Prospective Buyer

Hello everyone! My name is Ryan and I am a newcomer to this forum. I have been in love with the NSX ever since it was introduced. After graduating from college and working for 4 years my dreams of owning my dream-car might soon become a reality.I am getting married in October so my fiance is making me wait until after the wedding :mad: I figure I would start doing research on the NSX and this website is an excellent source of info. Everyone here seems pretty knowledgable and helpful which is good to know. I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone.

I had a couple of questions if anyone out there could help me out.

(1) Originally I was set on looking for a '97-up, but recently I have seen some pre-'97's NSX's for considerably less. I was curious if I should should start looking for a pre-97 NSX and with the extra $$$ purchase some mods (i.e. - Comptech Supercharger). I know it depends on the mileage and condition, but just a thought.

(2) Last month I took a look at a 1999 Monte Carlo Blue NSX-T located in Stockton, CA which only had 36000 miles. It was raining that day so I couldn't give it a thorough inspection, but the exterior of the car seemed to be in good shape. The motor also was pretty clean. However, the trunk took some effort to close. I had to practically slam it hard for it to shut. Does anyone know anything about this car? Unfortunately I don't have the VIN #, but here's a link to some pictures of the car.

http://www.01technologies.com/nsx.html

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this long post and I look forward to chatting with all of you!

ryan1926 said:
Originally I was set on looking for a '97-up, but recently I have seen some pre-'97's NSX's for considerably less. I was curious if I should should start looking for a pre-97 NSX and with the extra $$$ purchase some mods (i.e. - Comptech Supercharger). I know it depends on the mileage and condition, but just a thought.

I would suggest that you get whichever one you want, but that you wait a while and live with it for six months or more before you start doing mods to it. I'm sure you'll find that you love the car, even bone stock, while you're doing this. Once you get to know the car, you may find that you don't want to change anything at all; or, you may find that you want to change things other than the ones you thought about doing before you got the car. Also, it gives you the financial flexibility such that you have extra time to save up for those mods. Four years out of college, you probably have some other needs for your finances (college loans, a downpayment on a house, etc) that you might want to consider more important than mods to a car. In fact, this might be a good reason to go for a pre-97 NSX rather than spend the extra for the later year model.

You're probably aware of it, but there are basically four NSX models:

'91-94 NSX Coupe - great rigidity, very light, low price
'95-96 NSX-T - top-down motoring
'97-03 NSX-T - top-down motoring, extra horses and six-speed make up for heavier weight of the NSX-T
'97-01 NSX Coupe (very rare) - great rigidity, very light, extra horses and six-speed, all make it the highest performance NSX

You'll typically pay ~$8K more for an NSX-T ('95-96) than a similar NSX Coupe ('91-94), and another ~$8K more for a '97+ model over a '95-96. You'll have to decide whether those price jumps are worth it, but an early coupe in nice condition might be a good way to save some money for those other needs.

ryan1926 said:
the trunk took some effort to close. I had to practically slam it hard for it to shut.

That's because you weren't shutting it the proper way. The body panels on the NSX are very stiff, so the seals are solid and tight. The proper way to shut the trunk is to lower it, and gently press down on the center rear part of the lid (NOT THE SPOILER) which is just above the latch, with increasing pressure until it latches. Don't try slamming it!

Thanks for the info!!! I had a feeling that the lady showing me the car was closing the trunk wrong, but she insisted that was how to close the trunk. The owner was out of town so he got one of his employees to show the car. I thought that maybe the car had been in an accident or something because the trunk wouldn't close. Also, the pictures posted on the website must have been old because when I went to take a look at it (1) the dealer plates had been changed and (2) the front spoiler was present.

Point well taken with regards to holding off on the mods. I guess the extra money could be better spent paying off some of the wedding bills!

1. you never want to close the trunk using the spoiler.... this will definitely crack the spoiler if enough force is used.
2. you close the trunk lightly, then gently using the palm of both hands to press down on the drun (no on the spoiler) and push down to close the trunk.

atleast thats what i did when i had my 98-t

Back