Prospective Buy? Questions about Color, Transmissions, Powersteering

SO the more I look at all the choices, the more I can't decided what NSX to get.

My price range is 26 to 33K and i'm planning to use it as a daily driver and I have never test driven one.

Color: I've always wanted silver but the only silver ones I can afford are the ones with the black roof and pillars. So then i was going to get a black one but then I have to worry about the swirl marks and if its a daily driver its going to eventually get worse. My newest idea is to get the silver one and get the pillars painted but leave the top black(any one done this? anyone know how much this will cost?)

Power-assisted Steering: Should i get a later year so that this is available? or is this a none issue?

Transmission: So I've always wanted a manual transmissions. Currently I have a 300zx with a sports clutch and an ls400. I almost always choose the ls400 just becuase its an automatic and much easier to drive, but also my 300 is a though manual to drive (or at least I think it is). How is the NSX's transmissions? Is it a "relaxed" car to drive when its a manual? Or should I get the automatic with the ugly shifter which also takes away from the exotic "value" of the car?

Just wanted to get some opinions. And if there is anyone in the bay area that would like to help me out, that would be great. Thanks.

No power steering is not an issue. The car is well balanced and non PS steers rather easily. Silver is a great and prefered color but most prefer the black top as well. OEM clutch is very easy on the leg for daily commuting, and the trans. is nice and smooth.

Black is a B!TCH to keep clean. Then with the nsx, you HAVE TO keep it clean or it's just plain wrong. Can't get away with having a dirty black nsx. Go anything other than black for a daily driver. I'll never buy another black car again in my life unless I'm rolling in cash.

Buy a manual.

Power steering only works at low speeds. For daily driver, it's preferable to have it but only more to go wrong and EXPENSIVE to repair. It's not necessary, just makes life easier.

Oh yeah, and dark interior. The ivory carpet gets nasty quick just from walking around in your shoes. Mine turn to black the first day I clean them.

Stock clutch is very soft. Aftermarkets are a beast to leg press. I've got aftermarket and gotten used to it. In comparison since it's been a few years now is that stock feels like its "broken" since it's so light feeling to me. If you can get stock, stick with stock. Aftermarket requires you to slip alot more or launch harder to get rolling. I launch harder/

Last edited:
^^^^LOL, great point on black. I'll wash/wax mine and park it in the garage for a week or so. Dust settles and it looks dirty again.:rolleyes:

Black is a B!TCH to keep clean. Then with the nsx, you HAVE TO keep it clean or it's just plain wrong. Can't get away with having a dirty black nsx. Go anything other than black for a daily driver. I'll never buy another black car again in my life unless I'm rolling in cash.

Buy a manual.

Power steering only works at low speeds. For daily driver, it's preferable to have it but only more to go wrong and EXPENSIVE to repair. It's not necessary, just makes life easier.

Oh yeah, and dark interior. The ivory carpet gets nasty quick just from walking around in your shoes. Mine turn to black the first day I clean them.

Stock clutch is very soft. Aftermarkets are a beast to leg press. I've got aftermarket and gotten used to it. In comparison since it's been a few years now is that stock feels like its "broken" since it's so light feeling to me. If you can get stock, stick with stock. Aftermarket requires you to slip alot more or launch harder to get rolling. I launch harder/

black is for CHAMPs =]

I had a black nsx a long time ago.... I had to litterly wash it everytime I drove it. Even dust is easy to spot on a detailed black vehicle. The silver one I could prolong the washes. I'm sure white is very easy to keep clean as well.

Here you go. If I did'nt have mine this would be in my garage "TODAY". http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111925

Omg, that's like the best car I've ever seen! :wink::biggrin::wink:
:tongue:

The silver is incredibly easy to take care of...I think it hides everything. I used to just wipe down/wax the black roof on mine before get togethers....

My '03 is black...I can't believe how much dust collects on these things just sitting in the garage!! I had no idea!

Last edited:

The silver is incredibly easy to take care of...I think it hides everything. I used to just wipe down/wax the black roof on mine before get togethers....

My '03 is black...I can't believe how much dust collects on these things just sitting in the garage!! I had no idea!
Incredible car, incredible deal.:frown:

Last edited:
My newest idea is to get the silver one and get the pillars painted but leave the top black(any one done this? anyone know how much this will cost?)
This I'd want to see if you do it.. I don't think I've ever seen it done. I thought mine was a little out there, I have the pilars black and the roof white... which is pretty much the opposite of your idea... I love it!

I'm sure white is very easy to keep clean as well.
It's extremely easy! I recommend white.

You do not have to fear black. I have had several black cars in my life and nothing looks better. I seem to always come back to black. I use ICE synthetic detail spray, and it makes the car look amazing and it's a breeze to apply and wipe off leaving an amazing gloss. Use a tan flannel car cover in the garage, when you remove the cover there are little lint particles on it but as soon as you drive they are gone as they blow right off the ICE coating because it is so slippery.

This has been the easiest black car I have ever maintained in all my years.

You will get a lot of compliments on the paint with this system, Don't fear black, it looks real hot and the advantage to bying an old all black NSX, it doesn't look any different from a 2001.

Tytus

Last edited:

Out of the color choices for a 91 that's the reason I'm looking at silver. Black is baaaaaad. We went a year without washing our silver pathfinder and it actually didn't look that bad. I'm not very good about keeping my cars clean, so a black NSX seems like a horrible idea for me. :tongue:

Greetings

I drive a black 2003 with an automatic to work in Silicon Valley, Ca every day. I use ICE as a treatment so that it looks clean. I usually wash it once a week. There are times when it is rainy and it will be dirty -- so would any other car. Get the color that you like.

Cheers,
Martin

Back