pros & cons to a cars look in the over $100k range?

I just keep looking at all the new Front engine cars coming with huge HP.

What's the point of spending over $100k to get something that looks like a Supra or 350Z? Tomorrows new super-cars seem to blend-in too much.

I guess I"m asking for some design "study" explination of why people feel "lust" for mid-engine...but few car makers can build one.

MR2 1991-1997 and NSX were so much fun to drive. Why should only Ferrari and Lambo build the mid-eninge car (and only the highest price range)?

bfi1170727886q.jpg

There are a lot of new mid-engined cars coming out in the next few years.
Replacement to current lotus elise, tesla motors roadster, 2009 lotus esprit, 2008 audi R8, Brammo GT and Ronin GT(www.brammo.com), ariel atom, ktm roadster thingy(atom look alike), BMW Z10(may be front engined however), Merced-Mclaren SLS, Hoping honda will go midengine as well in the end. Um....lots of start up companies like caparo T1, mbroadcars(http://www.mbroadcars.com/), pagani may be making an entry level model. Did i miss anything

Another design question that comes to mind.... Would people have been ok with Honda keeping the mid-engine car but changing from the wedge shape (Esprit,NSX,355) to the more rounded shape (911,R8) ???

I just wanted to see the two cars in a side-by-side and see what all the Audi lovers see in the new R8 compaired to the old NSX.

klz1170733847m.jpg

My biggest grip of the cars on this list is the poor reliability of these cars. Even the Cayman is only so-so in reliability. Take a look at the latest JD power rating, Mercedes is bottom end of the spectrum and BMW are in the middle bottom segment. This is where the NSX stands out. Typical Honda reliability with Ferrari good looks for 1/2 the price.

There are a lot of new mid-engined cars coming out in the next few years.
Replacement to current lotus elise, tesla motors roadster, 2009 lotus esprit, 2008 audi R8, Brammo GT and Ronin GT(www.brammo.com), ariel atom, ktm roadster thingy(atom look alike), BMW Z10(may be front engined however), Merced-Mclaren SLS, Hoping honda will go midengine as well in the end. Um....lots of start up companies like caparo T1, mbroadcars(http://www.mbroadcars.com/), pagani may be making an entry level model. Did i miss anything

My biggest grip of the cars on this list is the poor reliability of these cars. Even the Cayman is only so-so in reliability. Take a look at the latest JD power rating, Mercedes is bottom end of the spectrum and BMW are in the middle bottom segment. This is where the NSX stands out. Typical Honda reliability with Ferrari good looks for 1/2 the price.

I agree. The given level of hassle associated with unreliable cars, outrageous maint. costs aside, can often ruin the experience and portray a feeling that you paid a lot for a piece of junk. I understand the consequence for the newest and best is complexity and therefore a degree of unreliability, but when you are paying 100k dollars, it better work.

I agree. The given level of hassle associated with unreliable cars, outrageous maint. costs aside, can often ruin the experience and portray a feeling that you paid a lot for a piece of junk. I understand the consequence for the newest and best is complexity and therefore a degree of unreliability, but when you are paying 100k dollars, it better work.

Yep! I totally agree, If you ever owned a S class M-B, You will get the same feeling. BTW, The new S550 is so sweet looking, but the reliablity scares me.

Yep! I totally agree, If you ever owned a S class M-B, You will get the same feeling. BTW, The new S550 is so sweet looking, but the reliablity scares me.

The new S has a ton of issues mostly electrical, we all know about the 7 series problems and of course......who could forget the range rover? Ive never seen an expensive vehicle with more reliability issues than a range rover. I agree with all you guys.......if im paying 100k+ for a car......it better work!

Back