Proper nitrous install (HELP)

baynsac

I need help in making sure I am not forgeting anything safetywise. Hopefully BADCARMA or one of you nitrous guru's can help me finally get this on my NSX. I am going to have it dual stage wet nitrous installed direct port.
I am going to take these steps before the install.
1. Compression test and leak down test
2. Dyno- To see if everything checks out and get a starting point. I have DownForceScoop intake/headers/exhaust
3. Change spark plugs to copper plugs BKR7E gapped at .35
4. Validate pump is working at proper flow level.
Raise the OEM fuel pressure regulator to full time 12v and add a second inline fuel pump to be extra safe.
5. Validate if ignition is putting out enough spark ( OEM LEVEL) make sure check each coil pack is in spec.
6. Replace fuel filter
7. Remove the injectors and get them RC' enginering to clean and have them make it peak hold 15% more flow.
8. Dyno- to see if I gained anything or loss.
If everything is fine with the motor, install the full nitrous kit direct port.
MY question is what do I do from here ?? How do I get it tuned ? what system engine management do I use? Is the a custom chip to make it in 2 modes like one for every day driving and one for when on nitrous? I have no knowledge what so ever when it comes to tuning.

Last edited:
By the way here is the list of parts I allready have so please add if anything else is needed to complete the kit.
Parts list:
Nitrous Express Wet kit
polished 10lb bottle
billet aluminum bottle brackets
Nitrous express solenoids for nitrous and fuel, set of four
Dual stage wet kit fogger nozzle
Single stage wet kit fogger nozzle
jets for 35,50,75 shots
inline nitrous filter and steel braided lines for n2o and fuel
inline nitrous filter and steel braided lines for n2o and fuel
MSD Rpm window activation switch with 3000,5000 and 7000 pills
MSD Rpm activation switch
MSD tach driver
custom mount for MSD boxes
Fuel pressure safety switch,
WOT switch
horn button ring kit for aftermarket steering wheel
Autometer nitrous pressure gauge
nitrous pressure gauge sending unit
Autometer AFR gauge
purge kit
NX bottle warmer

Last edited:
One thing you can do if you haven't opened the MSD window switch stuff is to replace all that with the Zublin window switch sold by Dali. It only cost $50 and can give you the flexibility of turning the system on and off at many preset points. No need for pills or cutting your factory ignition cable. This product even comes with NSX specific instructions found here: http://www.zublin.com/nosrpmswitch/900011-002-A.pdf

It appears that you have prepared yourself very well for this install. Looking at the list of components you have purchased, I can't think of anything else you would need. I have been running nitrous now for 10 years on an assortment of cars. However, I have always used a dry setup which has fewer parts to contend with. A wet system

My system uses a fuel pressure cutoff, window switch & WOT switch. I had to remove my horn activation switch when I went with a Momo (button to far away from fingers) steering wheel or I would have left it on. I like the horn option much better than the WOT switch, as it allows you to leave your system armed and still floor the gas pedal w/o the system activating.
I am by no means an expert in this area, but feel very comfortable with my car and my nitrous system to lend a helping hand if needed.

Good luck!!

Thanks, TitaniumVtec. I will definetly look into the Zublin window switch. I am preparing my car for the install as we speak. I am very excited that Shad from Driving Ambition is doing the install. I will keep everyone updated on the the steps I am taking to ensure the cars health and safe use of nitrous. I will try to get pics but more importantly info on a full nitrous install for future reference for other who would like to go this route. I believe every nsx should have a nice real safe small shot nitrous available if needed at squeeze. Like most of you I will only use it very occasionally, but atleast I know its there if needed.

Hey will NGK spark plug IFR7G-11KS work as well as the BKR7E ??
Also I know you recommend the injectors have to flow 10-15% over stock or will stock ones that have been RC"d to perfect working conditon be fine? They have been cleaned and flow tested by rc to stock specs.
Thanks

Ok update just did the initial starting point dyno. With I/H/E it made 245 hp and 195 lbs TQ on the dyno. I have a few questions:
1. Isn't that low HP/TQ for having intake, headers, and exhaust?
2. Are you suppose to retune your your afr's for the increased flow made by the I/H/E??
3. What are other people making on the dyno with similar mods?

Next is the compression and leakdown test.
Than install the Walbaro high flow fuel pump, RC'd injectors, Fuel filter, change sparkplugs.

Thats close to what I made with the dyno I used.
Just use the same dyno and you'll be ok boss.
Trev

Sonny, that number is right on dead nut average for a 91 with the mods you have ,I see nothing to be concened about,if you sprayed a 75 shot on top of that you would be at 310-320 to the wheels...still concerned:biggrin: dont be. ask the guys in the diy forum what they think.bet most will agree thats well within normal for 3.0 91

best regards david

Re: Proper nitrous install (help)

So all the parts are in all the appointments made for install to be done. This is whats in order next this week. What I learned so far is that its really important to take these steps before you do a nitrous kit install.
1. Compression test and leak down test. This is the deal maker or breaker.

2. Change spark NGK BKR7E gaped at 0.35 (one step colder, or 2 if you are pushing more than 100 hp shot, in that case it will be NGK BKR7E-11's

3. Ignition Coil check for spark and intensity- Validate if ignition is putting out enough spark ( OEM LEVEL) make sure check each coil pack is in spec.

4. Replace fuel filter.

5. Install Oem injectors that have been cleaned to excelent flow conditions by RC' Eng. Or if you can afford to pay a little more get them RC' enginering to clean and have them make it peak hold 15% more flow.

6. Install new Fuel pump or you can get the High Flow Walbaro 255lph Fuel pump.

7. Fuel pressure regulator. I got AEM adjustable. AEM AND B&M make adjustable fuel pressure regulator. A new OEM would work fine too. If you are using the one you have on there now -Validate pump is working at proper flow level.
Raise the OEM fuel pressure regulator to full time 12v and add a second inline fuel pump to be extra safe.

8. Dyno to see how the car running. Make sure A/F looks good.

And next is Dual Stage Direct Port Nitrous install. Also will be getting the SOS big bore throtle body. Got I/E/H/testpipes. Can't wait will post results and dyno's and track times. I think this is a great route to go if you want another 100 hp very safely. Even superchargers and turbos have problems all the time but for half the money and same risk nitrous is a great option. More hp for some especially if you have AEM or another engine management system. Too bad for me its an automatic and they don't have any engine management to knowledge yet. But AEM has product that will be coming out soon for automatic nsx timing and fuel control. Hopefully Devin from AEM can tell us more about that.

Back