 - 500k miles or more.

Good luck!!!

Your biggest dilema will be the loss of two seats:wink:

If I were you, I wouldn't finish reading this response, but rather head down to that Acura dealership with your checkbook.

In reviewing the carfax, it appears as though this NSX has been very carefully maintained and has documentation of this (64 service records). I have never seen a carfax with 64 service records??? These cars are very predictable as to what wears out or fails. It appears that this car has had 30k, 60k and 90k services done right on the numbers (actually ahead of schedule on the 90k) and has had clutch/slave cylinders R/R. The big items are covered at 90k and it appears that this has been done. Only thing I'd be concerned about is clutch itself. Get that checked out - or negotiate a replacement by dealer.

As far as longevity, search the forum and you'll see that these cars, properly maintained are good for 300 - 500k miles or more.

Good luck!!!

Wow, thanks for the quick response, I've seen the car in person and it's pretty much flawless. I appreciate all the information! This might be the car to persuade me to make the switch.

Wow, I have never seen service history like that show up on carfax. Some of the intervals have me wondering... why they was service performed a month apart on several occasions? Does the dealer have the records you can look at?

It does appear to be a very good deal. I would drive the car and do a couple of accelleration runs in 3rd gear at low speed to see if the clutch slips.

Good Luck!

Listen to 99NCNSX - he's pegged this one. With all that documentation it sounds like a steal. So the clutch is a biggy - if you have to replace the flywheel then it'll be about 4.5k at least. Still if everything else checks out then I'd say you have found a winner. If the clutch is sound and has been replaced as I suspect then buy it! You won't regret it but to be safe I'd have an independant shop that knows NSXs perform a ppi unless you get all the records and someone at the shop where the work was done can vouch for it.

You've done well for a new to the NSX guy.

What a price, damn .. I HATE NA2's that cheap :( ... oh well, BUY IT FAST! then make it faster, removing the extra weight and treating good that NSX will make much faster than your current ride! :)

Oscar

I currently own an 06 Subaru STi and have been seriously considering switching to an NSX. One of the main reasons I bought an STi was that I wanted a quick car with the ability to actually carry people and items but since then I've purchased another vehicle to daily drive and such and don't need the convenience of the STi anymore. I've always loved the NSX and I think it's the most exotic perfomance vehicle available under $100,000. I'm torn because I really do love my STi and performance wise it's hard to find another car in the same price range with the same kind of performance.

So I wanted to ask if any of you out there had any similar dilemnas and if you would be kind enough to share how you came to the conclusion of purchasing an NSX.

Also I'm looking at this currently

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...smission=&max_price=&cardist=8&standard=false

It's a 98 NSX in formula red
VIN is JH4NA2167WT000066
and it has close to 107,000 miles
I'm not too familiar with the life expectancy of these vehicles and how expensive maintenance can be at this mileage but any comments would be greatly apprecaited (And yes, as soon as i finish this post i will seach the forums for more information). Thank you ahead of time.

629, I think you are on to something here. While I am not the most knowledgeable on price, like others who are hot on Honda prices of all years, good records and care of the car definitely works to your advantage. A pre-purchase inspection by a qualified NSX guy is highly recommended. As for mileage, I'd not worry too much about that. Do you plan to use as a daily driver and how many miles per year on average do you think you will drive?

As for your "dilemnas" question, my 96 has 25,000 miles and driven 2,500 miles this past year. So 10 years from now (if I get in an out of the car by then) would yield a car with 50,000 miles. One could argue, buying the car your looking at could have saved me money and have the 3.2 6 speed and maybe just as good a car. Well I was looking for more of a virgin car. Good luck in your search and purchase....

Last edited:
I've never seen a CARFAX with so many records!
All things considered a good deal, if you can get any closer to 30k, GREAT deal!!
Just get it!

629, I think you are on to something here. While I am not the most knowledgeable on price, like others who are hot on Honda prices of all years, good records and care of the car definitely works to your advantage. A pre-purchase inspection by a qualified NSX guy is highly recommended. As for mileage, I'd not worry too much about that. Do you plan to use as a daily driver and how many miles per year on average do you think you will drive?

As for your "dilemnas" question, my 96 has 25,000 miles and driven 2,500 miles this past year. So 10 years from now (if I get in an out of the car by then) would yield a car with 50,000 miles. One could argue, buying the car your looking at could have saved me money and have the 3.2 6 speed and maybe just as good a car. Well I was looking for more of a virgin car. Good luck in your search and purchase....

I appreciate the info, I plan on only driving it on the weekends maybe 4,000 miles a year? I'm sure any car can be kept alive for 100k+ miles but I was more worried about maintenance costs at such high mileage.

I appreciate the info, I plan on only driving it on the weekends maybe 4,000 miles a year? I'm sure any car can be kept alive for 100k+ miles but I was more worried about maintenance costs at such high mileage.

Almost 2 years, I don't DD my car @ all, in fact, I work from home, yet, I managed to put 16K miles, and FINALLY something broke, actually, 2 things broke:

• transmission slave cylinder started leaking a bit, fixed $270,

• rear axle broke, well, still on the car, still drivable, but is dangerous and not fixable, so, I am waiting on the axle to arrive and send to the mechanic to replace, with good networking I will spend $500 on that, which makes my total for not expected expenses in 16 K miles (or 2 years) $770.

Normal wear:

• Tires, I went trough a set already (back) and have some 5-6K left on the ones now.

• Oil changes, I do every 5K miles, Royal purple

• Break Pads, I am on my second set on back (red stuff), fronts still the same I installed right after I bought the car (60K miles)

As soon my car reaches 80K I will flush all fluids as prevention (done @ 60K miles).

I drive not like a "maniac" but I like to enjoy this car a lot, went to a mile run, did 153 on a mile :) etc etc

• Expenses on looks, well, that can get expensive and I don't want to even think about it! :D I get mad actually, but then, I look at the car, and I fall in love even more, leave alone the AMAZING people I have meet lately on prime etc!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Almost 2 years, I don't DD my car @ all, in fact, I work from home, yet, I managed to put 16K miles, and FINALLY something broke, actually, 2 things broke:

• transmission slave cylinder started leaking a bit, fixed $270,

• rear axle broke, well, still on the car, still drivable, but is dangerous and not fixable, so, I am waiting on the axle to arrive and send to the mechanic to replace, with good networking I will spend $500 on that, which makes my total for not expected expenses in 16 K miles (or 2 years) $770.

Normal wear:

• Tires, I went trough a set already (back) and have some 5-6K left on the ones now.

• Oil changes, I do every 5K miles, Royal purple

• Break Pads, I am on my second set on back (red stuff), fronts still the same I installed right after I bought the car (60K miles)

As soon my car reaches 80K I will flush all fluids as prevention (done @ 60K miles).

I drive not like a "maniac" but I like to enjoy this car a lot, went to a mile run, did 153 on a mile :) etc etc

• Expenses on looks, well, that can get expensive and I don't want to even think about it! :D I get mad actually, but then, I look at the car, and I fall in love even more, leave alone the AMAZING people I have meet lately on prime etc!

Good luck!

Oscar, thanks for the info! Sounds like a lot of maintenance has been done to this car already but I think a inspection might be a good idea so im 100% what im getting myself in to. Your car is gorgeous by the way. You have an album anywhere? Are those the OEM wheels?

Last edited:
Oscar, thanks for the info! Sounds like a lot of maintenance has been done to this car already but I think a inspection might be a good idea so im 100% what im getting myself in to. Your car is gorgeous by the way. You have an album anywhere? Are those the OEM wheels?

Yeah those are the updated OEM wheels. They're wonderful.

Thanks sir, I made a lot of cosmetic updates to bring mine to the 21th century w/o been tacky ..

here stock

3.jpg

here stock 16-17's on Gunmetal
8.jpg

then I moved to 02+
na2_8.jpg

I still have the 16-17's set ,,,, I just need rear tires and I think I'll rock them back sometime :)

here are some pics: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1263476&postcount=72

One thing I can guarantee you is that if that NSX in question is a "healthy" car, you will NEVER regret getting in it! :)

So what's happnin with the car 629? What's the next step - where are you in this deal? We need an update.

Now - Oscar - your car - man - it looks nice - the spoiler, the lowering, the wheels - I like the last pic - the rear wing & front lip - great looking man! What have you done to the suspension? Are you riding on coil overs? That's what I'm thinking - I have a wish list - V3s and JDM gears....that's about another 4k......ohhhhh boy! Which one first - that's my delima.

See 629 - your going to find that once the maintenance is brought up (and it will stay up for a long time) then it's mod time......yeah. So get ready - of course you don't have to......:wink:

So what's happnin with the car 629? What's the next step - where are you in this deal? We need an update.

Now - Oscar - your car - man - it looks nice - the spoiler, the lowering, the wheels - I like the last pic - the rear wing & front lip - great looking man! What have you done to the suspension? Are you riding on coil overs? That's what I'm thinking - I have a wish list - V3s and JDM gears....that's about another 4k......ohhhhh boy! Which one first - that's my delima.

See 629 - your going to find that once the maintenance is brought up (and it will stay up for a long time) then it's mod time......yeah. So get ready - of course you don't have to......:wink:

Well i decided that I will make the switch to an NSX. Especially after seeing Oscars car, theres no way my STi will ever look that sexy.

I was actually out of town this past week on business so we'll see what happens this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted. And again thanks for the comments and info, I can tell NSX prime is a friendly group of people.

You won't regret it! Just be prepared for tons of "neck breaking". Everytime I drive my '92 (Friday-Sunday), I find it amazing that a lot of people do double-takes and/or point at my car which is over 18 years young. Glad I bought mine a year ago =']

Definitely hit up local and near-by NSX car meets, and don't forget to donate. Prime is a very useful tool, and the members are awesome.

Well i decided that I will make the switch to an NSX. Especially after seeing Oscars car, theres no way my STi will ever look that sexy.

I was actually out of town this past week on business so we'll see what happens this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted. And again thanks for the comments and info, I can tell NSX prime is a friendly group of people.

Haha I was looking at STIs for a while because AWD boosted sedans are appealing (great track car too). But as soon as I buy one I'd be looking at an nsx the next day (another incredible track car). I went and checked one out today. As soon as I pulled into the lot I spotted it all the way across the lot between some cars. It's love at first sight no matter what NSX you see!

Everyone here is willing to help. We're all in this together. There's no competition here.

Back