Prospective 1991 NSX Automatic -- Snap Gear Range?

Hi all. I'm very interested in a '91 NSX. It's an automatic. I'm concerned about "snap gear range." Again, the car's an automatic. Is the snap gear range an issue? How can I tell if it is? And if is a concern, what should have been done to the car to correct it. Thanks in advance for your input.

Thanks. That's what I thought too: That the snap gear range only applies to manual transmissions, not the automatics. If anyone else can confirm, please do so. I'd appreciate it.

Do the 1991 model year builds have a passenger airbag? I thought I saw in some of the postings on this site (great site, by the way!) that the 91's do not have a passenger side airbag. I also thought I saw postings which suggested that the 91's also do not have power steering. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again in advance.

Thanks and congratulations on picking up your 91 today. What color and how do you like it? Is it a manual and was the snap gear range corrected already?

Do you know as was the reply of the other member that the 91 automatics are not subject to the snap gear range?

well here is a picture.. :)

mynsx1.jpg

yes.. mine is not in the snapring range.

here's the tsb

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/TSB_93-010

and here is the page you're looking for.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Main_Page

Beautiful black color and the ivory interior looks fantastic. The 91 I'm interested in is a black on black. Is the insurance cost on your "new" 91 reasonable?

Thanks for the links to the great information in your previous posting.

That's sounds like a nice and reasonable insurance cost. How long did you search before you picked your 91 up today? It's amazing, isn't it, how these 18 year old NSX's are truly still supercars and thrilling today. Acura did it right starting nearly two decades ago.

around two months... found my baby on cars.com.

It was very close to me. (closest one, actually) and the mileage can't be beat.

met the owner and talked cars a little bit. He knew I was not a tire kicker when I start by checking the transmission serial number. He gave me a great price as the result because he knows I am not wasting his time and will take care of the car.

The key is to do your research! I read almost every single article in the wiki and it will show when you checking out cars. Most owners are weary of tire kickers and joy riders. Your knowledge will put their mind at ease.

Welcome :) Snap ring issues apply to manual transmission cars only.

Thanks everyone for your great and informative posts. I'm not familar I confess with the "transmission serial number." Should that be something I check on this 91 automatic for sale?

Where is the car that you are looking at located, and how much are they asking for it?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your great and informative posts. I'm not familar I confess with the "transmission serial number." Should that be something I check on this 91 automatic for sale?

Kenny, NOT TO WORRY about the Automatic Transmission car being in the snap ring range. The snap ring is only in the Manual Transmission.

A 91 will not have a passenger side air bag.

The Automatic Transmission cars have the electronic power steering, the first cars ever to have it... the 91 to 94 manual transmission cars do not have power steering... the power is supplied by your arms.

Enjoy the hunt.

Thanks everyone for your great feedback. I phoned the seller (a dealership) and found out they have no maintenance records whatsoever on the vehicle. Their Carfax shows it was sold originally out of state and passed through several auctions over the years since before arriving in state at the dealership. The car has 90,000 miles on it. I was disappointed they have no records and weren't able to shed any light on whether the timing belt, water pump, coolant hoses have been changed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone for your great feedback. I phoned the seller (a dealership) and found out they have no maintenance records whatsoever on the vehicle. Their Carfax shows it was sold originally out of state and passed through several auctions over the years since before arriving in state at the dealership. The car has 90,000 miles on it. I was disappointed they have no records and weren't able to shed any light on whether the timing belt, water pump, coolant hoses have been changed.

Any thoughts?

I would pass. Do you really have to have an auto? That limits your selection to slim and none.

Thanks. I think I'll pass on this one. The absence of any records whatsoever is from what I've come to appreciate by reading some of the postings and Wiki on this site is bad news. I agree with those owners who have stated on the site that it's better to buy a model which has detailed records than one that doesn't even if the detailed records one has a lot higher mileage than the one without records.

Back