Propane Grill

Ok Guys, I need some help. We want to get a new BBQ. We have to have propane because we do not have natural gas in our area.

What should we look for? We want stainless steel. I have seen two different cooking surfaces. Stainless and Porcelain. Which is better?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Do you want a portable or a built-in? The stainless will last longer, and I would recomend that if you are making a long range purchase such as a built-in. Go to http://www.bbqgalore.com/ and look around at their stuff. They have a store in Atlanta that has every grill you could ever imagine. I bought my built-in from them and had it shipped to me in Tampa.
It has come in real handy during our weekly hurricanes!
I prefer charcoal for most grilling, and you can't get much better than the classic Weber, but the gas is fast and easy when you don't want to fool with charcoal.

Generally, the porcelain cooking surface is the nicer quality, and a lot easier to clean. The stainless steel stuff eventually rusts (at least it does on my cheapie Coleman grill).

I have been to this store and it's great! But the prices are a little high, I have a Webber and love it, had it for 4 years now.

T Bolen said:
Do you want a portable or a built-in? The stainless will last longer, and I would recomend that if you are making a long range purchase such as a built-in. Go to http://www.bbqgalore.com/ and look around at their stuff. They have a store in Atlanta that has every grill you could ever imagine. I bought my built-in from them and had it shipped to me in Tampa.
It has come in real handy during our weekly hurricanes!
I prefer charcoal for most grilling, and you can't get much better than the classic Weber, but the gas is fast and easy when you don't want to fool with charcoal.

Ryanmcd2 said:
But the prices are a little high,

Actually, I looked very hard for a high quality built-in gas grille, and found their prices to be really good. An equalivant quality grille from any of the outdoor kitchen stores, Expo, or other web-stores was almost double what I paid.

I have a 100% stainless grill, with the regular chrome-looking wire grates that are ok, but look black after a few cookouts. So I would vote for S.S. body, doors, and hood, at least 3 burners, caster wheels w/ bearings and a temp guage built into the hood. Next time I would get the wider cast grates.

It's important to have a good grid. Porcelain covered cast iron is OK, cast iron is nice because you can get a good sear with it as it holds in heat better. I personally prefer the really thick stainless grids you can buy at BBQ's Galore. They'll cost you about $100 for just the grids alone. They're great for cooking steaks because of the awesome searing power and fairly easy to clean and won't rust on you.

Then again, you can't sear if you don't have enough BTUs... then you also want even distribution of heat... etc. It's a good idea to stop by the barbeque store and talk to someone...

Been loooking for a good quality gas grill myself.

This one looked interesting from Sears. It can be purchased with or without the island kit. (1st picture)

Here is a high-end grill from Viking. The Viking is a good choice for indoor and outdoor appliances, if you're willing to spend the money. (2nd picture)

Attachments

• searsgrill.jpg
    searsgrill.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 123
  • outdoor_kit.jpg
    outdoor_kit.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 120
There is only ONE grill to buy. The NSX of grills - TEC.

http://www.tecinfrared.com/

Every other "high-end" grill (Viking, DCS, etc.) is just a lot of stainless steel wrapped around the same, tired technology that can be found in most basic of models.

No relation to the company. Just a happy, overfed owner.

Back