Prospective buyer VIN#jh4na1265mt001934

Hi,

New to Prime. I fell in love with the NSX back when I accompanied my parents to the local Acura dealer in the mid-90s and saw this beautiful car behind a roped off area with a large sign that read "DO NOT TOUCH." We didn't and ended up with an Acura Legend.

I am currently in the market for a NSX with automatic transmission and came across this car on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-NSX-B...c89c95342&item=191290233666&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Does anyone know anything about this car? The reserve is hidden and I am not sure what is a fair amount to bid. Ideally, I'd like a lower mileage and a passenger airbag, but I am awfully tempted because I live in Phoenix. Sadly, I am currently out of town.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

should be able to get it for decent price as automatics are not as highly sought as manuals...looks like a good score on autocheck, but be sure to get a PPI done by certified NSX tech.

Is automatic your only choice? You'll be much happier with a gear box in this type of car......

The reserve is hidden and I am not sure what is a fair amount to bid.

The reserve on this car is likely to be between $20-25k. Nothing jumps out as odd with the car. As mentioned, the mileage and more importantly automatic transmission should allow you to negotiate price a bit. Be sure to get a solid PPI on the car and ask for as much maintenance history as possible.

Good luck!

is it me or where those pics taken at dusk...:confused:

The car was owned by an Ophthalmologist since 1993 in Miami. The only thing that I would wonder about is why it was purchased and shipped to arizona for only 5 months before being sold there.

should be able to get it for decent price as automatics are not as highly sought as manuals...looks like a good score on autocheck, but be sure to get a PPI done by certified NSX tech.

Is automatic your only choice? You'll be much happier with a gear box in this type of car......

Thanks man, good to know. Yeah, I am looking for an automatic because I don't have experience with manuals (unless you count goofing around with paddle shifters). I figure I get an automatic for now and upgrade to manual later.

Thanks man, good to know. Yeah, I am looking for an automatic because I don't have experience with manuals (unless you count goofing around with paddle shifters). I figure I get an automatic for now and upgrade to manual later.
If you're thinking of a conversion the bad idea and pretty much not an option unless you want to blow a ton of money.

if you're thinking selling the Auto and buying a manual then sure, why not.

Thanks everyone, I am trying to learn as much as I can. Appreciate the help.

The reserve on this car is likely to be between $20-25k. Nothing jumps out as odd with the car. As mentioned, the mileage and more importantly automatic transmission should allow you to negotiate price a bit. Be sure to get a solid PPI on the car and ask for as much maintenance history as possible.

Good luck!

Thank you! That amount is doable.

is it me or where those pics taken at dusk...:confused:

Dusk is pretty epic here, but the seller didn't really capture it in film.

The car was owned by an Ophthalmologist since 1993 in Miami. The only thing that I would wonder about is why it was purchased and shipped to arizona for only 5 months before being sold there.

That is quite puzzling. People usually flip houses in Arizona, not cars.

If you're thinking of a conversion the bad idea and pretty much not an option unless you want to blow a ton of money.

if you're thinking selling the Auto and buying a manual then sure, why not.

Cool, I was thinking the latter.

Seller claims it "looks and drives like new" yet has a seat bolster that's quit worn. Sure, he casually mentions it, but IMO he's putting the car on a higher pedestal than it really deserves. Hard to tell, but the shifter looks worn too. Plus, with the low quality dark pictures, who knows what other flaws there are. I'd pass unless you could somehow see it or have someone check it out for you first.

Last edited:
Manual Transmission isn't that hard to learn and the NSX is a tough car. And depending on the mileage and care, it has a tough clutch. The first car my son got to drive was my NSX and he only stalled it a few times and didn't burn the clutch at all. Of course, I told him that once I smell the clutch, the ride was over. No pressure LOL. So he was extra careful and did just fine. He drives my S2000 with no problems. You could find a friend or relative with a manual car to teach you and in only a few hours you'll be in good shape. Though I'm not against your plan, I just think that you will enjoy the manual tranny much more. And, automatic NSXs are harder to sell. Look at it this way, buying an NSX is an adventure as everyone on this forum will attest. Why not go into the adventure with both feet and three petals. You'll have the satisfaction of owning a very special car set for the way it was meant to be driven and have learned a valuable new driving skill with other new skills on the horizon as your confidence grows. Hell, even the best of us will miss a shift or stall it once in a while. That's why it's a driving "skill". Either choice you make has to be what's best for you. And the auto NSX is still a great, fun car to be proud of. Even the great Ayrton Senna drove an automatic NSX on occasion. I just wanted to show the other possibility. Good luck in your search and once you buy that NSX, post pictures or it never happened.

Last edited:
How long are you going to be out of town? There are quite a few of us AZ members who could potentially look at the car for you in Maricopa. It's kind of short notice though with the auction ending in just 3 days. Looks like a decent car. Squeaky clean AutoCheck too (not that it necessarily means anything). Keep us posted!

Thanks again everyone!

Seller claims it "looks and drives like new" yet has a seat bolster that's quit worn. Sure, he casually mentions it, but IMO he's putting the car on a higher pedestal than it really deserves. Hard to tell, but the shifter looks worn too. Plus, with the low quality dark pictures, who knows what other flaws there are. I'd pass unless you could somehow see it or have someone check it out for you first.

Thanks. Good eye, I didn't even notice that at first. I will definitely have to keep that in mind.

Manual Transmission isn't that hard to learn and the NSX is a tough car. And depending on the mileage and care, it has a tough clutch. The first car my son got to drive was my NSX and he only stalled it a few times and didn't burn the clutch at all. Of course, I told him that once I smell the clutch, the ride was over. No pressure LOL. So he was extra careful and did just fine. He drives my S2000 with no problems. You could find a friend or relative with a manual car to teach you and in only a few hours you'll be in good shape. Though I'm not against your plan, I just think that you will enjoy the manual tranny much more. And, automatic NSXs are harder to sell. Look at it this way, buying an NSX is an adventure as everyone on this forum will attest. Why not go into the adventure with both feet and three petals. You'll have the satisfaction of owning a very special car set for the way it was meant to be driven and have learned a valuable new driving skill with other new skills on the horizon as your confidence grows. Hell, even the best of us will miss a shift or stall it once in a while. That's why it's a driving "skill". Either choice you make has to be what's best for you. And the auto NSX is still a great, fun car to be proud of. Even the great Ayrton Senna drove an automatic NSX on occasion. I just wanted to show the other possibility. Good luck in your search and once you buy that NSX, post pictures or it never happened.

Thank you, Lostbuckeye. I appreciate your perspective and you make some really good points. Haha, I wish my dad would have let me drive his S2000 back in the day. I recently moved out to Phoenix with the spouse for a job and we don't really know anyone out here. I made some calls to some local driving schools and found one that would be willing to teach. I get to be a teenager all over again. I will have to report back after my lesson in a couple of weeks. It is always good to keep my options open.

How long are you going to be out of town? There are quite a few of us AZ members who could potentially look at the car for you in Maricopa. It's kind of short notice though with the auction ending in just 3 days. Looks like a decent car. Squeaky clean AutoCheck too (not that it necessarily means anything). Keep us posted!

Wow, that would be awesome! I am out until Sunday (darn out of state weddings...)

Sadly, I am going to pass on this one. I got in touch with the seller and he wants more than I am willing to pay. The car is also cross posted to craigslist.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4604484863.html

Back to the search, I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks again.

definitely keep in touch with that seller, if the car is nice. There's no way he'll get 37.5k for that car. Even $25k would be tough imo.

I agree with your choice to pass Nchan. 37.5k is way too much IMO for it's condition, transmission and mileage. If you really like it though, keep an eye on it as the price may come down to earth.

Back