Prospective Buyer Looking for Advice

ike

Hi Alll,

I've always wanted a NSX and am thinking more seriously now about getting one. I have looked over many of the posts here and found some very valueable information on things to look for when buying an NSX, but have a couple of questions that I hope you all can help with.

1. Have read about "Honda reliablity" as a virtue of this car, but have noticed that many of the cars have had timing belts, water pumps, hoses,.. etc. replaced well before what the service manual indicates. Is this just owners being cautious or do these parts really fail early?

2. Is there any advantage to getting a late 90's car with the 3.2L and targa or are the earlier models a better value?

Appreciate any advice you can provide. Thanks.

I don't know the exact service internal of the timing belt & water pump service, but its along the lines of 75,000 miles OR 7 years. I don't think too many people do this significantly earlier than recommended since it is pricey at around $1,200-$1,500. I think most people just focus on the 75,000 miles and over look the 7 years part. If your belt fails it will likely cause engine damage which is extremely expensive with the NSX.

As for value, the earlier cars are cheaper, the later cars are faster, extra 20HP and 6 speed vs 5 speed. 3.2L coupes are extremely rare so most 3.2L cars tend to be the heavier targas.

Thanks for the clarification. I was just thinking miles, not years. Good point. The struggle I'm having is should I look for a 93 or 94 with 60-70K miles or a 97-98 with fewer miles. I'm thinking that if I can find a 93 or 94 with miles in the 60,000 range that has been taken care of, I could save enough money over a newer model (97-98) with 40-50K miles to cover any unexpected maintanence.

Ike:

1. My 1996 has 24,000 miles on it and decided to do the TB/WP, values, other belts and a few things you do while its all torn apart. So I think maintenance for the TB is 7 years, mine done after 14 years and looked like it was new. So I went way late in "time" for changing the TB but some argue to change by the book. I'd say, many do maintenance at the intervals or later. The key driver for me to do this work when I bought the car was to establish a baseline for the car, and, sleep well at night. These cars are quite pricey on repairs, so always good to get a car that is up to date on maintenance. Oh, and can prove it with receipts.

2. Price to include sales tax and deferred maintenance costs will drive what you purchase unless money is no object. I believe the 91-94 cars had more issues than the later models. (check Wiki here for information). I personally think the pre NA2 91-96 offer better value for money, once you get into the 3.2's the price jumps a bit and even more for 2002-05. For me, the extra power was not an issue, all the other qualities about the car were...and an NSX-T was desirable for me hence the '96. You will probably get varying views on this subject as well as question #1.

So in the end, if you desire a late model and have $30,000 to spend out the door, highly unlikely you'll find one in any condition. I bought my car in superb condition but still ended up paying $2,600ish to get my baseline and a car that truly needs nothing. Good luck in finding your car..took me 18 months of hard searching and 3 years before that drooling on this site. Longest thing I've ever had on my to do list!!

What ever I get I would plan to do most of that stuff right away, unless it had recently been done. Did a similar thing when I bought my 02 M5 - changed all the fluids right away. You are spot on that setting the baseline gives you some piece of mind. Patience is the key to the search, right?

What ever I get I would plan to do most of that stuff right away, unless it had recently been done. Did a similar thing when I bought my 02 M5 - changed all the fluids right away. You are spot on that setting the baseline gives you some piece of mind. Patience is the key to the search, right?

Patience, big time!! You want to get the right car for you. Top 5. #1 is color, #2 is history #3 mileage #4 year range #5 maintenance.

Since the average annual miles for an NSX is only 5,000 the service intervals are dictated by time and not mileage. Many choose to play it safe and replace on time but others gamble and usually get away with it. I think it depends on your driving habits. If your going on spirited drives regularly and hitting the magic 8Gs all the time then you may want to do it on time.

I chose to get an early car and upgrade the exhaust which puts it even with the 3.2L. Adding headers or an earlier exhaust manifolds with a good cat back exhaust really wakes up the 3.0L. I like the lighter chassis and for me the head room was the primary concern. The early cars are more conducive to engine mods since they are OBD1. You have 2 less O2 sensors. I also don't mind the lack of power steering in the early models. Just have to get the car moving and it will turn.

Just take your time and find one that has been taken care of. Maintenence records are instrumental in ensuring a good buy. I would recommend a Pre Purchase Inspection with a compression check also.

Good Luck on your search :smile:

Last edited:
Patience, big time!! You want to get the right car for you. Top 5. #1 is color, #2 is history #3 mileage #4 year range #5 maintenance.

Not necessarily in that order. I've found that #5 is really the most important! Most people have one color or another they just don't want - but several others would be fine - I would take great condition and lower miles over all others and classify that in either the 3.0 or 3.2.

There are reasons to go to both ends of the spectrum. I would also say this - your budget needs to be split up into two groups and it's kind of a sliding scale. If you buy an early car then you should schedule 5+k in maintenance to go with whatever purchase price range you pick. That maintenance number is directly related to the model year of the car. So for example a basic rule of thumb, realizing there are exceptions, the newer the car the less you'll need on reserve for maintenance but even that is mileage dependant to a varying degree.

Obviously the newest model with the fewest miles will be the most expensive and will need the least in terms of maintenance. The older it is the more you need to pay attention to the service history and that goes up exponentially as the mileage increases. For example - and I believe mine is a good example of an early car - that had decent maintenance. I paid 28.5 for my 91 and have spent to date about 6k on it. Now I felt I had to do the Timing belt, water pump, hoses right off. Other things I hadn't really figured on was a clutch/master and slave and steering rack. I believe I could have avoided replacing the rack but that's hard to say. I had a real expert working on my car - not some dealer's jock. If you bought say an 05 with 23k miles on it - then I wouldn't be doing anything to it.

Question is to you - what's your budget and remember you'll spend it on the purchase price and maintenance if it's older or just the purchase price if it's almost new (5 years that is) with low miles. How do you want to spend your money? Do you want the 3.2 with 6 speed or will the 3.0/5 speed be fine??? Stuff to think about - but above all - whatever you buy- get history/service/condition/mileage over everything else!

Well, at first I was thinking a newer car around $40K with fewer miles, but when I look at some of the older ones with higher miles, say 60-70,000, looks like you can get them in the mid-upper $20s. If I factor in $5k for maintenance on the older model, I still save $10-15K. I would only put 4-5,000 miles on per year, but I am a little nervous about buying a car with that many miles. Also, as someone pointed out, the older models don't have power steering. I must have missed that point in my initial investigation of the car. Not so sure lack of power steering would sit well with my wife. For those of you that have a pre-95 car with no power steering, could you please comment on this? Thanks.

Ike:

Sort out the show stoppers in purchasing your car. If power steering is a must then cross off car years with no power steering (I find power steering cars okay but like it versus not having). Color, are you good with a black NSX or must it be red or silver.

My show stoppers: must be red, under 50,000 miles, records since new, pass a PPI.

My car 1996 red, 23,500 miles at purchase, had all prior 2 owner records since new, PPI no issues.

If you take a look at the "Changes by year" in the wiki, you'll find that the NSX hasnt really changed in the 15 years that it was made. Having no power steering is not that bad in the NSX considering the front end of the car is so light. Once the car is moving, its not an issue; I can turn no problem with 1 hand. However, if you are parallel parking, you'll need two hands.

And you said the wife will be driving it? So are you getting a manual or automatic? Cuz autotragics come with power steering for all years.

the above post is not true.
the nsx changed substantially in the 1997 model year (intro of na2)

-all new body panels, made out of thinner but stronger aluminum (higher grade)
-3.2 liter engine
-most important change in my opinion is 6 speed tranny (5 speed had too tall of 2nd gear in the us (different ratios were used in japan)
-power steering

2001 saw better abs system (this is a 1.5K upgrade to pre 01 nsx)

2002 saw substantial body upgrades that are very expensive to add to an earlier car and silver stiched dash / door panels, shift boot, different silver trim interior etc. (these exterior and interior changes are prohibitively expensive, so if you like these changes , you are better off purchasing a 02+

so my point is the the changes made for 1997 are prohibitively expensive to make to a na1. the 2001 abs change and the 2002 changes are also very expensive to retrofit to an earlier car, so i would drive and look at the different year cutoffs and make sure you buy the version you like the most, as opposed to finding out later.

the above post is not true.
the nsx changed substantially in the 1997 model year (intro of na2)

-all new body panels, made out of thinner but stronger aluminum (higher grade)
-3.2 liter engine
-most important change in my opinion is 6 speed tranny (5 speed had too tall of 2nd gear in the us (different ratios were used in japan)
-power steering

2001 saw better abs system (this is a 1.5K upgrade to pre 01 nsx)

2002 saw substantial body upgrades that are very expensive to add to an earlier car and silver stiched dash / door panels, shift boot, different silver trim interior etc. (these exterior and interior changes are prohibitively expensive, so if you like these changes , you are better off purchasing a 02+

so my point is the the changes made for 1997 are prohibitively expensive to make to a na1. the 2001 abs change and the 2002 changes are also very expensive to retrofit to an earlier car, so i would drive and look at the different year cutoffs and make sure you buy the version you like the most, as opposed to finding out later.

Well said - good post and says a lot. I am sitting here thinking about all this myself as I have since I bought my car! There are changes in the cars and you really owe it to yourself to go at this slow enough to make an educated choice.

You, Ike, are at the cross roads of a big decision and it's not easy to make it. As you say on the one hand you could buy a higher mile early car and save a lot of money and have plenty to do maintenance - not a bad idea. On the other hand you could go later in model years and get some upgrades like the ABS system - which by the way is a good one and 3.2/6 speed - lots of folks say those are good and power steering - which some say they don't need.

On the power steering point - I've come up thru the years having witnessed the total advent of Power steering and have not had it on many of my cars and have had it on some others. On the NSX it isn't that big a deal but to a woman it may be! That's a caveat that isn't usually discussed here. Most women that buy these cars - maybe all of them - have the later models with PS. It doesn't bother me cause the car is light but it does take a little wrestling when you putting it thru it's paces in the twisties. So would I rather have it - don't know have never driven one with it. I may!

There is more to this than simply looking at dollars - as in purchase price and maintenance. You might be better off with a later model because you have to factor this into the equation - take my example and this isn't a bad one to use as a measuring stick. Is my car worth what I have in it? 34k? Read on.

I now have a 91 with 45k miles in great shape - good looking car - paint is almost new looking especially from 3 feet. The interior seats are in great shape as is the rest. The radio and AC have all been gone thru by the PO - that's a biggy too! There are some great things about the early models - they are lighter - and coupes offer more head room and they don't creak as much. This thing about the taller 2nd gear - is really a good thing. If you ever were to SC your car the taller 5 speed is a good choice of tranny! That tall second gear keeps you in the sweet spot when you're in the twisties w/o an SC- you can rev and stay right in the power band. There is very little need in the twisties to ever get out of 2nd or any other cruising too. I don't mind that tall second - it helps me. You can pick up some quicker 0-60 times with the shorter Japan gears though - 1 second. Do you need it - well how good a driver are you????? Maybe not.

Question is - are the later improvements worth it - I bet they are! Some say no - some wouldn't have anything but the early coupes. Those that I've talked with that have had the full range of NSXs have landed in the later 02+ years - what does that tell you? You better drive em both or in my way of thinking all three. I believe that we have 3 models - NA1, NA2 and NA3 even though technically that's not quite true - but for conversation I put the 02+ in the NA3 "catagory" just for ease of talking about em. Folks have their own ideas about that and purist this and purist that - big deal. The head lights and other things put the 02+ in another catagory in my mind. They are the last of a series and underwent changes. Biggest change though is the 3.2/6 speed which happened in 97 and then most of what you find with rare exceptions are targas - for tooling around and enjoying cruising and fun driving - having a top that comes off maybe a great thing.

Think it thru carefully, talk with members here, drive some - take your time and make the right decision for you that you will not regret after a year of ownership. I don't regret mine but I may have to trade up one day. We'll see.

The power steering is only active up to 35mph if I remember correctly. It is mainly to help in parking situations. A woman can handle it without as long as she doesn't expect to crank the wheel while it is stopped.

I agree with Tim on the 2nd gear with the 5 speed. I love it. Another good reason is for getting on the freeway. Its great because its good to 80mph. Sure makes on-ramps very fun. I find myself wanting to exit the freeway so I can get back on again :biggrin:

The positive things the early cars have going for them are the stiffer, lighter chassis, OBD1 emissions, bigger arm rest console space, bigger glove box due to no airbag on the pass side. I think the early clutch design is a positive..IMO
Also the block on the 3.0 has more meat on it than the 3.2...making it good for high boost applications.

The negatives are snap ring issues, A/C evaps were problematic, window regulator thingies, old ABS system, smaller rotors, restrictive exhaust manifolds.

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head anyway...

Thanks everybody for some really good insight. For sure I would get a manual transmission (the wife is very good with them), but the lack of power steering could be an issue for her. Her being able to drive the car is part of the deal of me being able to get one. So, looks like I will need to look at post '95 cars and see if it makes sense for me to pursue. Also, color would be a factor - red or yellow. Since I have never driven one, that would be another nice thing to be able to do. Maybe it would not feel right (doubt it) and I would stop thinking about it. Unfortunately, there are none for sale here in Minnesota, so a test drive is not in the cards right now. Maybe this Spring.

Thanks everybody for some really good insight. For sure I would get a manual transmission (the wife is very good with them), but the lack of power steering could be an issue for her. Her being able to drive the car is part of the deal of me being able to get one. So, looks like I will need to look at post '95 cars and see if it makes sense for me to pursue. Also, color would be a factor - red or yellow. Since I have never driven one, that would be another nice thing to be able to do. Maybe it would not feel right (doubt it) and I would stop thinking about it. Unfortunately, there are none for sale here in Minnesota, so a test drive is not in the cards right now. Maybe this Spring.

Red would be available for a '95 but Spa yellow wasn't introduced until 1997.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Colors

I was just reading the post about "will I fit in an NSX" and see another possible issue for me. I am 6'3", 210 lbs. with a 32" inseam. Sounds like it might be tight on headroom. I see that BigD is 6'3" with a 35" inseam, so maybe not. Sounds like for sure I would not fit with a helmet. Had the same issue with my '97 M3.

I was just reading the post about "will I fit in an NSX" and see another possible issue for me. I am 6'3", 210 lbs. with a 32" inseam. Sounds like it might be tight on headroom. I see that BigD is 6'3" with a 35" inseam, so maybe not. Sounds like for sure I would not fit with a helmet. Had the same issue with my '97 M3.

I think a coupe would be a better choice for you then. Get yourself a thinner seat cushion and you would probably be okay. Find someone that will let you sit in theirs to see how it feels.

Tough spot I could be in - a pre '95 coupe so I get headroom or a post 95 targa with PS so my wife can enjoy. Sounding like an NSX may not work for me, although you are right I really need to sit in one to confirm.

You can also change out the stock seat cushion for an aftermarket one that gives you more headroom. It also depends on how you are built. I'm 6'0" and have a couple inches of headroom, but my buddy who is the same height doesn't fit because he is all upper torso. When I switch seat cushions, I can actually drive with a helmet on.

The lack of power steering isn't too bad. You feel it most when you are trying to parallel park. On the road, you would never know.

You really need to try both the targa and coupe to see which one works best for you and your wife.

Depends on where your height is. (legs or upper body). The longer your legs the better you will fit in the nsx, the longer your upper body the more you will have trouble fitting. I am 6 feet with 32 inch legs and no problems with a targa, however i have a friend that is built more like fred flintstone and his head rubs. The coupe has more headroom if you need it.

Tough spot I could be in - a pre '95 coupe so I get headroom or a post 95 targa with PS so my wife can enjoy. Sounding like an NSX may not work for me, although you are right I really need to sit in one to confirm.

Ike-
Shameless plug, you can get a rare 99 coupe that has BOTH the PS and headroom and it's a 6 speed. It's in pristine condition located in so cal.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132029

The rarity of the vehicle will hold a little more value than the other NSXs. PM me for more info/questions/pics or ?

Thx

Jeff

Ike-
Shameless plug, you can get a rare 99 coupe that has BOTH the PS and headroom and it's a 6 speed. It's in pristine condition located in so cal.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132029

The rarity of the vehicle will hold a little more value than the other NSXs. PM me for more info/questions/pics or ?

Thx

Jeff

I've seen this car before and I'm wondering why there isn't more about the maintenance of the car on the link - specifically the TB/WP/Hoses. Is that service up to date - and this is a pretty shameless plug but since you put it out there.....
Even though rare - the fact that it's had accident damage/means the paint was comprimised on the body panels - makes the price in my mind a bit on the high side.

I was in Vegas this week and had a chance to sit in an '05. The roof was off, but it was clear that my 6'-3" bod was not meant for a NSX targa. If the roof was on, I would need to recline the seat so far to fit, it would be a very uncomfortable driving position. From the specs. I have seen on line, it looks like the headroom is the same on the coupe, so if that is the case, it looks like my NSX dream may have come to an end. Thanks to all who have provided me advice, as it has been very helpful.

Back